Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There's a ford near here that people drive through as a shortcut, no bridge at all. The river is only about a foot deep there usually, if that, with a cobblestone bottom. Has been a river ford since ancient times. Just normal cars going through it, rate of about one every 15 minutes - half hour.
found a picture of it, prob. 15 yrs old. trigger still has her (his?) buckhorn bars
DSCI0530.JPG

Sikeston, Mo. freezing my ass off and after having discovered a few days before the tent I brought leaked badly. Earliest opportunity I went to a farm store I noticed and bought a big sheet of plastic. Huge fat proprietor, like "My 500 Pound Life" material asked what kind of bike I had. I said 650. He said you can't go nowhere on that. He was probably speaking from personal experience. After second day went to motel across the street and stayed for two or three days at the pity rate of $30 a night, till I figured out how to get out of this mess. I didn't think I was going to die, but I was miserable although I was used to some pretty rugged shit that seemed normal to me. My previous experience was two coats of Thompson's Water Seal brushed onto any tent would make it waterproof, but not this piece of shit.

sikeston mo campsite rain and 40 deg decided to go south.jpg

Decided to go to Austin, where my little better than dial-up motel internet connection was telling me was the closest place that was warm. Got a job at my campsite in Austin, met a lot of people, and then graduated to house rental. One rule of the road is don't turn down any invitation. Okay, maybe some.

Many incredible mansions in Austin. I heard this one belonged to a game developer. If you zoom in, the dark dome is an astronomical observatory. There was another one with an observatory visible from the same road, the road to work from my house. Keeping up with the superJoneses I suppose. I rode down into that compound one day to look around and there was a guy standing on a balcony watching me, who looked like he lived there. I didn't wave or say anything. Another rule of the road is never be shy.

mansion w observatory on road to  park.jpg

Then after a long day at work, a dinner at Ski Shores, on the same road. Somebody said the manision on the hill, that looked remarkably like the White House, belonged to Willie Nelson. I asked somebody if it belonged to Willie Nelson and they started laughing. Another rule of the road is if you accidentally make a joke, pretend it's on purpose

cafe near park typical mansions in bg.jpg

Sometimes it's the hardship that makes adventure memorable
Yes, but you need phrase of importance to mark the moment.
Sitting on a boat in the middle of a frozen river in December, resting, with a beer and a smoke, from breaking ice infront of us to progress to shore my buddy who got me into that predicament smiled and said "Most people don't get the chance to do something like this" :)

Sometimes it's the hardship that makes adventure memorable

Yes, but you need phrase of importance to mark the moment.
Something like dude your leg is broken...

I think anything is surmountable, even enjoyable, if there's a warm place somewhere on the horizon. That's why I'm so fascinated by Ernest Shackleton, it's like superhuman effort in the face of no likely prospects except freezing

Back