Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mailman on the road again

Historic downtown Glendale Az. Part 2...the nostalgia tour

If I always remember these things , are they ever really gone?

( From Field of Dreams)
“Ray. People will come, Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. "
The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces.
It reminds us of all that once was good and that could be again.
Oh...people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.”
DBE8EC51-5CA0-4FD1-B531-6A184AD81E4D.jpeg

Dr. Archibald "Moonlight" Graham: You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day.

This morning I went out for breakfast early with my wife, then came home and got ready to go and search out some memories from my childhood.

It’s overcast and cool this morning, it is the backside of all the horrible weather that is sweeping through the mid west. This morning I am riding to the historic center of Glendale Az. I never lived here as a child but my mother worked here as a hair dresser in a beauty salon. When I was a kid, some Saturdays, my mom would take me and a friend to work with her and while she worked, my friend and I would knock around town. It was a different time, it wasn’t dangerous. Quite the contrary, it was an adventure. Most all of the buildings down town have changed , names, appearances, purposes over the years. In fact forty years ago, the down town area had suffered the fate of many small town centers.....it was dead. Boarded up windows and decay.

The city worked hard to re invent it’s downtown. They spent a lot of money fixing it up and giving incentives to businesses for returning. Today it is the poster child for how to do it. Filled with antique shops and restaurants, it’s a place you can park your car and walk.

My challenge will be to try and find some places I used to visit and also some of the bigger landmarks of the day.
5C385D36-B7E5-4F0A-A90A-D1852F26B85D.jpeg
3204FED8-25AB-4FC6-BF6D-E11EBC706738.jpeg

This is not a historical building but it was right nearby. In the 70’s this was Southwest Yamaha. I bought a new XS750 here back in ‘78. Parts building on the left and service on the right. Now it’s a dumpy auto repair.
776F62AF-0502-482A-A488-06FA9EE2CF07.jpeg
40A7EC9A-F5DA-4E41-9EE4-4605DD2A8264.jpeg

On this same road there used to be a Suzuki / Triumph dealer. And a Kawasaki / Harley dealer. Both fell victim to
Road expansions and parking lots.

I was absolutely shocked to find that the hair salon my mother used to work at over 50 years ago, is not only still there, it’s still a hair salon. Different owner obviously.
3902B21B-F3EA-46AC-A27C-396173923D74.jpeg

Right down the street is the old Glendale Pharmacy built in 1940. Inside there was an old fashioned lunch counter where we would buy grilled cheese sandwiches and Cokes from the fountain. Pharmacy is gone now but you can still see the shape of the pharmacy sign over the building.
BF4CF13E-8B0A-4A85-B0B5-9A2DA91EFBCC.jpeg
0EF72EEA-EE12-4EFD-A8DB-A2D32A3911FF.jpeg

Believe it or not, this was the entrance to the old El Ray movie theater. Built in 1920. When I was a kid I would go watch double feature Tarzan or cowboy movies there for 25 cents!
DE507353-BD4A-4453-98B3-3F4E6ED28095.jpeg

I also used to have a family Doctor and Dentist in the neighborhood a couple streets over. They had offices right in the house they lived in, right in the residential neighborhoods. ( think Marcus Welby ) the whole area is now old houses turned into a Historic shopping district. Back then they weren’t historic, they were just neighborhoods! :laugh2:
A8DAC358-1412-4ACD-9A04-DD7953E3D37F.jpeg
1F4E3225-BEB9-4DD0-BAD7-3D3920F437A4.jpeg
B5897959-0C15-4D04-84EC-1C6AEDEC95DB.jpeg
644E46AE-9C58-48AD-9792-502F339D0D31.jpeg
01091667-0D90-4576-9DE0-31E71B4CB15E.jpeg

Leaving the downtown area, I head a mile down the road to a landmark building. The old sugar beet factory built in 1906. It only operated for five years and has stood there ever since.
Then.....
CF3AE51A-8B04-4B95-893E-506B7BA790FF.jpeg
8B0A7CC7-30FD-4FBB-8FA3-2DCFF9C01E8F.jpeg

And now....
488DE35E-9071-4CB9-8EAF-8F8086E74579.jpeg

One last iconic business to see. Hal’s radiator repair, for over 60 years, “The best place in town to take a leak! “ :laugh2:
C99D36CF-3CB9-4C58-B25A-AD71EEEF2450.jpeg

I could do this all day, but I have to go home some time. It’s been fun ( for me anyways :D )
See you on the road,
Bob :bike:

Last edited:
So.... this is the first time the ol' girl has seen the sunlight since 2014. She's not done. Taped on left grip, tank badges and a host of other stuff.... but she can proudly call herself a runner today.

