Kawasaki W800

I suppose Kenda K761 a bit similar to Pirelli MT60?

Here's Polly with the Kendas now fitted at both ends:

View attachment 188151

Went shopping in Galashiels - still one of the few legit reasons to go out. First impressions of the Kenda tyres? Well, they are brand new so was being very careful, thinking about release compound and that. The bike feels more 'up on its toes' so to speak. They may be a slightly higher profile, or that might be an illusion. Seems to tip into corners quicker too. Bit unsettling till you start to get used to it so, to gain familiarity, took a longer route home with some interesting country roads - bends, hills, dodgy tarmac, etc.

After a few miles, as I started to think less about release compound, confidence grew. I think they're gonna be good tyres.
How did you get on with the Kendal’s’,or would you prefer Avon?

Hmmm. Your question is timely.

When the Kendas were first fitted, the rear felt sort of odd. Felt like it was too narrow, the bike seemed to tip in too readily. However, one adapts, got used to how they felt.

But last week, out on wet/damp roads, the rear let go, twice on one run to Galashiels. Picking up the throttle out of a roundabout and again after leaving a filling station, the back went squirrelly. Didn't like that very much, I much prefer to have both wheels inline and gripping the tarmac.

Obviously, they are quite worn down now. Well, the rear especially, not quite ready for replacement but worn. The front has plenty tread left.

Have been out again a couple of times and there has been no repeat of losing grip. But I have probably been extra careful.

So I have been thinking about whether to replace them. Would I go back to Avons? Probably, they have been good on this bike. But I won't fit a Avon Roadrider rear with the Kenda on the front. Not sure if it's illegal to have a block tread on the front and a road pattern on the rear but I'm not about to try that combination. So if I decide to fit Avons before the Winter, it will have to be a pair.

Or I could go with something different again. My next few rides will be about how I feel about that rear Kenda.

I'm aware this is not a ringing endorsement of the Kenda. They look good but . . .

Well, yesterday went to see Elliot in Northumberland. In line with my policy to use the Kawasaki and try not to worry about the salt.

A while back Elliot had loaned me a spark gap tester - used it with the Royal Enfield - but he needs it back. Coulda posted it (mailed in US lingo) but chose to seize the excuse for a ride, it's 110 miles round trip. Elliot and his wife seemed surprised but delighted to see me?

The roads varied from wet and slimy to streaming wet, so had to ride with due restraint. The weather varied from cold and not raining to, well, you get the point. But at least it weren't icy. Winter jacket, thick gloves, still feeling cold to the bones by the time I was home again. But you thaw out.

Plus it was a chance to see the R100/7 Elliot recently bought, a nice 'scrambler' job, black, knobblies, shorn of most unnecessary bits. Told him if he gets sick of it - actually it's when he gets sick of it - give me a shout.

Today, must try to remove the worst of the salt crud and maybe refresh the lanolin.

Last edited:
Continuing to use the Dub for all necessary outings this Winter. So while Yamaha and Royal Enfield sit in the garage awaiting various jobs and safely away from the weather and salt, poor old Polly ends up in a mess like this:

PICT0588.JPG

Just look at all the muck. But hopefully, maybe the lanolin will help, most of it will wash off and there is a new chain & sprockets set on the shelf.

That's after a short trip to Asda in Galashiels, second trip out this year. Not too many bikes out but there are a few. And everybody gives a wave . . .

Ran a set of Dunlop American Elite 3 on my V-Rod for TOO long as they are multi compound to last longer.
That means the center is hard and as I discovered loses traction easily. In 77k miles the only tires that put me on the ground. I won't recommend them to anyone that doesn't have ABS brakes which what I think they are intended for.

Raymond, Actually it was a response to your comments on slippery tires. I now look for tires that have higher silica content for grip in wet conditions, I'm getting too old to be worrying about losing traction
Ah, I see, it didn't click with me. I'm still soldiering on with the Kendas on the Kawasaki and thought they would feel even more sketchy on winter roads. But I find I'm taking it so easy anyway on damp, slimy, salty roads that it hasn't been an issue.

