Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1683636105421.jpeg

Highway 36W State of Jefferson. see> youtu.be/cGuWG4iUfyE At coast turn left, find the secret alley, and presto! Yer riding all alone headed south on the lost coast... The ride from the valley is about 140 miles most of it twisty. Take octane boost and full tank...and watch for wild pigs, deer, bear, azzwholes, sand and gravel, tar snakes, if this were 1965 I'd suggest bennies too...long ride and pretty desolate.
1683636636721.jpeg

https://www.pashnit.com/ca-hwy-36 (lotta good pics there)

Best! 40N

Rode all day yesterday. Left the house at 7:30 am and back at 4:00. Did a loop from Victoria to Port Renfrew to Duncan and back to Victoria. About 170 miles. Lots of back roads and twisties but the road from Sooke to Port Renfrew is now so bumpy I don't think I'll take the TX again on that route. It was a bit much for the old school suspension. A couple of shots from the breakfast stop and the side of the road. My little Yamaha is hidden from view by the bigger bikes in the first one.
20230513_100030.jpg
20230513_125446.jpg

Rode all day yesterday. Left the house at 7:30 am and back at 4:00. Did a loop from Victoria to Port Renfrew to Duncan and back to Victoria. About 170 miles. Lots of back roads and twisties but the road from Sooke to Port Renfrew is now so bumpy I don't think I'll take the TX again on that route. It was a bit much for the old school suspension. A couple of shots from the breakfast stop and the side of the road. My little Yamaha is hidden from view by the bigger bikes in the first one. View attachment 242873View attachment 242874
Is the logging museum still there in Duncan? It's been 30 years since I've been there.

Is the logging museum still there in Duncan? It's been 30 years since I've been there.
Yes indeed it is. I'll ride the old girl up there and take a photo in front of a steam locomotive and post it. It's a cool place. They have a functioning steam engine which pulls visitors around the grounds. We last went there probably 16 or 17 years ago when my kids were little.

Yes indeed it is. I'll ride the old girl up there and take a photo in front of a steam locomotive and post it. It's a cool place. They have a functioning steam engine which pulls visitors around the grounds. We last went there probably 16 or 17 years ago when my kids were little.
The thing that impressed me the most from when I was a kid in '69, was the giant, varnished cross section of Douglas Fir on display. If I remember correctly, they showed you on the growth rings, where famous events in history took place. I've been a history nerd all my life.

THE WELSH FLAT TRACKER: Shakedown Ride

This was my chance to actually get out on the bike for a decent shakedown ride.
Covered about 50ish miles to my local coastline at the Gwent Levels.

The embankments were built by the Romans over 2000 years ago to hold back the 8 meter tides that flood inland around these parts.
(River USK has second highest tidal range in the world). Built to reclaim arable coastal land for crops to feed the Legions. Later extended by the Monks for the same purpose. They run for over 35 kilometers.
IMG_0148.JPEG
IMG_0150.JPEG

IMG_0152.JPEG
IMG_0154.JPEG

The bike ran pretty good with just a few teething problems to sort.
1. Slight fuel leak from left side carb float bowl
2. A fuel weep from the petrol tank seam on left side (My most worrying issue).
Probably caused from water / petrol separation when stored for years; water corroding the inside bottom edge with bike on side stand.
3. Clutch is HEAVY & slipping a bit
4. Bars need pulling back slightly to ease weight off wrists.
5. Occasional metallic sound coming from left side when riding in gear; goes when clutch is disengaged.
6. Rear shocks are frankly shocking; way too hard and fire me out of the seat over potholes!

Bike sounded great and looked brilliant in the sunshine.
IMG_0140.JPEG
IMG_0142.JPEG

IMG_0143.JPEG
IMG_0145.JPEG

Uni filters make a huge difference to how the engine runs.
17/33 tooth sprockets make the bike so much more enjoyable to ride.

Ads. :devil:

As teething problems on a shakedown go, that's not bad Adam... well done!

But yeah.... a leaky tank seam is a bit disconcerting.

Last edited:
Just had a close look at you pics Adam. Those shocks look to be the cheap ass junk ones Mikes sells here in the US. Thought I'd save a bit on my SG resto and put those shocks on it. They were gawdawful bad. 'Bout spit me over the handlebars on the first bump. Needless to say they went in the garbage straight away.

Just had a close look at you pics Adam. Those shocks look to be the cheap ass junk ones Mikes sells here in the US. Thought I'd save a bit on my SG resto and put those shocks on it. They were gawdawful bad. 'Bout spit me over the handlebars on the first bump. Needless to say they went in the garbage straight away.
Yes you are on the ball Jim; I thought they were un-labled Hagon, but not so. The bike came from the USA so may well be Mikes Shitty Springs.
Already looking at some alternatives here: https://motorcycleshockabsorbers.co.uk/exp-m.html
The 2WIN made in UK seem good value for the quality: https://shock-factory.co.uk/content/10-2win-twin-shock-absorbers
Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 17.34.11.png

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 17.36.04.png

Just need to check the eye to eye length as I like the stance of my bike as is.
Not worth pushing to the likes of Ohlins for such an ancient machine.
Cheers,
Ads.

Nice photos Raymond; plenty of history around your part of the world.
Nice photos, Ads. And obviously, plenty history in your back yard too - amazing those embankments were originally built by the Romans! Great that you've been able to go fer a decent ride at long last.

For shocks, you could do worse than look at YSS? That's what I'm running on Miss November.

No suggestions for the leaky tank but hopefully somebody will.

PS Crossed in the post with your last.

Dan
THE WELSH FLAT TRACKER: Shakedown Ride

This was my chance to actually get out on the bike for a decent shakedown ride.
Covered about 50ish miles to my local coastline at the Gwent Levels.

The embankments were built by the Romans over 2000 years ago to hold back the 8 meter tides that flood inland around these parts.
(River USK has second highest tidal range in the world). Built to reclaim arable coastal land for crops to feed the Legions. Later extended by the Monks for the same purpose. They run for over 35 kilometers.
View attachment 243085 View attachment 243086
View attachment 243087 View attachment 243088

The bike ran pretty good with just a few teething problems to sort.
1. Slight fuel leak from left side carb float bowl
2. A fuel weep from the petrol tank seam on left side (My most worrying issue).
Probably caused from water / petrol separation when stored for years; water corroding the inside bottom edge with bike on side stand.
3. Clutch is HEAVY & slipping a bit
4. Bars need pulling back slightly to ease weight off wrists.
5. Occasional metallic sound coming from left side when riding in gear; goes when clutch is disengaged.
6. Rear shocks are frankly shocking; way too hard and fire me out of the seat over potholes!

Bike sounded great and looked brilliant in the sunshine.
View attachment 243089 View attachment 243090

View attachment 243091 View attachment 243092

Uni filters make a huge difference to how the engine runs.
17/33 tooth sprockets make the bike so much more enjoyable to ride.

Ads. :devil:
Dang purty bike Ads. Concerning the Roman embankments, very nice, but what have the Romans done for us?

Bike is looking beautiful Adam! 😎 You’ll get the details sorted soon enough, I’m sure!
Great photos of your ride, funny I would’ve never given those embankments a second look, but to know the history behind them , makes them very interesting.

My XS came to me with the cheapest Hagons fitted, but one sprung a leaky seal. I was pissed off to find that Hagon refuse to repair / rebuild the cheap ones, which aren't so cheap anyway.
Strike one potential customer, because of that.
I have a nice set of Showa air shocks waiting to go on.

Back