Kawasaki W800

Raymond what you got is my dads vernier.

This is a micrometer:
View attachment 252266

I aint got one of those either!
I do. It was my grandfather's first one, a Starrett, in it's original case. He bought it in 1927 when he was a tool and die maker in the Britannia Beach, B.C. copper mine.

With a 14mm shank, you could probably drill, then cross drill and drill / tap for a grease fitting. The holes need not be too large. I’m not sure however if you’ll have space and access for a grease gun.

With a 14mm shank, you could probably drill, then cross drill and drill / tap for a grease fitting. The holes need not be too large. I’m not sure however if you’ll have space and access for a grease gun.
Good suggestion, and as I said here https://www.xs650.com/threads/kawasaki-w800.59441/post-809384 'If I had the kind of workshop many of our Murrican friends seem to run with pillar drills and lathes and stuff, I'm sure it would be easy to fit grease points to the mounting bolts.'

But with my more rudimentary metalworking facilities, ain't likely to happen. Taking the stand bolts out and greasing them will have to be routine maintenance, just try not to leave it quite as long next time . . .

Good suggestion, and as I said here https://www.xs650.com/threads/kawasaki-w800.59441/post-809384 'If I had the kind of workshop many of our Murrican friends seem to run with pillar drills and lathes and stuff, I'm sure it would be easy to fit grease points to the mounting bolts.'

But with my more rudimentary metalworking facilities, ain't likely to happen. Taking the stand bolts out and greasing them will have to be routine maintenance, just try not to leave it quite as long next time . . .
Most American's have no idea how wealthy we are compared to the rest of the world. We seem to overindulge in tools and toys.

Stand now back on.

PICT0813.JPG

That was fun. Not.

Tried using the Allen Millyard method - bend the spring & insert washers to make o/a length greater. But the return spring on the centre-stand is a double spring - like two springs wound together. Inserting washers don't make it longer, it just pushes the two springs apart so they're no longer concentric. Eventually (!) got the little fella back in place using a knackered screwdriver kept specially for such un-screwdriver-like tasks, leverage, brute force and ignorance. Plenty of the last.

However, stand now painted, mounts now greased, bike now goes on and off the stand easier.

But I don't think the stand will be coming off again any time soon . . .

Trip to the shops in Galashiels. It's mild, not raining for once, hopefully most of the salt washed away.

Should stop worrying about little things like that anyway - Polly is reaching a stage where using the bike is much more important than looks. Patinated.

PICT0930.JPG

That wuz me first outing of 2024.

Trip to the shops in Galashiels. It's mild, not raining for once, hopefully most of the salt washed away.

Should stop worrying about little things like that anyway - Polly is reaching a stage where using the bike is much more important than looks. Patinated.

View attachment 260546

That wuz me first outing of 2024.

If there’s a bit of salt on the road, a good rinsing with the hose should take care of it. Polished, unprotected aluminum May not like it so much.

Today, less than twenty miles round trip - the usual shopping in Galashiels.

But with Storm Ingunn bringing gale-force winds, it was an exciting trip. Crossing the high bridge over the River Tweed going into Gala, deliberate decision not to grip the bars too hard. Loose arms and let the Kawasaki self-correct as it's blown sideways. Bike & rider a piece of fluff played with by an invisible cat's paw. Kinda fun and I was probably laughing out loud inside me helmet.

Still smiling as I sit here now, wind roaring through the trees outside.

But with Storm Ingunn bringing gale-force winds, it was an exciting trip. Crossing the high bridge over the River Tweed going into Gala, deliberate decision not to grip the bars too hard. Loose arms and let the Kawasaki self-correct as it's blown sideways. Bike & rider a piece of fluff played with by an invisible cat's paw. Kinda fun and I was probably laughing out loud inside me helmet.
Used to love it barreling across the Forth Bridge in crosswinds that put the shits up other riders. Used the same trick on the Severn crossing. Gyroscopic precession is your friend.
I found the faster I went, the safer I was.

Back