Kawasaki W800

Raymond, I found myself searching the for sell boards here looking for the W800 last month and did not know why. It just struck me that your thread triggered something awhile back and the thought has been simmering on the back burner for awhile now. I did find one (about 230 miles away) for sell but the dude wanted the same price as new and his bike was 2 years old with 4,500 miles on it.
I have gone down to the local dealer and sat on one and find it fits me well. I'm not in a position to buy new just yet, but thanks for telling us about yours. I, like Bob, enjoy reading from those who own and operate more than the moto-jono folks.

Over the Winter, have grabbed occasional opportunities to head out on one bike or another. But basically, most of the action over the last few months has been in the garage. Lot of time messing about with that Royal Enfield, some little jobs to do on the Yamaha. The W800 has sat, sad and neglected apart from regular battery-charging.

Today, pulled Polly out into the late-winter sun - there was some for a spell, before I took the pictures - for a bit of pre-season prep. How is it that you put a bike away clean and yet seen in the light of day it's so dirty? Wiped over with a paraffin rag, spot of polish on the painted parts.

That's better, ain't never going to look new again, not under my ownership anyhow. But that red and black tank just looks so smart. Reminded me that the Kawasaki is still the best bike in the garage.

PICT2816.JPGPICT2817.JPG

Checked tyre pressures, started and ran the engine for ten minutes. Chain still looks oily enough. Not really a lot needing to be done.

Back into the garage. Surely Spring is just around the corner?

Surely Spring is just around the corner?

Oh gawd - please say that it is!!!!! I've got cabin fever like never before in my whole friggin' life.

Pete

PS: Polly looks very nice indeed. One of my riding buddies has a W800 (they are very rare hereabouts) but I've only seen him ride it once or twice. It seems like a 1990's take on the XS650....

Over the Winter, have grabbed occasional opportunities to head out on one bike or another. But basically, most of the action over the last few months has been in the garage. Lot of time messing about with that Royal Enfield, some little jobs to do on the Yamaha. The W800 has sat, sad and neglected apart from regular battery-charging.

Today, pulled Polly out into the late-winter sun - there was some for a spell, before I took the pictures - for a bit of pre-season prep. How is it that you put a bike away clean and yet seen in the light of day it's so dirty? Wiped over with a paraffin rag, spot of polish on the painted parts.

That's better, ain't never going to look new again, not under my ownership anyhow. But that red and black tank just looks so smart. Reminded me that the Kawasaki is still the best bike in the garage.

View attachment 208513View attachment 208514

Checked tyre pressures, started and ran the engine for ten minutes. Chain still looks oily enough. Not really a lot needing to be done.

Back into the garage. Surely Spring is just around the corner?

Raymond, every time you post about that bike, it makes me want one! :p

Had to go back and rewatch that Marlon Slack review of it.
Unfortunately, I neglected Raymond's caution and was drinkin' coffee.
Now where did I leave the paper towels....

Polly having chain washed this morning:

PICT0192.JPG

Been to Gala, rainy day - though it's still dry under the cherry tree - and roads were right mucky. Used a 3-sided chain brush and some kerosene to wash then applied H-D 80W90 transmission oil with a small brush.

But can't put off too far day the bike will need new chain and sprockets. Again.

The bike has covered about 35,000 miles. Had to replace the chain at about half that figure - it had gone rusty and was starting to get stiff links, despite lavishing care. I'm probably a bit obsessive about oiling the chain, like every few hundred miles or every two or three tank-fulls. But unfortunately, can't avoid sometimes having to ride on roads which have been liberally salted.

Though, to be fair, the Scottish Government only order the gritters out when there is at least a vague possibility that temperatures in some places will get down to not far above freezing with perhaps an outside chance of frost in some secluded areas. Which seems to be September till May. And you can't hibernate that long . . .

That is a classic Pommy back yard Raymond. My wife is from Bournemouth and she caught sight of this as she walked past. I found her later looking up travel itineraries for England, Scotland and Wales. You may have cost me a small fortune!
The Kwaka is quite popular here in Oz - retro styling, sufficient grunt, notoriously reliable and that Kawasaki quality build. This 2013 model with 9,700km was up recently for $8900 (AUD).
Considered it myself but I don't dig the black pipes. Chrome on a retro for mine. Besides, I'd have to sell the Guzzi. Out of the question!Kwaka.pngIMG_0678.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, David, the garden certainly keeps my live-in gardener busy!

You could think about a W800 and fitting stainless or chrome pipes? Oh, but funds might be a bit tight after forking out for a trip to Blighty . . .

Last edited:
I like the look of vintage bikes with alot of chrome. Front and rear fenders, exhaust, headlight, handlebars. I think manufactures use plastic or paint this stuff black to save money, than try to convince us it's cool. Do any years W800's come with all these things chrome?

I like the look of vintage bikes with alot of chrome. Front and rear fenders, exhaust, headlight, handlebars. I think manufactures use plastic or paint this stuff black to save money, than try to convince us it's cool. Do any years W800's come with all these things chrome?
Yup. My bike is a 2013 W800SE - that's the special edition, with everything black and a different paint colour. The standard bike that year is green, with a plain metal engine, chrome exhausts, mudguards, wheel rims, headlamp shell, etc. And that's the pattern most years, so the majority of W800s are chrome not black.

BTW, most of what looks like metal on the W800 is metal - for example, the side panels, the mudguards - only the headlamp shell is plastic. They are well built to usual Kawasaki high quality.

There are variations, possibly for different markets. My bike has black rims but the SEs in some parts of the World had red rims to match the tank colour.

I don't know about the options on offer at present.

Today, annual MoT.

Polly passed with no advisories - the tester said 'I just cannae find anything wrong with this bike'.

We discussed the chipped paint on both wheel rims - little spots of white undercoat showing through the black. Tester said it's fair enough, wear and tear which shows the bike is used not kept in the garage.

Told him I was slightly ashamed the bike has only done 700 miles since the last MoT, but he said that's quite respectable and some come in with much lower annual mileages.

In the past twelve months, have done more miles on the Enfield and far more on the Yamaha. But today, the W had a good run out. Went to Lanark for a family visit, 120 miles return journey, and the odometer clicked up 33333 on the way home.

Beautiful day and reminded me that the Kawasaki is still the best bike in the garage.

Today, annual MoT.

Polly passed with no advisories - the tester said 'I just cannae find anything wrong with this bike'.

We discussed the chipped paint on both wheel rims - little spots of white undercoat showing through the black. Tester said it's fair enough, wear and tear which shows the bike is used not kept in the garage.

Told him I was slightly ashamed the bike has only done 700 miles since the last MoT, but he said that's quite respectable and some come in with much lower annual mileages.

In the past twelve months, have done more miles on the Enfield and far more on the Yamaha. But today, the W had a good run out. Went to Lanark for a family visit, 120 miles return journey, and the odometer clicked up 33333 on the way home.

Beautiful day and reminded me that the Kawasaki is still the best bike in the garage.

Nice! Have you done any valve adjustments on your Kawasaki yet? Is it as easy as it looks?

Back