Just Starting The Journey...

XtremeNik

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So, I'm hell bent on building a XS650 chopper. I'm just starting. I'm buying parts here and there and intend on building this from scratch. However, what I'm wondering is if anyone has any good resources that show compatibility between different years in regards to frames, engines, and trannys and so on. Like is there a resource I can go to to find out if a 1976 xs650 frame would take 1977 front forks and whatnot?

Last edited:
Like is there a resource I can go to to find out if a 1976 xs650 frame would take 1977 front forks and whatnot?

Yes… you are looking at it.

Use the search function. Almost everything has been asked and answered here.

Start a build thread, ask questions. Someone here will have the answer.

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum, as said above, this place is the best resource for XS650s, which are a good starting point for what you want to achieve - they had a long production run and although there was some evolution there is nonetheless a high level of parts compatibility over the years. Early forks were 34mm, later ones 35mm, the later Specials had different frames from the standards, but with a bit of ingenuity people have mix-n-matched in every way you can think of and it's all on here. Good luck, keep posting and put plenty photos, Cheers, Raymond.

Welcome! You'll find all the info you need right here. But with most things chopper, you can make anything fit anything with the 3-T's. Time, Talent, &Tools or $. But with enough $ you can acquire the talent and tools. Time is another story all together. Looking forward to watching your build.

This is a two part reply:

1. So, a guy is selling a 73' xs650 already bobbered out that runs (but needs carb adjusting) and another xs650 79' that is 'complete' but the engine is seized (this would be a 'tear everything down and build it back up to my liking kind of deal). He has pink slip for the bobbered out one but no paperwork for the seized engine one. Do you think this combo is worth 5k?

2. Does anyone know of any xs650's for sale in SoCal for a good deal? or hell does anyone know of a good deal near them? If it's good enough I'd just ship it.

I'm going to try to keep this thread going through the entire process. From purchase -> Finished build.

5K, wow, lol. I guess prices are a bit high in your neck of the woods. Around here, $1500 to $2K is about what a nice one might bring. My fixer-upper only cost me $200, lol.

I've read here that prices are higher in Cal... but wow!!
That's a lot more than I'd be willin' to
5K, wow, lol. I guess prices are a bit high in your neck of the woods. Around here, $1500 to $2K is about what a nice one might bring. My fixer-upper only cost me $200, lol.
Well hell. Do you know of one that's 1500 to 2k? lol

Well you can literally never find one. Do you know any that are for sale?
Sorry, not at the moment.... but they pop up all the time on Craigslist. Are you able to travel a few hundred miles and retrieve one (truck or trailer)? If so, maybe widen your search out to Phoenix and other places with a lower cost of living. Good luck.

I live up in pismo - keep looking. They are out there, but yes prices here are high.

I see specials sell in 3k+ all day for bikes that need work.

A good looking standard is 5k

I picked up a titled project bike a year or so ago for $200, they are out there but you gotta be hunting and on the ball to get em. (They are now the exception, not the rule)

Keep an eye on Craigslist in Ventura and SB.

Or you can do what I’ve done with about half of my bikes, buy em out of state and ship em in. Even with shipping, usually much cheaper (this applies to complete running and usually original bikes).

That bike listed in fallbrook looks far from ready to ride, as in it needs to be torn down and painted. Controls look like old junk, engine looks a bit crusty, by the time it was a proper bike, you’d be maybe another 2-3k into it if you do all the work. For over 5k you should expect a complete, solid bike.

Maybe the bike is painted to look rusted and old??? Idk

I live up in pismo - keep looking. They are out there, but yes prices here are high.

I see specials sell in 3k+ all day for bikes that need work.

A good looking standard is 5k

I picked up a titled project bike a year or so ago for $200, they are out there but you gotta be hunting and on the ball to get em. (They are now the exception, not the rule)

Keep an eye on Craigslist in Ventura and SB.

Or you can do what I’ve done with about half of my bikes, buy em out of state and ship em in. Even with shipping, usually much cheaper (this applies to complete running and usually original bikes).

That bike listed in fallbrook looks far from ready to ride, as in it needs to be torn down and painted. Controls look like old junk, engine looks a bit crusty, by the time it was a proper bike, you’d be maybe another 2-3k into it if you do all the work. For over 5k you should expect a complete, solid bike.

Maybe the bike is painted to look rusted and old??? Idk
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/d/fallbrook-1973-yamaha-xs650-bobber-x2/7461338151.html

That's the actual post. NOBODY STEAL MY Bike if it's a good deal lmao

Last edited:
Back