Just Picked this Up Today!! 1971 Yamaha XS1B 650

I was not on the same page as the boys suggesting take out the engine ..for a while
But i am getting towards that now.
Now the cylinders can be inspected with a bore-scope
But being a seized engine .. and now things have fallen in after the drilling ( or am I wrong )
Even if it can get unstuck is it possible to start it and run.??
Without risk . I dont know please correct me if I am wrong.
I am thinking metal shavings now in there How get them out ??
And with the cylinder head off -- there are far better possibilities do something on the stuck spark plug.
Even take it to a shop if nothing else.

I'd never seen one 'till I had to do a plug hole for a buddy last year. After using it, I'll never go back to the plain ol' tap.

Going with any solutions listed above, turn the motor by hand until the exhaust port/valve is open. Remove the head pipe and connect a vacuum cleaner to the exhaust port. This should evacuate any shavings. I did this on an XJ650RJ 40 years ago and the bike was flawless for the next 45000 miles.

Are we talking steel shavings or aluminum ? I have worked with excavators and with steel particles / shavings in the hydraulic oil
it quickly went south for the piston rods and seals. Scratching the cylinder chrome surface.
Not saying it is not an option here but feels risky
Assume it is a usable low mileage cylinder
But I do understand the upside especially summer coming up if it can be done without tearing it down --- is a good thing getting some miles for evaluation of the bike.

Are we talking steel shavings or aluminum ? I have worked with excavators and with steel particles / shavings in the hydraulic oil
it quickly went south for the piston rods and seals. Scratching the cylinder chrome surface.
Not saying it is not an option here but feels risky
Assume it is a usable low mileage cylinder
But I do understand the upside especially summer coming up if it can be done without tearing it down --- is a good thing getting some miles for evaluation of the bike.

I stuck a magnet down in the cylinder several times today and picked up lots of metal swarf. With the junk I was able to pick up, I am definitely going to pull the head to ensure a 100% cleanup.

Added off-road diesel to the cylinders a few days ago, so will give it a bit to hopefully let me get it freed up. I purchased that spark plug repair kit from AutoZone and I am now waiting on a 12.8 mm drill bit to open the hole for the M14x1.25 tap.

You might try heating the block with a heatgun/hairdryer. As it cools it will draw the diesel into little voids.
I did hit it with my propane torch but that doesn't heat uniformly and a heat gun is on my list of wants. I forgot about using a hair dryer and will borrow the ol' lady's, thanks!

I did hit it with my propane torch but that doesn't heat uniformly and a heat gun is on my list of wants. I forgot about using a hair dryer and will borrow the ol' lady's, thanks!
Using a flame is never a good idea

Score!!

I found this gas tank on eBay and other than the badge cutouts being glassed over, it is in pretty nice condition!

Attachments

• Gas Tank #2.jpg
    Gas Tank #2.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Gas Tank #3.jpg
    Gas Tank #3.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Gas Tank #4.jpg
    Gas Tank #4.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Gas Tank #1A.jpg
    Gas Tank #1A.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 60
It got up to 60 degrees today, so I played around with it. Having a tank and seat on it, really gives it back its personality, and really sets up the various ideas for the finished product going forward!!

Attachments

• Gas Tank #2J.jpg
    Gas Tank #2J.jpg
    689.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Gas Tank #2H.jpg
    Gas Tank #2H.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 70
Hey Jon, looking good but what’s that Triumph in the background? Lol
Looks like a 79 Bonneville, the year with Lester mag wheels on them. ;)

That is correct! It's a 1979 Triumph T140D 750 Bonneville Special. I picked it up a few years ago for not too much. However, it was left laying on its side for several years in the elements, and is going to take quite a bit, to return it to service. Fortunately, I have accepted the challenge!!

Loading up those cylinders with marvel mystery oil accompanied by lots of patience, and pushing forward and backward worked a treat for me.
I love that whisper of a front fender.

How’s the progress on getting that engine free?
Unsuccessful so far but of course, I haven't messed with it over the winter. I am going to remove the diesel I poured into the cylinders and try the Marvel Mystery Oil. I am also going to remove the stator assembly cover and put another washer on the crank end, and try and budge it.

Loading up those cylinders with marvel mystery oil accompanied by lots of patience, and pushing forward and backward worked a treat for me.
I love that whisper of a front fender.
There is no chain on this bike, and the front sprocket is burnt toast as far as the teeth go. I did buy a 36mm socket to rock it back and forth with, as well as to have the proper socket in order to remove the nut. I am going to suck out the diesel fuel in the cylinders and try the Marvel Mystery Oil.

Back