Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One day I decided to go to the Wounded Knee cemetery. The dirt road up the hill was pure ruts and I knew the front would get caught and I would crash if I tried it, so I went up the hill beside the road through the grass, hill climb style. Somehow the bike stopped halfway up the hill but I got it started immediately again with the electric starter (which I hadn't removed, you idiots who remove them) and made it to the top. At the top was maybe a dozen N.A. sitting around like beggars. Maybe waiting for tourists although there were none around. Such is desperation. One of them said "You almost didn't make it." I said "almost only counts in hand grenades". I had honestly forgotten I had two hundred pounds of crap strapped on the back or I wouldn't have tried it. The N.A. melted away for some reason. Some reason I don't know. I tipped my hat at the cemetery. I noticed a dirt road down that didn't look quite as rutted so I tried it. I got caught in a rut and fell over. A '73 station wagon full of N.A. made a dust cloud up the hill like they'd been waiting for this, and while I was unstrapping the kitchen sink from Trigger to make her light enough to put upright, an upright young N.A. woman just picked her up and set her on her wheels. Then they just as quickly made a dust cloud back out of there. I'd marry her if I knew who she was. Worthy. Truth.

It broke my left mirror off and when I got to Sioux City I saw a machine shop sign and borrowed a tap there to try and straighten out the mirror socket. I knew what size to ask for. Don't ask me how. It wasn't happening so the guy there installed an insert but not without tapping for the wrong thread size first, blaming a guy who put the tap back in the wrong place (probably him). Then he tapped it for the right size right on top of that, at the end was incredulous that it worked. We all still bear the scars.
View attachment 212450

Too bad you don't still own a bike... then you wouldn't have to keep reposting these tired old reruns. :er:

XJ dick.png

Last edited:
Pretty Pillion got her first ride on Buzzy today. I took her out for BBQ in town, no highways. She said Buzzy is a little bit buzzy, but she liked her ride.

I am well please with the ride myself. I usually only ride Buzzy to work and back and find his city manners two-up to be wonderful.

We also got to execute an emergency stop and lane change a mile away. Buzzy handled both maneuvers quite well with my love on the back.

Pretty Pillion says she is ready for a longer ride in the country next time now that she has a little more confidence in Buzzy.
20220423_150053.jpg
20220423_150617.jpg
20220423_154115.jpg

Pretty Pillion got her first ride on Buzzy today. I took her out for BBQ in town, no highways. She said Buzzy is a little bit buzzy, but she liked her ride.

I am well please with the ride myself. I usually only ride Buzzy to work and back and find his city manners two-up to be wonderful.

We also got to execute an emergency stop and lane change a mile away. Buzzy handled both maneuvers quite well with my love on the back.

Pretty Pillion says she is ready for a longer ride in the country next time now that she has a little more confidence in Buzzy.View attachment 212719View attachment 212720View attachment 212721

I see you’ve replaced your winter windshield with a sporty fly screen, I like it! :thumbsup:

With Apologies to Our American Cousins
Most of the River Road traces the Tecumseh Parkway which was a historic route of combatants in the war of 1812.
Arnold's Mill was owned by a UEL from Maryland who came to Canada and established this grist mill. The sign says that he participated in a raid on Fort Detroit the fall of 1813 ( this place is maybe 80 km from the RenCen - so neat as one drives to Windsor to see that building poking up on the north west side of the 401).
This site commemorates a camp made by the indigenous auxiliaries before going out to meet (or flee from ) the pursuing American troops, October, 1813.

A side note - a couple years ago I had a surveyor come to draw a plan of my lot 's boundaries. He was saying that the original plans of the concession lots and so on for that area were still in American control as "spoils of war".
Glad we're gettin' along now!

