Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Speed of sound (in air) is dependent on the temp of the air, not the altitude.
1679953753411.png
Obviously I was incorrect, it is a complex formula and does not approach that lower 500 mph number I tossed out.

View attachment 239081Obviously I was incorrect, it is a complex formula and does not approach that lower 500 mph number I tossed out.
People falsely believe the sos is dependent on altitude... or pressure if you will. Not your fault, it was taught that way for ages.
Notice how it almost exactly tracks the temperature curve, with no correlation with to pressure or density curves.
Two variables... the medium... ie air, water... steel. And the temp of that medium.

Well now..a boss longtimeago bought an A-26 that was too expensive to fly, 400 gallons per hour I was told...but did did fly it a few times. So I am personally prejudiced. He got it from EPA when one of the presidentes cut their budget. Just sitting in the right seat was a trip!

My personal favorites?

Aircobra (the soviets used these as ground attack and loved 'em...lend lease, we were allies)
B-47 (way ahead of its time...an uncle was a B-47 driver)
TU-95 (flying yet, noisiest flying machine is history)
C-47 (I don't think a C-47 has ever had a structural failure, but that was then, maybe by now...)
Constellation (phuckingbitchen...recallin' the birds climbing out of McClellan AFB)
MiG-15 (Ruskies did the turkey shoot (B-29s) in Korea)
F-86 (and these birds did a good job)
Fairey Swordfish> These torpedo-biplanes flew from carrier and ruined the Italian Fleet in harbor at Toranto, Nov 11 - 12, 1940 Sank more nazi shipping than any other airplane. Pic>
1681303841980.png

The sound made by a V12 RR Merlin as a Spitfire or Hurricane makes a low pass has been described as ripping a piece of calico cloth and is guaranteed to make the hairs on the back of your neck tingle if you have any soul.
It is my favorite sound in the world.

The sound made by a V12 RR Merlin as a Spitfire or Hurricane makes a low pass has been described as ripping a piece of calico cloth and is guaranteed to make the hairs on the back of your neck tingle if you have any soul.
Last time I heard one I was in my back garden in Luton when a Spit passed directly overhead, climbing out of Luton airport.
All the better for being totally unexpected and at something approaching full power, too.

The classic one though...

Last time I heard one I was in my back garden in Luton when a Spit passed directly overhead, climbing out of Luton airport.
All the better for being totally unexpected and at something approaching full power, too.

The classic one though...

That is classic Grimly. Here's another that always has me in stitches....

Back