Hi Guzzi Guy, welcome to the forum. Most of the forum is Yamaha XS650 but I'm very happy to answer your W800 questions. You could also go to https://thelonelyones.co.uk/ which is mainly W800s and Royal Enfields but they're really nice people into interesting bikes, as are the folk here.

Had my W800 SE from new in 2014 and done over 34,000 miles.

The Dunlop OEM tyres wear out fast on the W800 and they're not the best for handling, esp as they wear out. Changed the Dunlop at 3,500 miles for an Avon Roadrider which gave much improved handling and lasted at least twice as long as that. Have since run through a few sets of Avons and I would recommend them.

At the moment, running Kenda K761. Not too sure about them at first - made the bike feel different, especially at the rear, quicker turning, almost unstable, felt like the rear tyre was too narrow. But getting used to them and, when the time comes, will have to decide whether to buy Kenda again, go back to Avon or try something else.

Are you looking at a new or used W800? I think they are great but like all bikes it depends what you want and what you are going to use it for. There's an active Lonely One member down in your neck of the woods on an older W650 - if you see him, say Hello to Angof. Cheers, Raymond

PS - crossed in the post with Grizld1

Actually, ask about the suspension - W800s definitely benefit from money spent on better shocks, many people fit Hagons.
Hi Raymond and thanks very much for the link to thelonelyones for W800 and Royal Enfield!

I got my W800 Cafe nearly a year ago because I thought the fairing looked good and preferred the black engine and wheels, but found it painful on longer trips and have changed a few things around: LSL low rise bars, centre stand, seat modifications, wind deflector, front mudguard extender with extra flap still to be added. I am particularly enjoying the the lazy torque and comfy suspension now, as well as the sound it makes.

The latest is that idle speed seemed to have increased so I found and fiddled with a screw on the left side under the throttle body first, then found the larger throttle stop screw further towards the middle and adjusted that.

Trouble is that the first screw made no obvious difference right away, although it seemed to upset things because throttle then seemed to take longer to return after blipping the engine. It's sort-of ok now but I guess the small screw may now be out of adjustment so I would like advice as to 1. what it does and 2. how to reset it, but it is not shown on the throttle body diagrams found on line.

both screws.png

w800 modded.png

Sorry, Tranx, not familiar with what screw does which on the fuel injectors, have only adjusted the tick-over once and that was years ago. My suggestion is, join the Lonely Ones and download the factory manual for free and there's pictures etc. If stuck, ask again and I'll take a look.

Just back from going to help me mate in Cheshire with the Taylorcraft rebuild. Weather promised as dry all week, so overalls and textile jacket. Lovely Winter run south on Tuesday. Used my (mostly) non-Motorway route through Brough, Kirby Steven, Forest of Bowmore, Clitheroe. Well, it was only light drizzle so I was only part-soaked and part chilled on't way there.

Three days of dismantling four ailerons, yup four, and suchlike jobs. Plied with good food, good wine and good whisky for me efforts.

Even more lovely Winter run this afternoon. Dry for first few miles then the rain started and looked like it would get worse. Hmm. Decided to stick with M6 motorway on the way home. Before halfway the wet penetrated through to me underpants, cold wet gloves, boots full of water, you know . . . still shivering a bit.

Why do I do it? No fool like an old fool? Been for wet rides before and no doubt will in the future.

And despite being blasted with water, salt and mud, Polly was her usual reliable self - never missed a beat over the 450-ish miles.

Sorry, Tranx, not familiar with what screw does which on the fuel injectors, have only adjusted the tick-over once and that was years ago. My suggestion is, join the Lonely Ones and download the factory manual for free and there's pictures etc. If stuck, ask again and I'll take a look.