20220423_152654.jpg

Last edited:
With Apologies to Our American Cousins

View attachment 212741
I did not know that Canada is not in North America!
Caveat here, I have tried here and other forums to distinguish "Citizens of the US" and "Americans". We have some national seperate history but mostly a joint history that we can celebrate, make jokes about, and, be proud of. Cheers

Caveat here, I have tried here and other forums to distinguish "Citizens of the US" and "Americans". We have some national seperate history but mostly a joint history that we can celebrate, make jokes about, and, be proud of. Cheers

North America also includes Greenland due to it being apart of the American Plate. There is no distinction of, or country boundaries in North America.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America

We rode around Lake Sardis and included Oxford, home of Ole Miss. Then on around the south side of Sardis and back to Reds BBQ & Blues for some sophisticated dining. After Red’s we picked up some crawfish and boudin balls. A nice day for sure.

Attachments

• A9E32AC3-3F75-4969-9A17-7FC593E64A20.jpeg
    A9E32AC3-3F75-4969-9A17-7FC593E64A20.jpeg
    668.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 855AA5DB-D93D-4EAD-8738-CB0E6CFD4B22.jpeg
    855AA5DB-D93D-4EAD-8738-CB0E6CFD4B22.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20DBA0B2-60B8-46D4-935A-D609A59B8620.jpeg
    20DBA0B2-60B8-46D4-935A-D609A59B8620.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 7292977A-B464-40A1-A7CC-79F29BED22BF.jpeg
    7292977A-B464-40A1-A7CC-79F29BED22BF.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 80CAB65A-20B3-4A2E-A738-30FAF2B988A3.jpeg
    80CAB65A-20B3-4A2E-A738-30FAF2B988A3.jpeg
    703.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 2EC81303-8643-443C-9E3D-6A3452C6A1B8.jpeg
    2EC81303-8643-443C-9E3D-6A3452C6A1B8.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 175
  • 0488460B-4DFA-46E7-822F-EB0291071A14.jpeg
    0488460B-4DFA-46E7-822F-EB0291071A14.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 12A3D670-BAE4-4314-82F5-A7B9A5CC322D.jpeg
    12A3D670-BAE4-4314-82F5-A7B9A5CC322D.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 176
North Americans include Canadians and Americans...

We rode around Lake Sardis and included Oxford, home of Ole Miss. Then on around the south side of Sardis and back to Reds BBQ & Blues for some sophisticated dining. After Red’s we picked up some crawfish and boudin balls. A nice day for sure.

Beautiful area to ride in Marty for sure! And some darn good food too! Nice! :D

How's the bike doin' after the "heavy check?"

How's the bike doin' after the "heavy check?"
I forgot to sync the carburetors, so vibration is a bit much. My plugs no longer match. The new jetting may be fine.
1650915488974.png
1650915549705.png

I didn't set the steering head bearings tight enough, so I need to do that right away. I also have some clicking in the drive chain I need to investigate. I did not find a "no slack" area in it. I used the Motion Pro chain alignment tool to set it up. If something Murphy proof isn't, I'm just the guy to prove it.

Other than the above, it performs as new and once these items are addressed, it's better than new.

Edit: The GREEN base gasket is leaking! :mad:

Got the ‘76 out for a couple of rides this past weekend, maybe about 200 km. Ran well, and made a few observations: 1: steering head “clunk” is all but gone - had adjusted it before, but this past winter I slacked off all fasteners and adjustments to set the bearings from scratch.👍. 2: Ever since I bought the bike I found the vibration made it uncomfortable to ride for more than an hour at a time as my hand(s) would become numb. This past winter I bought OEM handle bar bushings for the risers and lubed them up with Sylglide (Thx gggGary). Also removed an extra washer on the riser stem that preloaded the rubber bushings. Before the handle bars had no movement in the upper triple clamp. Now they wiggle a bit with a good amount of force applied. Net result is I feel little to no vibration through the bars now and my vision doesn’t go blurry. Lol. Another win 👍. 3. Right fork seal is on its way out but I think it’s good for this year.

I think the bike is good for just riding this season (don’t I wish), so my time will be spent on my other three projects: 1. Beetle back on the road 2. Toyota Supra engine swap 3. Getting the new old bike in tip top condition.

Back