Kawasaki W800

Back from another Cheshire outing and as usual Polly performed faultlessly over the 440 mile return trip.

And as usual, took my M-way avoidance route. Brough, Kirby Stephen, Sedburgh, Kirby Lonsdale, Slaidburn, Clitheroe, A59 then regretfully the M6 through Manchester. The route involves passing over the high moors of the Forest of Bowland, known I think as the Lythe Fells road. Narrow roads, high passes, panoramic views. More cyclists than cars, more sheep than cyclists come to that. If you're on two wheels and not in a hurry to get someplace, it's much better than the M6, IMHO.

Attempted to follow the same route in reverse and this time managed to get lost but hey, it's an adventure right?

However, that rear Kenda tyre, which I have never been too sure about, is getting well worn and was giving me not-a-lot of confidence which is a shame as some of the roads we ended up riding while lost before reaching Gisburn were so twisty. It starts to be hard work on narrow, unknown roads with endless bends, dodgy surfaces and a question in your mind as to whether that rear is going to let go if you ask just a little bit too much.

So replacement tyre or tyres is now at the top of the agenda. Would it be stoopid to replace the rear Kenda - a blocky tyre - with a Roadrider while leaving the front Kenda, also blocky, on the front? It might even be illegal to run that combination, so maybe I need to replace both tyres. Avon Roadriders which I've used for most of the bike's life? Or something different again? Recommendations welcomed!

Another factor, I've heard that Avon is going to stop manufacturing bike tyres later this year, which is a Big Shame.

Back from another Cheshire outing and as usual Polly performed faultlessly over the 440 mile return trip.

And as usual, took my M-way avoidance route. Brough, Kirby Stephen, Sedburgh, Kirby Lonsdale, Slaidburn, Clitheroe, A59 then regretfully the M6 through Manchester. The route involves passing over the high moors of the Forest of Bowland, known I think as the Lythe Fells road. Narrow roads, high passes, panoramic views. More cyclists than cars, more sheep than cyclists come to that. If you're on two wheels and not in a hurry to get someplace, it's much better than the M6, IMHO.

Attempted to follow the same route in reverse and this time managed to get lost but hey, it's an adventure right?

However, that rear Kenda tyre, which I have never been too sure about, is getting well worn and was giving me not-a-lot of confidence which is a shame as some of the roads we ended up riding while lost before reaching Gisburn were so twisty. It starts to be hard work on narrow, unknown roads with endless bends, dodgy surfaces and a question in your mind as to whether that rear is going to let go if you ask just a little bit too much.

So replacement tyre or tyres is now at the top of the agenda. Would it be stoopid to replace the rear Kenda - a blocky tyre - with a Roadrider while leaving the front Kenda, also blocky, on the front? It might even be illegal to run that combination, so maybe I need to replace both tyres. Avon Roadriders which I've used for most of the bike's life? Or something different again? Recommendations welcomed!

Another factor, I've heard that Avon is going to stop manufacturing bike tyres later this year, which is a Big Shame.
What size is the rear?
Anymore some sizes are run what you can find. Shinko 705s on the R1200GS I corner pretty hard on those semi dirt tires. The rear is prolly a 3K tire on the heavy 100HP Beemer.

What….no photos? How am I supposed to live vicariously through you without photos? 😄
Very good point, one of my many failings is that I never (rarely) remember to stop and snap. So here's one from that internet of one of the passes on the Lythe Fells road:

lythefells.jpg

Meanwhile, missing out on this:

m6.jpg

Typical stretch of M6, except without the roadworks and queues of lorries.

Living vicariously through me might be a poor life choice . . .

Living vicariously through me might be a poor life choice . . .

Haha! 😁 I don’t know Raymond, from my side of the fence, it looks like you’ve got a pretty good thing going.

If that photo of the road is representative of where you were riding , that’s pretty spectacular! ( The highway looks pretty much like what I’ve got near me ) We are building and spreading at such a break neck pace near me, it’s getting harder and harder to get to open desert without a slog on a major highway.

The tyre decision has been taken - pair of new Avon Roadriders. Bought from the tyre fitters in our village. The rear Kenda was well & truly used up. There's still mileage left on the front one but I don't like the idea of block-style tread on the front and road-style on the rear so changing both together.

They give me a price including fitting to loose wheel so:

PICT0732.JPG

The wheels & tyres ain't as heavy as H-D ones were but Mrs kindly gave me a lift in her Mini - all of 300 yards!

Fred said they are a bit pushed but he hopes to have them mounted today. Told him it won't matter too much if that don't happen - it's OK to say that 'coz I know them well.

Then will submit for MoT inspection. Very bad news from the garage I usually go to five miles away - the chap that does the inspection has had a stroke. Won't be back to work for months, at least. Gave my sincere best wishes for speedy and full recovery.

So have arranged with the local m/c mechanic in the village to do the MoT next Tuesday.

Last edited:
Can’t go wrong with Avons, right up there with the best! 😉
Agreed! But furrowed brows have been caused by news the Avon factory is closing end of 2023.

I thought this means no more Avon tyres, as has been widely reported. But looking at that Internet today it appears Goodyear, which now owns the brand, is closing the factory but moving production to another site somewhere in continental Europe.

So, we'll probably be still able to buy Avons.

The tyre decision has been taken - pair of new Avon Roadriders. Bought from the tyre fitters in our village. The rear Kenda was well & truly used up. There's still mileage left on the front one but I don't like the idea of block-style tread on the front and road-style on the rear so changing both together.

They give me a price including fitting to loose wheel so:

View attachment 245771

The wheels & tyres ain't as heavy as H-D ones were but Mrs gave kindly gave me a lift in her Mini - all of 300 yards!

Fred said they are a bit pushed but he hopes to have them mounted today. Told him it won't matter too much if that don't happen - it's OK to say that 'coz I know them well.

Then will submit for MoT inspection. Very bad news from the garage I usually go to five miles away - the chap that does the inspection has had a stroke. Won't be back to work for months, at least. Gave my sincere best wishes for speedy and full recovery.

So have arranged with the local m/c mechanic in the village to do the MoT next Tuesday.
If I go 300 yards, I'm still on my property. Do you have to have an inspection for a tire change, or is it just the annual inspection?

PICT0744.JPG

Back on Avon rubber. Have to say the bike feels smoother on these tyres, but obv taking it easy for the first few miles.

Took to the village m/c engineer for MoT inspection. He failed it - pilot light not working. I pointed out that as soon as the engine starts, the headlamp comes on but Tosh pointed out that if a pilot light is fitted, it must work. I said I have no idea when the pilot light failed. 'Aye, lack of maintenance . . .'

But he fitted a new bulb and printed out a pass cert as well as the fail. So that's alright.

Wonder how we'll get on with the wee Bullet?

View attachment 246536

Back on Avon rubber. Have to say the bike feels smoother on these tyres, but obv taking it easy for the first few miles.

Took to the village m/c engineer for MoT inspection. He failed it - pilot light not working. I pointed out that as soon as the engine starts, the headlamp comes on but Tosh pointed out that if a pilot light is fitted, it must work. I said I have no idea when the pilot light failed. 'Aye, lack of maintenance . . .'

But he fitted a new bulb and printed out a pass cert as well as the fail. So that's alright.

Wonder how we'll get on with the wee Bullet?

The old girl is looking fresh and ready for summer riding Raymond! Lovely bike. 🙂 Boy your inspections are strict! We have no inspections at all here were I live……and you can tell just by looking at some of the rattle traps rolling down the road!

Back