Just back from going to help me mate in Cheshire with the Taylorcraft rebuild. Weather promised as dry all week, so overalls and textile jacket. Lovely Winter run south on Tuesday. Used my (mostly) non-Motorway route through Brough, Kirby Steven, Forest of Bowmore, Clitheroe. Well, it was only light drizzle so I was only part-soaked and part chilled on't way there.

Three days of dismantling four ailerons, yup four, and suchlike jobs. Plied with good food, good wine and good whisky for me efforts.

Even more lovely Winter run this afternoon. Dry for first few miles then the rain started and looked like it would get worse. Hmm. Decided to stick with M6 motorway on the way home. Before halfway the wet penetrated through to me underpants, cold wet gloves, boots full of water, you know . . . still shivering a bit.

Why do I do it? No fool like an old fool? Been for wet rides before and no doubt will in the future.

And despite being blasted with water, salt and mud, Polly was her usual reliable self - never missed a beat over the 450-ish miles.
That f.o.c. service manual should certainly help so many thanks :)
- I found that it is said to be out of print at Kawasaki and was £100+ to download

Now I'm just waiting to be accepted so I can log in......

Your welcome, Tranx.

Pretty Little Polly Perkins* this morning:

PICT0611.JPGPICT0610.JPGPICT0613.JPG

Think I know what I'll be doing today.

*Old music hall song 'She was as beautiful as a butterfly and as proud as a Queen, was Pretty Little Polly Perkins from Paddington Green' but uhm not just now.

Last edited:
I’ve been watching Scottish Borders riding videos. I enjoy them. One is aboard an XS650B. Some of them look cold, damp and beautiful all at the same time.
Glad you enjoyed some Scottish Borders vids @jetmechmarty. I just took a look at a couple. The XS650 ride is on the A708 Selkirk-Moffat road which I know well. Pretty much all other 'A' roads in Britain are primary roads but the A708 is an exception - it's the only route east-west in a very sparsely populated area so is given the main road designation by default. Sparsely populated by people that is - plenty of sheep.

The series of films by two Swedish? guys on H-Ds are only partly within our region and they make the unforgiveable mistake of calling St Mary's Loch a lake ferrchrissake. But give a good impression of the types of roads frequented by Polly, Miss November and myself.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed some Scottish Borders vids @jetmechmarty. I just took a look at a couple. The XS650 ride is on the A708 Selkirk-Moffat road which I know well. Pretty much all other 'A' roads in Britain are primary roads but the A708 is an exception - it's the only route east-west in a very sparsely populated area so is given the main road designation by default. Sparsely populated by people that - plenty of sheep.

The series of films by two Swedish? guys on H-Ds are only partly within our region and they make the unforgiveable mistake of calling St Mary's Loch a lake ferrchissake. But give a good impression of the types of roads frequented by Polly, Miss November and myself.
Million Dollar Bogan rode through on a rented Harley chopper. It was cold and raining. He had no suspension, no front fender, no fuel gauge, no mirrors……

For those interested,
Classic Rides, GLoveMoto, Nodrog 666, Million Dollar Bogan
These have Scotland, Scottish Borders content. These I’ve discovered while searching video content I enjoy.

Gloating a bit now, and don't know if it is relevant, but both pipes have suddenly blued.
It happened after getting salt on the bike before washing it off, in case that is relevant
and then I added a rubber flap to the front mudguard extension shown.

Otherwise the mods have come together and the bike has been very satisfactory,
mainly for going to the shops along bumpy local roads with lots of speed limits:

Higher bars and more room on the seat, which has been flattened, v.comfy
Standard suspension soaks up irregularities and saddle is no longer noticeable.
Low down torque and burbling exhaust are a pleasure
Dropping rear by using least preload has almost eliminated 'tram-lining'
which seems to increase stability, already excellent
Lovely smooth but positive gear change is useful and noticeable.

I guess the non-cafe version would be similar but appreciate the reduced chrome and black engine

w800 modded.png

Last edited:
Back