Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
F48F52D4-8F84-4600-BA7F-314429214F24.jpeg
Waiting for the aliens to take me awaaaaaay.

View attachment 141029
I was just there last summer! Hiked all the way around the tower with a fever while I waited for my antibiotics prescribed the day before we left for vaca to kick on. I would have loved to ride my bike all around SD. Maybe someday...

Last edited:
View attachment 141215
I was just there last summer! Hiked all the way around the tower with a fever while I waited for my antibiotics prescribed the day before we left for vaca to kick on. I would have loved to ride my bike all around SD. Maybe someday...
Good looking family. I wish I had a little kid, boy or girl, doesn't matter. Here are some more pics from SD, then.
Wounded Knee cemetery. I don't know if it's irreverent but it's such an iconic place I couldn't resist. The road up the hill was too rutted so I went up the side of the hill through the grass, having actually forgotten I had all that stuff on the back. From up there I noticed a road that was less rutted and started down that, but crashed anyway. A station wagon full of Native Americans came zooming up the road, jumped out and dusted me off, and sped back down the hill. So fast I almost couldn't say a word to them. One very strong young woman basically lifted the bike herself, with about 100 lbs of stuff on it.

DSCI0066.JPG

I wanted to look at a snake in the road and when I got back to the bike I thought it looked like a good pic. Note the missing mirror that came off in the crash above. Machine shop in Rapid City put it back on with an insert.
DSCI0068.JPG

Lesser-known view of Mt. Rushmore.
DSCI0079.JPG

Camping on public land maybe 30 mi. from Rushmore. Could see houses below. Father came up with little kid to see what was going on. Kid was about 6, dressed in full armor, zooming around on a tiny motocross bike.
DSCI0085.JPG

Might be Wyoming, not sure. Interesting pyramid things in the distance. Several miles away
DSCI0115.JPG

That’s my daughter and my dad. We’re actually leaving for CO springs this wednesday afternoon. Here’s a few more shots from last summers trip- a shot from Mt rushmore I took from the BEAUTIFUL road that twists through the mountain.
A0A755BC-ABB7-4115-BC65-4F6384B8815D.jpeg

Us at the badlands the day before
1F3B8291-3996-4E86-9A94-E94986013BDC.jpeg

E4DF1DA5-9357-44BD-B440-BA3159550CAC.jpeg

That’s my daughter and my dad. We’re actually leaving for CO springs this wednesday afternoon. Here’s a few more shots from last summers trip- a shot from Mt rushmore I took from the BEAUTIFUL road that twists through the mountain.
View attachment 141222
Here's me on that same road.... The presidents are right above that white car.
DSCI0076.JPG

So.... this is the first time the ol' girl has seen the sunlight since 2014. She's not done. Taped on left grip, tank badges and a host of other stuff.... but she can proudly call herself a runner today.

View attachment 141199

No insurance, inspection or registration... but she was beggin' me.....

Wow Jim, very nice. So shiny.....

Now its all runnin, just think, this could be you this Friday night????? Hahaha

1420078569817127718.jpg

Does anyone else have that sort of detached outlook ?

Pete

yep .....all day every day Pete :) I feel i'm stumbling through life in some sort of peripheral universe.

Thats a great write up Pete such a real shame about the weather. Wish I could have joined you guys on that ride.

I don't take my bike out in the rain at all because I'm not a very experienced or confident biker and I hate having to dry the whole bike off when I get back to prevent rust.
I don't feel particularly safe on my bike at any speed above 65mph and not even that fast if there is any sort of cross or headwind so riding in the wet I wouldn't find very pleasant
I must sort out my bikes handling this summer

So.... this is the first time the ol' girl has seen the sunlight since 2014. She's not done. Taped on left grip, tank badges and a host of other stuff.... but she can proudly call herself a runner today.

View attachment 141199

No insurance, inspection or registration... but she was beggin' me.....

Jim, what kind of bars do you have on that bike? I am definitely changing my bars this summer, and I like the curve on those. I would have put my stockers back on, but the chrome is peeling on the underside of one of the curves.

I'm a member of @Paul Sutton ('s) Buckhorn Gang. :cool:
They're OEM Special buckhorns.
Warning: if you get 'em... everyone here will laugh at you. Jus' ignore 'em... :lmao:

...and so it shouldn't be difficult to score a really nice OEM set that someone else has tossed off their bike....

They're bad for your shoulders. You'll see what I mean.
Well, just because they bothered your shoulders....
Rode a buckhorned special for 2-3yrs as a daily driver in Fla. back in the early 80's. Never had shoulder probs. Another buckhorn for 4 yrs in the 90's... still no shoulder probs. Actually never heard of anyone having shoulder probs 'till now.

Back