Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1654434278484.png

I had rattling noises going on that I couldn't ID. It was worse at low RPM or idle. I thought I needed to check the valve lash and chain adjustment for starters. The night ride solved the mystery. The headlight was adjusted way too low, and the roads aren't all marked with paint. I had to stop and try to fix it. The headlight adjustment hardware is missing. Apparently, my QA department is lacking!

View attachment 215869

I had rattling noises going on that I couldn't ID. It was worse at low RPM or idle. I thought I needed to check the valve lash and chain adjustment for starters. The night ride solved the mystery. The headlight was adjusted way too low, and the roads aren't all marked with paint. I had to stop and try to fix it. The headlight adjustment hardware is missing. Apparently, my QA department is lacking!
Those darn mechanics are untrustworthy!!

Every time they touch stuff, there's a risk of human error. This, on my own machine. Once upon a time, I left my XS1100 at a shop for service work while I was out of town. The oil drain plug fell out on the way home. The responsible mechanic hopped in the truck and rescued me from the side of the road after dark. Stuff happens.

I knew a guy that had a porosity in the head casting of his XS1100. He took it to a Yamaha shop to be repaired under warranty.
The service manager himself replaced the head but forgot to loctite the cam sprocket bolts. One came out and destroyed the timing chain. Caused some real headaches.

Let's just say that service manager is the same guy that works on my bikes these days....

Last edited:

Every time they touch stuff, there's a risk of human error.

Stuff happens.

When I was 20 I had this XT500 that I had bought new about a year earlier,
9F41015E-6FCF-4DAA-BB67-9DE184AF7AB6.jpeg
Well, I had done all this work on it, I removed the air-box and put this giant K+N filter on it, re jetted the carb, took off that heavy exhaust and put a straight pipe with a Super Trapp muffler on it, and it had a huge increase in performance. So one day the bike won’t start, me and my buddy messed with it all morning and couldn’t get it to fire. Feeling defeated we loaded it into the back of my pickup and I took it to the dealer. The next day I go to pick it up and I asked the service manager what was wrong with it? He said the kill switch was on…….😳

View attachment 215869

Your photography skills aren't. Excellent photos. I see you live close to the Tennesse line. I am almost a straight shot out that way from Chattanooga, close enough to be worthy of an adventure if I can get my ducks lined up in a row.
'TT'

Your photography skills aren't. Excellent photos. I see you live close to the Tennesse line. I am almost a straight shot out that way from Chattanooga, close enough to be worthy of an adventure if I can get my ducks lined up in a row.
'TT'
Come on!

I believe you waxed the hull. Thirteen knots is no easy feat, except during tropical storms and hurricanes, making it impossible.
'TT'
The boat is very light and has a flat run aft of the keel. Exciting to sail off the wind in a blow. You see in the video there is little drama at 10 to 13 knots surfing and planing. :)

Went out for a 200km ride today. Bike ran beautifully other than the pita clutch adjustment when the motor got hot. Part of the issue with my bike is the clutch lever has a dog leg design and doesn’t get a full pull on the cable. May have to break down and get a plain Magura. Oh and the tach decided it didn’t wasn’t to go above 4,000 rpm. Need to order one of those.

90134B85-B58D-481A-A121-AF43D2BD1092.jpeg

TW, greatly enjoyed your sailing video. Few years ago, I was lucky enough to do a catamaran course in the Maldives. Paradise, lagoon full of tropical fish, water as warm as a bath. I learned on 14 foot open deck sports boats. The instructor was Zoran, a huge giant of a bloke from Sarajevo. One day, wind got up a bit, force 6 or 7, he took the helm, showed me how the fastest was when the upwind hull was just skiffing the waves, as we both stood on it leaning out. Very exhilarating.

I later asked him how fast we had been going. Zoran said, 'Listen my friend, a catamaran only has two speeds, fast and fucking fast and that was fucking fast!'

Happy days!

TW, greatly enjoyed your sailing video. Few years ago, I was lucky enough to do a catamaran course in the Maldives. Paradise, lagoon full of tropical fish, water as warm as a bath. I learned on 14 foot open deck sports boats. The instructor was Zoran, a huge giant of a bloke from Sarajevo. One day, wind got up a bit, force 6 or 7, he took the helm, showed me how the fastest was when the upwind hull was just skiffing the waves, as we both stood on it leaning out. Very exhilarating.

I later asked him how fast we had been going. Zoran said, 'Listen my friend, a catamaran only has two speeds, fast and fucking fast and that was fucking fast!'

Happy days!
I spent many happy hours of my youth on a 16 foot Hobie Cat. My brother and I sailed a lot on one of the prettiest lakes in Texas.
That feeling of hiking out, standing on the hull, just skimming the water is exhilarating! The whole boat would hum from the speed!
If you hit a big wave and stuffed the nose of the downwind hull, you went for a ride!!

