Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Today off to the SS badger for a ride over to Michigan slow and steady

I had to look this up! It’s the last coal fired passenger ship in the USA, first launched in 1952. It looks comfortable and fun to sail on and mechanically it’s a throw back to an earlier time. There is another video on YouTube that shows behind the scenes ( not especially well made ) but it’s interesting to see the crew in the engine room monitoring a wall of gauges and making constant adjustments to big mechanical dials to maintain optimum pressure ( I’m assuming since there was no narration ) .

Just an aside, not really related, but my grandfather Elvin was a sailer in WW1 and given the fact that he was built like a bear he was assigned the unenviable job of shoveling coal into the ships boilers. I had no idea how dreadful that job was until I toured an old steam ship from that era and saw how small and filthy that work space was and how insufferably hot it must’ve been.
96664777-06DD-464D-9E09-D881F7246560.jpeg

Last edited:
Got out and cruised around 😁 for a couple hours this morning. It was really too hot for it, but I was getting tired of being cooped up in the house. Was good and sweated up by the time I got home but it was worth it.
Stopped by a park to cool off a bit while I was out.
DC692FA6-BD14-48B7-8938-29F2C9D86D78.jpeg
C9B10196-F722-4604-A6E1-CD7C61A408A1.jpeg

Got out and cruised around 😁for a couple hours this morning. It was really too hot for it, but I was getting tired of being cooped up in the house. Was good and sweated up by the time I got home but it was worth it.
View attachment 219483View attachment 219484
Need to put extra mileage on that baby for all of us who are cooped up in the winter

I had to look this up! It’s the last coal fired passenger ship in the USA, first launched in 1952. It looks comfortable and fun to sail on and mechanically it’s a throw back to an earlier time. There is another video on YouTube that shows behind the scenes ( not especially well made ) but it’s interesting to see the crew in the engine room monitoring a wall of gauges and making constant adjustments to big mechanical dials to maintain optimum pressure ( I’m assuming since there was no narration ) .

Just an aside, not really related, but my grandfather Elvin was a sailer in WW1 and given the fact that he was built like a bear he was assigned the unenviable job of shoveling coal into the ships boilers. I had no idea how dreadful that job was until I toured an old steam ship from that era and saw how small and filthy that work space was and how insufferably hot it must’ve been.
View attachment 219121
We damned near missed the boat
They had small signs directing us to the boat but at a certain point the signs ran out so we circled the area until we finally found the access
We pulled up ran to get booked and were the last bikes on
As we were tying down the bikes the boat had already left port
Nice video we were to busy just getting on to take a bunch of pictures but its exactly like the video shows
The boats part of the highway 10 route just over water

We damned near missed the boat
They had small signs directing us to the boat but at a certain point the signs ran out so we circled the area until we finally found the access
We pulled up ran to get booked and were the last bikes on
As we were tying down the bikes the boat had already left port
Nice video we were to busy just getting on to take a bunch of pictures but its exactly like the video shows
The boats part of the highway 10 route just over water
Did you bring your own tie-down or is the boat rigged with them?

Got out and cruised around 😁for a couple hours this morning. It was really too hot for it, but I was getting tired of being cooped up in the house. Was good and sweated up by the time I got home but it was worth it.
View attachment 219483View attachment 219484
MM, what bag do you have mounted on the back of your bike? Looks like a possible fit for the Buffalo?

MM, what bag do you have mounted on the back of your bike? Looks like a possible fit for the Buffalo?
Here you go, I wrote about it here, it’s a Nelson Riggs commuter series seat bag, it’s actually designed to go right on a seat, it had long straps included that I trimmed.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/mailman’s-suzuki-c50-boulevard.61876/page-2#post-743498

Thats one classy ride !

Thanks Mikey! I’m really enjoying it so far! 😎

Back