Just picked this up... first 650

Bullcrappy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I just picked up this 77. Seems fairly solid.

Few things I noticed is when standing and I rev it in gear with clutch in it moved forward ever so slightly. Clutch adjustment should take car of this?

Rear brake is not very strong
Speedo not working
Tach not working although it works intermittently
When I squeeze the brake the motor revs. - I'm newer rider but that doesn't happen on the xs500 I have been tooling around on... weird
I'm told tires are very old but no dry rot. Will replace at some point.

look forward to read through these forums.

WP_20160602_003.jpg

thanks
rich

That is a beauty. Close to, if not the most desirable model.

You dont want the back brake to work well. In fine stock form, they lock up too easy

That is a beauty. Close to, if not the most desirable model.
I read good things about these. Originally I was looking at CB550's and some GS's but after lots of reading these sounded very good.

I care most about handling and stopping. I'm not going to be pushing it real hard.

My first real road bike.

The '77 is pretty much at the apex of the design mechanically, aside from ignition, and doesn't have all the idiot proof safety features.
Yep, she looks good!
Welcome aboard!

Thanks NJ1639.

As I ride it more I am noticing a few things...

front shock seems to be notchy and just drop.. kinda jerky like.

tach/speedo not working (tach intermittently)
Tires are old but not dry rotted at all. But i want to replace with bigger rubber and maybe rims.

looking forward to working on it and driving it as I upgrade here and there...

Read up on the rebuild of the front forks (shocks) I just did mine and did the "Minton mod". Well worth the 4 drilling operations. Easy peasy. You can find tachs and speedos here or ebay and sometimes local craigslist. Or for $$$ get yours rebuilt to like new.
BTW...Nice lookin' one to start with....Welcome to the fold. We're here to help one another.

One thing that annoyed me with my '77 was the clutch.
Starting out in first was like 'nothing, nothing, nothing, Damn! There it is!'
Changed it out to a newer, I think '81, setup.
Having cut my teeth on the much smoother '83 I couldn't get used to the '77.

Nice bike! Yep. You need to go through it.

Don't put big rubber on it. It will handle better with stock size tires.

Change the fork oil. Use 10W and fill it to 130 mm from the top. I researched the Minton fork mod and decided it isn't for me. It will take me the opposite way I want to go. Just know there are dissenting opinions out there on this.

Change the brake fluid! The service manual says replace brake lines every 4 years as I recall. Think about that.

Depending how old they are, you might not want to trust the tires. If the rubber has gone hard, they could be dangerous. I understand you can sometimes get more life by sanding through the hard part with sandpaper.

Check the sump screen!

Good luck!

Just change fork oil , if that dont do it for you, then minton mods. Of your a heavier guy, 15 wt is good. Im 240#'s, 15wt feels good. Adding an extra oz helps too.

Thanks guys all good info. Brake fluid is getting changed next weekend and thanks I am changing oil today. Will check sump screen.

Tires are first thing after oil and brake fluid then I will get to forks later in month.

I am going bigger on tires as this will be a kind of dual sport when done.
some trail riding (fire trails, etc in NJ, Pa and eventual a trip out west) and I like the look!

I will just be cruising, no high speed passes or leaning it over a ton etc.

I am 6'4" 220 but forks seem jerk and not smooth...something is wrong even if not valved for my weight.

Back