We had a little break in the heat this morning so I managed to get out early for a ride. I headed out through the desert and farmland South of my house until I hit the Old US Highway 80 that goes all the way to Gila Bend, this old two lane highway has since been bypassed by a big multi lane super slab. But this old road is much more fun , it meanders through open desert and skirts along mountain foothills and farmland. From where I’m at, Gila Bend is about 40 miles straight ahead.
09950A53-F109-44D2-9A13-C32C3D426EAB.jpeg

Today I only rode as far as the farm community of Arlington and took a break at the local tiny post office.
2EC341A4-65E7-45DE-8540-6B42AC0B67B2.jpeg
980274ED-3071-4BC5-A63F-2D62EE952853.jpeg

This is a good time to show you my new summer gloves! Cortech Hyper Flow short cuff gloves. Pretty good protection and super comfortable. Good ventilation too! 🙂
055885C5-AC2D-44DE-8E60-0C27C07664DF.jpeg
51CFC878-5013-4CDA-944E-80AF5FE117C7.jpeg
193BA378-56CC-400B-9F91-5C1E19B076D7.jpeg

When I left the house this morning it was a cool 76 degrees, but it’s already over 90 and climbing fast, so I turned around and headed for home. On the way I was riding past the Buckeye municipal airport. I turned in on a whim.
A03C1859-82E7-4DB1-B1E1-14A0FFE53EFC.jpeg
58112257-5694-4354-9FD3-37848841115B.jpeg

As I was standing there, I looked up at an airplane I heard overhead and saw the sky above me was filled with sky divers ( there is a sky diving school at the airport ) I watched for a moment, trying to figure out where they would land and then I hopped on my bike and beat it over to the open field where they were landing. Today was a bunch of tourists taking tandem dives. ( trivia: look off in the distance behind my bike and you can see the hangers I visited where the vintage airplanes are parked )
971BB868-82E6-4239-8ADA-F265BADFCB6C.jpeg6634D690-27AE-4753-9F49-266224DDCA78.jpeg14D965E0-5889-40C8-85FA-C97BDA9E6F7A.jpeg69E8CC50-E068-4B39-8FEA-6653027D58B0.jpeg09F827FB-5D96-4AE3-AC4C-45A504F12883.jpeg7E10D153-0FFB-4966-A38D-C61AE9CC6B16.jpeg650A8D03-B93F-4B1F-9A9C-FAB1414FD1ED.jpeg09E4DB48-8E83-44B2-BCCD-FFA5BBD59E25.jpeg846BCB37-B01D-48EA-9698-CC88A4855A64.jpegD79CDFC6-077F-4B3F-8728-E981A161812E.jpeg

Now, I can head for home! Stopped and got gas, I’m averaging just over 56mpg on this bike which is just outstanding considering it’s not even broken in yet! My average riding has been mostly two lane highways at 50-70 mph. I need 75 more miles on it and I will be able to give it , it’s first big service. Woo! 😄
96 degrees when I got home and coincidentally 96 miles I rode today. Serendipity baby!

Last edited:
We had a little break in the heat this morning so I managed to get out early for a ride. I headed out through the desert and farmland South of my house until I hit the Old US Highway 80 that goes all the way to Gila Bend, this old two lane highway has since been bypassed by a big multi lane super slab. But this old road is much more fun , it meanders through open desert and skirts along mountain foothills and farmland. From where I’m at, Gila Bend is about 40 miles straight ahead.
View attachment 216822
Today I only rode as far as the farm community of Arlington and took a break at the local tiny post office.
View attachment 216824View attachment 216825

This is a good time to show you my new summer gloves! Cortech Hyper Flow short cuff gloves. Pretty good protection and super comfortable. Good ventilation too! 🙂
View attachment 216826View attachment 216827View attachment 216842

When I left the house this morning it was a cool 76 degrees, but it’s already over 90 and climbing fast, so I turned around and headed for home. On the way I was riding past the Buckeye municipal airport. I turned in on a whim.
View attachment 216828View attachment 216829

As I was standing there, I looked up at an airplane I heard overhead and saw the sky above me was filled with sky divers ( there is a sky diving school at the airport ) I watched for a moment, trying to figure out where they would land and then I hopped on my bike and beat it over to the open field where they were landing. Today was a bunch of tourists taking tandem dives. ( trivia: look off in the distance behind my bike and you can see the hangers I visited where the vintage airplanes are parked )
View attachment 216830View attachment 216833View attachment 216834View attachment 216835View attachment 216836View attachment 216837View attachment 216838View attachment 216839View attachment 216840View attachment 216841

Now, I can head for home! Stopped and got gas, I’m averaging just over 56mpg on this bike which is just outstanding considering it’s not even broken in yet! My average riding has been mostly two lane highways at 50-70 mph. I need 75 more miles on it and I will be able to give it , it’s first big service. Woo! 😄
96 degrees when I got home and coincidentally 96 miles I rode today. Serendipity baby!
Cool Aercoupe.

Back