Just Picked this Up Today!! 1971 Yamaha XS1B 650

You don't need a chain breaker to split it. Just grind the rivets off and use a small punch to split it. Do not reuse the old chain, replace with a new one.
You will need to find your tool to install the new chain.

You don't need a chain breaker to split it. Just grind the rivets off and use a small punch to split it. Do not reuse the old chain, replace with a new one.
You will need to find your tool to install the new chain.
Well, in that case, I can easily do that. I guess I will put a new chain on my order list. Why not use the old chain, though?

Thanks

Well, in that case, I can easily do that. I guess I will put a new chain on my order list. Why not use the old chain, though?

Thanks
Chains stretch. Reusing it would be like taking your tires off the wheels so you can sandblast and powder coat them in some beautiful chrome color... then putting the same old tires back on.

There's an old saying I go by.... "if ya gotta pull the engine apart to replace something, replace it while the engine's apart."
Chains fall into that "something" category.

Thanks
Cam chain and front guide is the weakest part of a XS650 engine. Chain stretches too much and you will loss compression.

Cam chain and front guide is the weakest part of a XS650 engine. Chain stretches too much and you will loss compression.

I figured it was most likely due to chain stretch, but just wanted to hear if it was that and possible weak link in the new master link, etc..

Thanks!

Somewhere months ago, I was admiring the looks of the XS2 front fender setup and thought that is what I want for my XS1B. Then, I saw a picture of an XS1B with that type of setup and found the alternate fender and mounting stays in the parts list on CMSNL. So, I initially jumped the gun and purchased a 1972 front fender with stays only to realize that the center mount is totally different and of course is riveted on. No big deal. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I figured out, that I could remove the stays from my '71 fender while allowing the center mounts to remain in place. I posted a want ad in the Classifieds section, and concurrently, it hit me that I should try mounting the XS2 stays to the '71 fender and see if it would work. So, I got this task accomplished today, and it is a good start. It looks like it might need some tweaking, and I think I might need another upper stay to replace the rear lower stay, in order to balance it out at the rear. We'll figure it out!

Attachments

• Front Fender with XS2 Stays #1.jpg
    Front Fender with XS2 Stays #1.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Front Fender with XS2 Stays #2.jpg
    Front Fender with XS2 Stays #2.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Front Fender with XS2 Stays #3.jpg
    Front Fender with XS2 Stays #3.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Front Fender with XS2 Stays #4.jpg
    Front Fender with XS2 Stays #4.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 36
Thanks! Yeah, that stood out to me immediately. It also doesn't help that the tire is a lower-profile tire. So, I have to figure that out. But, it's a start!

Yup I've put both 3.25 and 3.50 tires on XS1's prefer the 3.50 for looks.
View attachment 256036
View attachment 256040
I just wonder how much minor massaging is needed to make that fitment to look proper? A thick black rubber spacer washer at each thru fender mount bolts and a slotting of the fork mount bracket might do the trick. Just speculating on my end. Being a shaker it is not uncommon to find thick rubber bushings on various mounted parts.

I just wonder how much minor massaging is needed to make that fitment to look proper?
Might be trickier than you'd think. I think that one will work brought closer but often the fender radius won't match the tire radius, if you bring the center close, the ends will still be sticking out.
madness: special fender dropped down on a wide low profile 18" tire.
front RH.jpg

Last edited:
Might be trickier than you'd think. Ithink that one will work brought closer but often the fender radius won't match the tire radius, if you bring the center close, the ends will still be sticking out.

Obviously, the trick would be to score some OEM 1971 stays for the alternate fitting/Euro and elsewhere fender....as well as the complete setup.

Might be trickier than you'd think. Ithink that one will work brought closer but often the fender radius won't match the tire radius, if you bring the center close, the ends will still be sticking out.
View attachment 256041
1701043174352.png

My though with one picture here suggested that dropping and centering it MIGHT work. That is the zero$ option. While I am good at spend my own $ when needed, I try to find a workable and presentable outcome. I am guessing those are original fender stays and there is little slot room at the fork mounts and cutting/shortening them (rechrome included) is $ prohibitive.

Back