Just Starting The Journey...

Yes, it’s a bit like fishing. You sit there with your hook in the water waiting for a bite. Then snag it.
Like, xs's in California are freaking expensive. Like there will be one that was recovered when someone was doing tree/shrub removal and there'll be just a photo of it pretty much covered by years of dirt and rusted to hell and people, with a straight face, will be like "yamaha xs650 could use some tlc $3500"

Like, xs's in California are freaking expensive. Like there will be one that was recovered when someone was doing tree/shrub removal and there'll be just a photo of it pretty much covered by years of dirt and rusted to hell and people, with a straight face, will be like "yamaha xs650 could use some tlc $3500"
And that is hardly an exaggeration.

So, I'm hell bent on building a XS650 chopper. I'm just starting. I'm buying parts here and there and intend on building this from scratch. However, what I'm wondering is if anyone has any good resources that show compatibility between different years in regards to frames, engines, and trannys and so on. Like is there a resource I can go to to find out if a 1976 xs650 frame would take 1977 front forks and whatnot?
Because I've already got god knows how many extra harley parts from my other bike from that experience.

The last couple of bikes I've bought have come from Facebook market place. You might want to add it to your search.

Bro, I am searching everywhere. The only thing I haven’t done is advertise that I buy old motorcycles, which just might be my next step. Lol

You sound like me when I was 16. I started buying parts to build my CB750 chopper, don't get ahead of yourself. Took me 10 years of changing this or changing that and a lot of money to get it the way I really wanted it. Try to locate a bike first and look at what needs to be done. Not sure how much experience you have with bikes so its may be a learning experience or maybe your a guru at bikes. anyway have at it and good luck.

Well I see you have been around bikes for a while since you mentioned you have a ton of Harley parts from your last build.

Isn’t it a never ending learning experience? Lol and a lot of “WTFffffff!!!!!!!”’s

I guess my strategy is to at least start piecing the puzzle together. Obviously if I can find a bike that isn’t buried in a dirt mound and costs 6k then that would be cool, but I’m certainly not gonna wait around for it. Because the prices are nuts here in socal. I’m gonna have to travel across the entire United States to not get reamed, which I would actually do, but it appears the reaming is spreading like a plague across the US because there’s not one decently priced xs in the US…apparently.

I think I’m gonna start knocking on doors and handing out flyers….you think I’m kidding….you don’t know me…lol

Last edited:
I have a '79 Special that I'm ready to let go of. This bike has less than 6,000 original miles on the motor and lots of original rubber you can see in the pictures.
Has been kept in my storage unit over the winters and has always run very strong. it's a bobber project that can either be finished or the bike can be pretty easily restored to original look. Has new tires, custom curved drag pipes that sound amazing, original grips and foot pegs, lots of original rubber in the engine as well. I put a new oil filter in the motor, and have a new fusee box ready to install but haven't found time to install myself. It needs a new clutch soon as I have felt it slip when I get on it. I believe it has the original cutch plates in the engine. carbs are original but I have install jet kits to help it run better. Stored with airplane fuel so should not be any issues with gelling fuel.

Still have a few original parts to come with it: a tank, a sissy bar, and new fuse box ready to wire in.

Not sure what it is worth but I have over $4500 invest into it. I have the title and live in CA outside of Sacramento and thought this would be a good place to post an ad. Would fele good selling to an xs650 enthusiast.

View attachment 209715View attachment 209716View attachment 209717View attachment 209718View attachment 209719
This in the classifieds..

Back