Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After stopping at "Town of Rhine" Civil War Memorial I motored over to the county Veterans Memorial. There were 3 6 foot by 8foot granite slabs dedicated to veterans from the Civil War. That was a painful time in our history for both sides but I think we as the US are stronger for having endured that horror. My grandmother told stories of her mother watching the "boys" March off down the main street. It happened both north and south. It was another time with different beliefs, hopes and expectations. Semper Fi to ALL.

Just a couple hundred miles is the plan today, the iola car show Wisconsin's largest. Temps in the 50s to start.
KIMG1555.JPG

Bout nother hour to home, a good turnout great weather, lots of cool cars.

KIMG1565.JPG
KIMG1558.JPG
KIMG1561.JPG

Weathervane ran great.
No super slab mostly pleasant gently curving state and county roads, mostly around 60MPH with 17 34 gears.
A change to a 33 rear sprocket might be nice, BUT XS1's have a tall first gear, so gearing up too far would result in unpleasant parking lot, grass field manners, requiring clutching for puttering around speeds.
With tapered steering bearings, fresh K70's, and just a bit of weight in the bags, I didn't need to use the steering damper. But experimenting wiggling the bars at speed I could tell it wasn't far away from wanting a bit of knob snugging.
Shocks and forks a bit stiff. I used the factory called for 30 weight motor oil and amount. pretty sure 20 weight would be better.
Spent some time messing with the choke system before the ride, found a slightly bent plunger bracket was keeping one choke slightly open, when adjusted mostly cured idle RPM blubbering and bumped fuel mileage from 40 to 45, there's still a bit of an issue, at idle, next up is swapping throttle cables and twist grip to the new set from Sodak. I think those parts on this bike may have been non stock, mebbie from a previously used set of high handle bars?? Going to change routing a bit also. Gotta be so careful with the two throttle cable set ups.

Last edited:
Dang purty bike Gary. I've never ridden an early XS with a drum front, how well does it work?

I could write a book, but after a bit of fiddling, head scratching, fiddling, it now works very well. Normal braking can be two finger with plenty of space between lever and bar even at screeching the tire squeeze levels.
I will do a setting a two leading shoe brake article when I pull down Sodak's front end for R&R.

Took a little jaunt to the Ohio River on the bobber this evening. Standard "3 x5" tow upbound in the background.
Captain was lay'in on the horn to clear some wayward "pleasure craft" and had a deck-hand on the bow yell'in at 'em.
BOBDXS at the river.jpg

Attachments

• 20220710_191230.jpg
    20220710_191230.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Deckhand on bow holler'in.jpg
    Deckhand on bow holler'in.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 64
Took a little jaunt to the Ohio River on the bobber this evening. Standard "3 x5" tow upbound in the background.
Captain was lay'in on the horn to clear some wayward "pleasure craft" and had a deck-hand on the bow yell'in at 'em. View attachment 218635
Apparently, the pleasure boaters are not aware of the gross tonnage rule.

Captain was lay'in on the horn to clear some wayward "pleasure craft" and had a deck-hand on the bow yell'in at 'em. View attachment 218635

Nice lookin' bike!!
Did you do a "build thread" on it? Be sure and let us know what you find on those tank bubbles.

Not the XS (obviously) but went for a ride to clear my head today. Found this little spot. Guess that’s what happens when you slow down. After riding that Duc last month, riding the monkey and finding this solidified I’ll be looking for a “middle weight” bike as the next one. Going to have to test ride the Guzzi v7 850. Averaged about 40mph the whole ride, except this road I putted about at around 20. It was so relaxing. I need to move to wherever there is more of this.
7F7E24B0-1AFA-4E8C-A71F-556F873477AF.jpeg

That bike is just beautifully done! I love the stance and that girder front end is plain cool. ❤️ Where exactly was that photo taken? The countryside looks pretty spectacular.

Thanks Bob!

That is in Marietta, Ohio just above the Muskingum River looking towards the WV shore. Capt. Jonathan DeVol was among "The Ohio Company"; landed here 4/7/1787 founding the Northwest Territory (OH, IN, ILL, MI, WI).

My xs has graduated from barhopping to traveling. I rode to a couple festivals last month, one 60 miles north of Pittsburgh, one 60 miles south. Mostly took back roads and led a pack of mostly Harleys and 1100cc bikes. But then hopped on the highway and could only *almost* keep up.
I was not gentle on the bike, I rode the heck out of it. How could I not when everybody wanted me to give them a joy ride around the festival grounds?
I wore a gopro for much of it, will share videos soon.

Attachments

• AB422FA6-.jpg
    AB422FA6-.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220707_190524.jpg
    20220707_190524.jpg
    797.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220707_171714.jpg
    20220707_171714.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 62
Back