Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My XS engine is out of the frame so I rode my Guzzi yesteday.
1667959119777.jpeg

My XS engine is out of the frame so I rode my Guzzi yesteday.
View attachment 229384

I like your Guzzi very much! I’ve looked at them more than once. Be careful with your tail bag, I had one just like it on my Suzuki, somehow it loosened up and fell off , while I was riding, never did find it.
96539394-9E19-448C-9259-4038DF7BED3B.jpeg

Last ride of the year... still 18* C/64* F today but we have two days of heavy rainfall in the forecast, followed by three days of cold clear weather and then...SNOW! Had to happen sooner or later but better later than sooner! Pic taken from the top of Mt. Rigaud QC, looking over the Ottawa River valley. The yellow diamond-shaped sign in the middle ground says 9% slope. Its quite a pitch down towards the river!2022-11-10-1.jpg

Next ride in April 2023?

Noraly Schumacher has been on a solo journey from Patagonia to Alaska. If you haven't been following along, here's the condensed version.... and her last day on the Dalton highway.
Not sure if putting this in "Just Ride" does it any justice. Anyway... it's fitting, I think.

Noraly Schumacher has been on a solo journey from Patagonia to Alaska. If you haven't been following along, here's the condensed version.... and her last day on the Dalton highway.
Not sure if putting this in "Just Ride" does it any justice. Anyway... it's fitting, I think.

She is an amazingly talented and fearless woman! This was a great series.

Just got back form the last ride of the season on my trusty FJR1300.
trip 1.jpeg
Left Coeur D Alene on Nov 3 heading to Phoenix. I knew I was pushing the window for weather but what the heck should be a good ride once I get to California. The temp was 34 deg but I was expecting it to reach the high 30's or low 40's. 70 miles out the temp dropped to 32 and the rain/condensation turned to ice. 380 miles later I reached Bend Oregon with temps at 44
trip 2.jpeg

The next morning I left Bend Or at 6:30 trying to beat the rain. It was a drizzle and 36 deg and soon turned to more rain. I followed a slow semi because the glare from the wet road and traffic coming at me was intense until sunrise at 7:45. Not enjoyable. As the sun came up I noticed 4-6 inches of snow on the side of the road but no ice. It finally started to get better once I crossed into Cali.
trip 3.jpeg

trip 4.jpeg

Stopped for the night in Redding Ca. Next Day I had some sun but quickly turned to rain on my way to Fort Bragg. Had some more rain in the morning but turned into a pretty nice day on the way down to Pacifica crossing the Golden Gate Bridge Ca along Hwy 1
trip 5.jpeg

I continued on Hwy 1 stopping at Monterey and the aquarium
trip 6.jpeg

Great ride Down to San Simeon. The elephant seals are interesting as the males are fighting this time of year
trip 8.jpeg

Stayed two day here because of constant rain and it was a nice break. The Hurst Castle is only 3 miles from the hotel but I decided to leave that for another trip with my better half. Finally I get some good weather 46 and sunny, cant beat that. Off to Twenty Nine Palms and Joshua Tree National Park. I have been through the park many times but its a nice ride. I ue=sed to rock climb here in my younger days.
trip 7.jpeg

On to Phoenix, another beautiful day I think it even reach 68 that day and sun. 2,057 miles of beautiful riding. I flew back yesterday leaving the FJR in Phoenix. I plan on picking it up in May and ride over and do Monument Valley again and other parts of the state on my way back to Coeur D Alene.

View attachment 230051Left Coeur D Alene on Nov 3 heading to Phoenix. I knew I was pushing the window for weather but what the heck should be a good ride once I get to California. The temp was 34 deg but I was expecting it to reach the high 30's or low 40's. 70 miles out the temp dropped to 32 and the rain/condensation turned to ice. 380 miles later I reached Bend Oregon with temps at 44
View attachment 230052
The next morning I left Bend Or at 6:30 trying to beat the rain. It was a drizzle and 36 deg and soon turned to more rain. I followed a slow semi because the glare from the wet road and traffic coming at me was intense until sunrise at 7:45. Not enjoyable. As the sun came up I noticed 4-6 inches of snow on the side of the road but no ice. It finally started to get better once I crossed into Cali.
View attachment 230053
View attachment 230056
Stopped for the night in Redding Ca. Next Day I had some sun but quickly turned to rain on my way to Fort Bragg. Had some more rain in the morning but turned into a pretty nice day on the way down to Pacifica crossing the Golden Gate Bridge Ca along Hwy 1
View attachment 230060
View attachment 230062
Great ride Down to San Simeon. The elephant seals are interesting as the males are fighting this time of year
View attachment 230064
Stayed two day here because of constant rain and it was a nice break. The Hurst Castle is only 3 miles from the hotel but I decided to leave that for another trip with my better half. Finally I get some good weather 46 and sunny, cant beat that. Off to Twenty Nine Palms and Joshua Tree National Park. I have been through the park many times but its a nice ride. I ue=sed to rock climb here in my younger days.
View attachment 230065
On to Phoenix, another beautiful day I think it even reach 68 that day and sun. 2,057 miles of beautiful riding. I flew back yesterday leaving the FJR in Phoenix. I plan on picking it up in May and ride over and do Monument Valley again and other parts of the state on my way back to Coeur D Alene.
Ride the Hog's back near Bryce Canyon if you get the chance. BTW, beautiful photography.