IMG_20190519_193705.jpg

No insurance, inspection or registration... but she was beggin' me.....

Well, this morning I rose at 6:05 AM (ouch!), showered and headed out to the DCW to see if Lucille was willing. It was a relatively mild 10C (around 50 deg. F) here and so I put on my @ssless chaps, my armoured hi-viz jacket with both liners installed and my medium-weight gloves and off we toddled at around 6:55 AM. Our destination was a certain Tim Horton's (I am, after all, Canadian) where I was to meet-up at about 7:45 with other guys for the ride. Everyone arrived at more or less the appointed hour and it turned out to be an eclectic collection of bikes:
  • Two modern sport bikes;
  • A beautifully restored 1973 Norton 750 Commando;
  • A big Harley Street/Road Glide;
  • My own 1976 XS650C - Lucille :yikes:
There were AT LEAST 40 other bikes (nearly all HDs and “metric” cruisers) in the parking lot at the same time. Unfortunately, no photo was taken.

Our little group set off a bit late and took some Essex and Kent County roads that I have never before seen - and I have lived here for well over 20 years. We eventually arrived at the pretty little town of Erieau (founded in 1917) and located a nice diner. Lakeview met us there with his red 1976 XS650C and we all sat down for a nice breakfast. My bill for an excellent breakfast Western sandwich including bottomless (just like my chaps) coffee = $5.10. Amazing!

Here is a shot of Lakeview and our bikes in Erieau. Unfortunately, it is one of only a couple of photos I got today for reasons that will become apparent in due course.
ED99105F-ADA3-47F8-AFAC-67586226794E.jpeg

Our next destination was a CVMG (vintage bike rally) in the city of Sarnia about 80 miles north of Erieau. The event is called Vintage & Fries Under the Bluewater Bridges.The event normally attracts quite a few nice bikes and so we were all anxious to get there - but, the weather was beginning to look a bit dodgy so Lakeview (wisely, as it turned out) declined to accompany us on the rest of our planned ride to Sarnia.
17FCDD0D-977D-45CA-9359-97F569FB212E.png

Anyhow, we continued north, sans Lakeview, and eventually got to Sarnia and the event. Along the way, we somehow got into the middle of a large group of HDs and holy cow, they were an undisciplined group of riders with zero regard for lanes, personal space, safety of other road users etc. Total @ssholes. When we arrived at the CVMG event, I said that they gave a whole new meaning to the term “HOG”.

I think because of the weather, the turnout at the rally was pretty weak and we felt badly for the organizers. There were at least 80-100 modern bikes but from the older category, there was one really nice Kawasaki 750-H2 triple, a couple of older, but very pretty, Triumphs, a unique 1982 Yamaha Vision and a couple of slightly ratty older Hondas, but not too much more. The 750 Norton Commando and Lucille in our group literally increased the complement of vintage bikes by around 10-15%.
19C99C08-EE9F-4B31-9946-5586D4B3D3F7.jpeg

36C76455-9ED2-41FC-9770-C6B3F8FF3526.jpeg

After poking around and having a bit of lunch, we headed off back south under increasingly threatening skies. About 45 minutes later, it really opened up on us with a totally drenching downpour that continued all the way back to Windsor (more than an hour). Nobody had rain gear so we just kept going. This part of the ride was uneventful, except for one stupid prick in an F150 who tailgated me. :wtf:

As an older rider, I have ridden in the rain many, many times and while I don’t really enjoy or like riding wet, I must say that it doesn’t bother me all that much. I find that within 2-3 minutes, I’m about as wet as I am going to get and as long as my facesheild keeps my face dry, I sort of retreat into my little carbon fibre space module and watch the weather through the window. It’s an odd sensation and I don’t think it involves an unsafe detachment from my riding or the road environment, but I seem to be able to essentially ignore the rain during the ride. Getting my gear off later is a whole OTHER story, however. I hate that yucky sticky feeling of wet gear.

