Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Many of my friends through the years have been Marines. Some of them have had some strange stories, like one guy who went through sniper school and then was asked by some officer to kill the officer's wife. He didn't do it (he claimed. As far as I know they're still very happily married). He freaked out from it and opted for a job repairing helicopters instead. It seems like there was more, like repercussions if he didn't do it, but it's in the dim, dark past can't remember the whole story.

Another one was my best friend the first couple years of college. He'd been in Vietnam. Our English prof thought he was a brilliant writer of war stories and compared him to Hemingway. He started giving his things away, and we know now what that means, but we didn't know then. That was about 1976. I spent some time trying to find his grave years later and when I found it there was a friendly dog there and he just wrapped himself around my leg very tightly. Not humping it, but like giving it the very tightest hug :D It was a strange experience there, it felt like he'd been waiting for me to go see him. Maybe the dog was used to sorrowful people at the cemetery and was sensitive.

Another one was my best friend the first couple years of college. He'd been in Vietnam. Our English prof thought he was a brilliant writer of war stories and compared him to Hemingway. He started giving his things away, and we know now what that means, but we didn't know then. That was about 1976. I spent some time trying to find his grave years later and when I found it there was a friendly dog there and he just wrapped himself around my leg very tightly. Not humping it, but like giving it the very tightest hug :D It was a strange experience there, it felt like he'd been waiting for me to go see him. Maybe the dog was used to sorrowful people at the cemetery and was sensitive.
That's so touching. I'm sorry for your friend. So many young men went to that war and came home with scars that won't heal.
I've known several guys over the years that didn't talk much about their experience but you could tell it was tough. I hope they found help before it drug them down.

Thank you for your service. 👍

^Another one, I had a temp job loading books on a conveyor at a book factory. A new guy showed up and after a couple days he mentioned he was a Marine and had been in Vietnam. I don't remember how it started but he said nothing is worth war. I said something like what if it's fighting a dictator attacking the U.S.? He said "Nothing is worth it. We aren't animals." I argued that some things are worth it, and he started to tremble violently. I think the last time I saw him he was in the break room by himself just shaking. I have that filed away as one of my top 10 mistakes with people. He had an innocent smiling and friendly way about him and I was young and ignorant

^Another one, I had a temp job loading books on a conveyor at a book factory. A new guy showed up and after a couple days he mentioned he was a Marine and had been in Vietnam. I don't remember how it started but he said nothing is worth war. I said something like what if it's fighting a dictator attacking the U.S.? He said "Nothing is worth it. We aren't animals." I argued that some things are worth it, and he started to tremble violently. I think the last time I saw him he was in the break room by himself just shaking. I have that filed away as one of my top 10 mistakes with people. He was a very friendly guy, with an innocent friendly way about him and I was young and ignorant
I share some of your experiences. I’m a post Vietnam vet. Many of those guys were still in. Or, got out and came back because they couldn’t manage on the outside. They are casualties of war.

2LAAM Battalion was configured as 4 antiaircaft missile firing batteries. Each a self sufficient unit. Yuma had a desert training area. Flat desert. Each battery had berms 10-12 feet high to place our radar sets around a central area for the electronics vans. Most of the staff NCOs were Vietnam vets. I asked while checking in why there were firing battery emplacement for 4 batteries but we only had Alpha, Bravo and Charlie. Terse response, Delta didn't come home.

Returning to the subject of this thread! It's been a nice afternoon, dry, not too cold (about 8 C) so just HAD to get out for a blast. Only 30 miles but they were fun ones!
First ride after the winter's work. Crap photo but here it is anyway:

Attachments

• 20220304_161734.jpg
    20220304_161734.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 59
Returning to the subject of this thread! It's been a nice afternoon, dry, not too cold (about 8 C) so just HAD to get out for a blast. Only 30 miles but they were fun ones!
First ride after the winter's work. Crap photo but here it is anyway:
That's a sharp looking bike! Nice job!

I've got another crazy Marine story you've got to hear!
Sobering up on a couple of the earlier ones. Love for you to move it over to the lounge; a definite sit in. Meanwhile back to the theme of the thread, I only got out on the Bullet twice this winter, December 26 and February 13. The 'XS 650 Beauty' is still grounded with the headlight bucket removed. I had Covid for the month of January from the 1st to the 30th with no lingering effects beyond that. Let me just say Absence has made the heart grow fonder. It is good to be back.
'TT'

^I've just started riding again, mainly because no fun to go anyplace when everybody suspects you of carrying a deadly disease when you get there. Also, was legally blind for the last year until I got around to getting cataract operations. But rode some anyway :) Now vision is 20/20 w/o glasses for first time in my life and celebrated by getting some cheap sunglasses. I found what you miss most seeing just well enough to not bump into walls is seeing people's facial expressions.

Back