Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You live in a beautiful place for riding. That scenery is something.

@650Skull @Mailman - I think people quite often think of California as LA/Orange County/San Francisco. - truth is most of the state is farm land (even around the coast). Central and Northern California coast is pretty much slow, quiet towns, winding coastal/back roads and a two lane highway. People know their neighbors and still wave when someone drives down the street (even if they don’t know you). I think the heart of California is found deep in the redwoods and the rugged coast.

All sorts of shit has been trying to kill me - just like the rest of us I suppose. At the moment it's Tolly 1/Being Crook 0. I intend to keep it that way. Threw a leg back over the XS the other day and it's good to be alive. Got myself a Guzzi that I have ridden twice in 12 months but she sure looks good. I intend to make that relationship a little more intimate though my heart is still with the Yammie. Things are looking up! Trust all my friends here can say the same. You have all been in my prayers.
Cheers Jim

Last edited:
@650Skull @Mailman - I think people quite often think of California as LA/Orange County/San Francisco. - truth is most of the state is farm land (even around the coast). Central and Northern California coast is pretty much slow, quiet towns, winding coastal/back roads and a two lane highway. People know their neighbors and still wave when someone drives down the street (even if they don’t know you). I think the heart of California is found deep in the redwoods and the rugged coast.

I have spent much time in California, we are neighbors after all and you‘re the one with the ocean outside your door! :laugh2: The Coast between Temecula and up through Santa Barbara have been some of my favorite vacation spots for me and my wife. Following wine trails and going through all the old Spanish missions, and up the coast to Hearst Castle and Cambria ( what a beautiful little town ). Then highway one up to Monterey. It’s all heaven to me!

I’m just a little south of Cambria. We’re a more open country setting.

The drive of HWY1 from Pismo to Monterey is a must drive for anyone who wants to see the true California. You could spend your whole life exploring it and really never see it all.

@David Toll - I’m sure you could find it. If I didn’t have to drive a lot for work I’d be on a 50-100 acre plot up in the hills (with a clear view of the coast). If your ok with being self sufficient, it’s a great place to be. If you wanna be able to swing by the grocery store or target…not so much.

In another life I owned 40 acres ridgetop overlooking the Gold Coast - tank water and generator power. Built my own house in the hills and listened to a lot of Ozark Mountain Devils. Rode a 750 Yamaha Virago in a denim jacket with the sleeves cut off. Did 15 years in God's country growing mangoes and raising Angora goats. Unfortunately that train has left the station I fear. Brings back some great memories though.
Cheers WAW

Edit: The GREEN base gasket is leaking! :mad:

Use black magic marker!
there, I fixed it.
Bummer Marty.
Nope! I was wrong. My right cam seal is leaking AGAIN! I rode hard with the boys all weekend. The right leg of my riding pants got oiled, but the top case half didn't. My right side covers are covered with a paste made up of engine oil, pollen and dust. Can I get a strong recommendation on removing that oil from my jugs & carbs without damaging the VHT paint? Dawn?

Nope! I was wrong. My right cam seal is leaking AGAIN! I rode hard with the boys all weekend. The right leg of my riding pants got oiled, but the top case half didn't. My right side covers are covered with a paste made up of engine oil, pollen and dust. Can I get a strong recommendation on removing that oil from my jugs & carbs without damaging the VHT paint? Dawn?
You need your "jugs" cleaned? Is there something you're not telling us? Not judging.

I decided 11 would be my lucky number today, so I took off on the Bullet to the DMV for my knowledge test. I got there just after opening before 9 a. m. and had to wait over an hour before taking the test. Lucky day, I passed! I am now within the rules and regulations without restriction and may proceed without the worry of being pulled over and make an explanation.
'TT'

I decided 11 would be my lucky number today, so I took off on the Bullet to the DMV for my knowledge test. I got there just after opening before 9 a. m. and had to wait over an hour before taking the test. Lucky day, I passed! I am now within the rules and regulations without restriction and may proceed without the worry of being pulled over and make an explanation.
'TT'
M/C endorsement on my Driver's License is 35 years old. I have been cautious reentering the riding routine.

M/C endorsement on my Driver's License is 35 years old. I have been cautious reentering the riding routine.
I bought the Bullet back in March of 2020, right before the Covid lockdown. Since then, I have ridden only when it was necessary and to date, I have only 435 miles put on the clock. I have taken no rides for pleasure and amusement, and time restrictions and the Covid kept me from proceeding. The relief I feel is very real, knowing that I passed, thus removing the dark cloud that gave me hesitation. I am now ready to ride!!
'TT'

I bought the Bullet back in March of 2020, right before the Covid lockdown. Since then, I have ridden only when it was necessary and to date, I have only 435 miles put on the clock. I have taken no rides for pleasure and amusement, and time restrictions and the Covid kept me from proceeding. The relief I feel is very real, knowing that I passed, thus removing the dark cloud that gave me hesitation. I am now ready to ride!!
'TT'
Good luck, we're all counting on you.

I am now ready to ride!!

Congratulations TT, I hope to see you posting in the “Just Ride” thread soon!
04231918-140F-4491-9062-A0D49233BB5F.jpeg

Had my motorcycle endorsement since I was 17, (1973). Went down to my copper mate at the Southport Police Station and he filled it out. It simply transferred over when the licence went from paper to plastic, just like my boat licence. There is absolutely no chance I would pass an actual test today but then the endorsement didn't cover, scraping the pegs, riding under the influence of alcohol and drugs, riding with two pillions, cruising without a helmet and dropping wheelies and burn outs at every opportunity. Don't do any of those things now so, I suppose I've progressed.

It's another linguistic funny - in the UK each class of vehicle on your licence is an entitlement. You are given an endorsement on your licence if you've been a naughty boy. Or girl. Three endorsements and they take your licence away.

That's the Queen's English for you. You blokes don't speak it right!
My last employer purchased a plastics company in England. We had employee exchanges and all but I was tasked to bring their R & D and QC up to task for some of the products we were going to transfer to them. I learned to love the "Queen's English" and if I comment on a particular "I favour that particular colour" don't write me of as daft.

Back