Does anyone else have that sort of detached outlook on rainy weather riding?

To finish the tale, we eventually got back to Windsor and split off to our separate homes. All in all, it was a nice day with some great riding and I am delighted to report that Lucille never missed a beat the whole time.

Pete

Last edited:
Jim - great video and well done on getting her down the road a bit! This has been such a long journey - it must feel great to be able to experience a reward out of it. It sure feels nice seeing you and that beautiful bike finally having some fun together.

Congratulations.

Pete

Ahh yes, and I must add that after dinner tonight, I ordered a new set of tires and tubes for Lucille - as per Mailman’s recommendations:
  • FRONT: Michelin Pilot Activ 100/90-19 (NOTE: that is the correct spelling of “active” - if you are French)
  • REAR: Michelin Pilot Activ 120/90-18
The price, FOB my house, including the HST (human sexuality tax - 13%) = $342.37 CAD

Oops, then I had to order the inner tubes that I had forgotten: around $35 - so I bulked-up the order with some ST1300 oil filters to get to the “free shipping” threshold of $49. I have a buddy here who will mount and balance them for me for nothing, so that will do it!

Pete

Bob, that was quite an interesting, moving, and somber trip into the historical past. Things change, times change, but your little trip brought back that ol' feeling of the past, where, as you said, it was a safer place for us kids. And, that hardware store must've been a real "oasis" in the desert. Thanx for sharing.

Jim, congrats on your XS fire-up. Looks and sounds great. I think your vid shows the 3 required touch-and-goes, so we can sign you off. Missing a bit of clatter, but we'll work on that later. We've got, what, 3 bikes now running the XT500 front guide mod? Any whining sounds coming outta there?

Pete, nice trip, even with the rain. Agree, rain is no fun, just endure it. Totally agree with the "retreat into the helmet" mindset. It can't be explained, only experienced. I would play a kind of road game, "find that part of you that's still dry". Never found it, but helped to burn away the miles...

Last edited:
We've got, what, 3 bikes now running the XT500 front guide mod? Any whining sounds coming outta there?
Not sure how many. Knock on wood.... it's really quiet. Time plays tricks on ya, but it seems quieter than the others I've had.

what a fantastic write up Bob and a lot of research too. I really enjoyed reading through this this morning thank you..

I just love these Historic threads ...I guess I just live in the past most of the time.
The store has perfect scale and proportions and is in great condition and is obviously still lovingly maintained regularly although we'd never get away with the skimpy timber support stanchions and joists to the veranda, these days.

So sad when these Family businesses die out . New generations today know nothing about the origins of their towns and villages .

@MaxPete - Couple of comments regarding your post (excellent post, BTW).

1. I HATE riding in the rain. I've been caught a few times and just grit my teeth and head for home. For example, I wanted to go for a ride the other day. It was borderline too cold, but I was desperate enough for some seat time that I was willing to deal with that. Intended to head North, but 5 miles into it the sky looked WAY too threatening. Changed plans, turned West intending to head South in a few miles...skies got worse. Said screw it, went home, started raining (again...) just as I pulled into the garage. There is no combination of gear and destination that will talk me into intentionally setting out in the rain. We have had maybe a half-dozen days in three months where it didn't rain (or snow...). Getting REAL old.

2. Sarnia - My stepmother was born in Saskatchewan into a VERY large family. One of her sisters lived in Sarnia and we'd cross the bridge to visit at least once a year. This was in the 50's and 60's before all the stupid new rules. Just hop in the car and go.

So.... this is the first time the ol' girl has seen the sunlight since 2014. She's not done. Taped on left grip, tank badges and a host of other stuff.... but she can proudly call herself a runner today.

View attachment 141199

No insurance, inspection or registration... but she was beggin' me.....

Naughty Boy !

Back