Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

1678116763423.png

One of those exploding in mission .???
Dont know much about flying
Perhaps not the best video
But they appeared to be going down into the Water nose first .Managed to to save it Fly on one engine which is not Obvious

The Viggen was active when I did Military service .
We was on an Exercise Filed the Officer told us if You look to the south east There is an Aircraft approaching Could not hear it.
Not so low 2 --- 2.5 -- . 3x -- tree tops height -- Guess between 150 --400 m meter hard to tell
Not going max speed ..Not allowed where we were to close to the Town and Mink Farms .
Say close to Mach 1 .I dont know :But I remember thinking --

When the sound came Wrroaaaaa..aaaaaaa ... They dont need any weapons or Rockets everyone on ground surrenders on the Fly Over

Is this real?
Been a long time since I weighed one, but just rough numbers for an empty weigh on a -200 Adv... we'd see about 40,000lbs on each main and about 15-20k on the nose. Add in the stuff to operate and the down force on the nose from deceleration and we're lookin' at 10 to 15 tons that truck needs to support.

Been a long time since I weighed one, but just rough numbers for an empty weigh on a -200 Adv... we'd see about 40,000lbs on each main and about 15-20k on the nose. Add in the stuff to operate and the down force on the nose from deceleration and we're lookin' at 10 to 15 tons that truck needs to support.
I rhought airplanes were "lighter than than air"!!!

Empty weight of a -200 Advanced was about 100,000lbs iirc. Put 150 mph of wind under her wings and she is lighter than air.

... and don't get me started on the 120-140mph that truck would need to pace the 727 in the flare... :laugh2:

I have done the math. Long ago. A Lear has ~ 2 4x8 sheets of plywood for each main wing (gross generalization) . 128 sq feet with a 8 degree AOA develops plenty of lift for a loaded Lear at 130 kts absent any foil design/naca numbers. The foil helps dealind well with various surface velocities bur it seems AOA does the actual lifting. Food for thought. I have spent a good part of my life watching, studieing, adjusting foil shapes on sail boats and sailboards.

I have done the math. Long ago. A Lear has ~ 2 4x8 sheets of plywood for each main wing (gross generalization) . 128 sq feet with a 8 degree AOA develops plenty of lift for a loaded Lear at 130 kts absent any foil design/naca numbers. The foil helps dealind well with various surface velocities bur it seems AOA does the actual lifting. Food for thought. I have spent a good part of my life watching, studieing, adjusting foil shapes on sail boats and sailboards.
Lift is made up of three components.
AOA or the angle of the surface relative to the wind is one.
Another is the difference in pressure between the upper and lower surfaces.
The third is from the downward air flow coming off the trailing edge causing force (lift) in the opposite direction.... ask Newton.
People tend to discount the last one. Anyone who's ever stood under a helicopter try to hook up a sling load knows better.

Last edited:
I designed a sailboard sail impovement years ago. I presented it to the owner of a sail making company (North Sails) for grins and giggles. I sail with and against his sons and daughters and we share a cocktail occasionally. The design goes way beyond camber inducer and develops an actual wing contour. He had reasons to not pursue it. No regrets. I act as "crane operator" on launching and lifting his boat and countless others year in, year out the last 20 years.

I love the ol' Connie. :heart: Did I ever mention I got to fly on her across the big pond.... twice?
May have just been a wee lad, but I still remember 'em.
'Course, the MATS one's I flew on weren't near as posh inside.

1678765624316.png

Sorry guy`s but I`m hooked on this, the DC3 and the F86.:shrug:
View attachment 237679
The "Golden Age of Travel"? My first flights, aged 12, Milwaukee to New York to Dublin and back were, I assume, 707s. I never had a fascination with lesser birds except maybe the venerable DC3. I do remember wearing our "Sunday Best" boarding the aircraft (on a roll up stairway on the apron)😎
I have since done some regional "twin turbo prop" puddle jumpers which I find amusing.
In the service we were shuttled around the Southwest in CH53s and C130s and C5s a few times but the hoot was a deployment to Dugway UT proving grounds where
1678766273633.png

picked us up every morning (and ferried us back each night) for 12-14 weeks and flew us 40-60 miles into the range for Cruise missle Prototype testing against our Radar system

Last edited:
Back