Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey Jessee,
I'm curious, when you go on a monkey-bike jaunt, how many miles/how long is your typical round trip?
Before the baby I would go out and spend the day out. Maybe about 2 tanks worth. Now my average trip will be about 100 miles round trip. Even with the mods on the bike and my weight I get about 90-95mpg. Average speed being 30-40, large majority being rural backroads

I'm curious if it will give you monkey pox!
Monkey pox surely not. Monkey butt, an astounding yes

Before the baby I would go out and spend the day out. Maybe about 2 tanks worth. Now my average trip will be about 100 miles round trip. Even with the mods on the bike and my weight I get about 90-95mpg. Average speed being 30-40, large majority being rural backroads

Monkey pox surely not. Monkey butt, an astounding yes
At those speeds, that's 2.5 to 3.5 hours in the saddle...not bad! I can understand the the onset of monkey-butt somewhere along the line.

Can't let the desert guys have all the fun. Since I'm isolating anyways potsing around some good ole rural Wisconsin lanes.

Cutting contoured alphalfa.
DSCN1147.JPG

These solar panels installed 15 years ago?
DSCN1151.JPG

Overlooking what was once the Badger Army Ammunition Plant, swords back into plowshares?
DSCN1152.JPG

Madness happily meandered around as the shadows lengthened, sat idling at 900 RPM while taking pics.

Last edited:
Can't let the desert guys have all the fun. Since I'm isolating anyways potsing around some good ole rural Wisconsin lanes.

Cutting contoured alphalfa.

Great photos Gary, with the sun low in the sky that’s what the pro photographers call call the golden hour! 😃
Nothing smells better than fresh cut alphalfa!

If I may, that's a National Cycle screen. Those are 1st quality.
I have to check it out what I have now is just a bit short and narrow
I think what I have now are NC EX models and the old one looks as big as that one but the new one is just to short and narrow

@gggGary I just had to ask about this photo,
I have never seen fields planted like this, alphalfa woven into cornfields, and all the curvy lines. Is this a Wisconsin thing? 🤔
View attachment 221056
Used by progressive farmers around the world for millennia!
https://greener4life.com/blog/contour-farming
This field has been contour farmed for as long as I can remember, 40 years?
I nearly flagged the guy down to complement him but he looked pretty pushed/busy.
We have a good drying weather window over the next few days.

I think what I have now are NC EX models and the old one looks as big as that one but the new one is just to short and narrow
Gary's is a Streetshield EX by National Cycle. Many places sell it.

1659715897897.png

I'll see if it's marked. Most likely bought it used off craigslist. buffed it out, and stuck it on. I'ts been on Madness for years now and is a good size for the XS.

Used by progressive farmers around the world for millennia!
https://greener4life.com/blog/contour-farming
This field has been contour farmed for as long as I can remember, 40 years?
I nearly flagged the guy down to complement him but he looked pretty pushed/busy.
We have a good drying weather window over the next few days.

That was an interesting read, thanks for the link. I knew about crop rotation and the benefits of planting alphalfa , but I have never seen contour planted fields and mixed crops like that before. Here in the flat desert, our fields are straight as a ruler!

Back