Man, that looks like a great trip! I’ve been up and down Hwy 1 a bunch of times, it’s so beautiful. Sounds like your ride was a bit of an endurance test, luckily you had pretty good weather protection on that bike, and knowing you, I’m sure your riding gear was up to the task as well. Great photos! Thanks for the ride report. 😃

View attachment 230051Left Coeur D Alene on Nov 3 heading to Phoenix. I knew I was pushing the window for weather but what the heck should be a good ride once I get to California. The temp was 34 deg but I was expecting it to reach the high 30's or low 40's. 70 miles out the temp dropped to 32 and the rain/condensation turned to ice. 380 miles later I reached Bend Oregon with temps at 44
View attachment 230052
View attachment 230053
View attachment 230056
View attachment 230060
View attachment 230062
View attachment 230064
View attachment 230065
Hearst Castle is worth a day or three. Fabulous wineries in the region. Uber would be good. I ran 1 Thousand Oaks to SanFrancisco once to visit a HighSchool friend for his house(apt) warming party. His female neighbors were very (VERY) warming. Long before Mrs Wicked.

A Link to many of THE Mailman's MOST EXCELLENT ride threads.
Me and Elvis.........riding with the king.
View attachment 140690

Nope, not that Elvis......this one.

View attachment 140692

In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve decided to name my bike. I never have done that before, but I figured if I was ever going to do that, this is THE ONE.

So Elvis was in need of a proper road trip. I built this bike to ride and so I shall, as beautiful as it is, I hope to use it up before I’m all used up!

This morning was beautiful out, 70 degrees and sunny with a few fluffy white clouds, a perfect day for riding.
I was thinking about the ride as I was suiting up this morning, Elvis was patiently chuffing away.
Today I’m heading for Lake Pleasant regional park. As I was riding onto the property I couldn’t help notice how the hillsides were covered with native Palo Verde trees in bloom, there were also thousands of Saguaro cactus.
View attachment 140694 View attachment 140695
View attachment 140696

When I arrived at the lake, I was pleasantly surprised to see the the lake was full. It has been a very long time since that has happened. In fact almost all the Arizona lakes are full, due to heavy winter rain and snow fall. We have been in such an extended drought here it’s a big relief to see water in the lakes again.
View attachment 140691

There is a floating Marina with a restaurant out there.
View attachment 140698

Turkey vultures were thick above the lake today, riding thermals coming off of the cliff faces.
View attachment 140699

I was really hoping to photograph some sailboats on the water today but no joy. Nothing but fishermen and pontoon boats and jet skis.
View attachment 140700 View attachment 140701

They have camp grounds and picnic ramadas and a very nice visitor center where you can learn the history of the lake and the dams construction and the history of the native Americans that once populated this region and also all about the native wildlife. It’s very nice and free to the public.
View attachment 140702 View attachment 140703

A birds eye view of the dam, which is a modern earthen dam, which is surprising complex in its construction.
View attachment 140704
View attachment 140709

Well I’ve explored every road and camp ground and the visitors center and with that , it’s time to leave.
View attachment 140705 View attachment 140706 View attachment 140707 View attachment 140710 View attachment 140708

75 miles of some pretty hard riding and it never missed a beat!
Elvis, old buddy.......I think you and I are gonna be good friends! :)
Later Bob ( and Elvis)
Looks like a Great ride! Great pics of you and Elvis, Bike looks perfect and the desert is awesome.

the gang.jpg

Wheezie out on the town with her favorite crew. This is part of a group I ride with about once a month, stopped for a burger and beer at the Governors Quarters. You can tell the guy that took the pic wanted to feature his ride LOL Lovely Bay City Michigan.

Attachments

• 7705.jpg
    7705.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 48
Gotta watch for patches of sand salt here n there but near 50f and sunny, so kicked madness to life (battery was low) and toodled off for 25 miles and a couple errands.
Out at the airport to drop off keys for the now sold hondOmatic.
KIMG2712.JPG
Just an old barn that's now collapsed.
KIMG2713~2.JPG

Same barn winter 8 years ago.
hatchery road 2011.jpg

Last edited:
Back