Keep yer eyes open during barn finds!

TwoManyXS1Bs

BBQ Hunter
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Last Saturday, my neighbor came over to visit on his poorly running `02 Star 650. He's an interesting fellow, has a 20 acre mini ranch next to mine, came from old Mexico, claims direct decendantcy to Geronimo on his father's side. His claim is quite believable after he's polished off a bottle of Tequila. He knows how to survive in the wilderness, taught me how to prepare/cook cactus, century plants, goats (underground roast), but is very superstitious about certain animals and sounds in the night. His visit was more than cordial, invited me to his place for the day, but I knew he wanted me to fix his bike. Grabbed some tools and carb cleaner, went over to his place. Several of his friends and family were there, usual weekend gathering for mexican bar-b-que and such.

After some visiting and relaxing, we grabbed the tools, and I started walking over to his bike. "No, no, not that one. The other one!" Huh? Another one? We walked down to one of the barns, chased out the livestock, and inside was another very dusty `02 Star 650. Front end was bent/crunched/twisted, he figured I could fix it in a couple of hours. I went through the motions of wiping off dust in various important-looking places, commenting on the severity of the damage, and after sufficient grunts and arm-waving, finally convinced him that this was a lot more than just a simple adjustment.

Stepped out for a smoke, thinking about his 'project', when something caught the corner of my eye. 50 feet off, in a brushpile, saw what looked like a 4-5" diameter twisted tree trunk, emerging from the brushpile and growing straight up to about 3 feet tall. Never seen a tree suddenly grow like that. Then it retracted back into the pile. Walked over a little closer for a better look, and 'oh-crap'!

Called my friend over and pointed out his 'new' problem. His vision is not so good, couldn't quite make it out. Pointed right at the area of the pile and the 'tree' emerged again as I said 'SNAKE'! He jumped back, ran off and retrieved a single-shot 12 guage, before I could tell him that this was TWO snakes doing their twisted-love thing. He tossed me the shotgun and scampered back to the fence yelling 'shoot it, shoot it!' Oh great, got one cartridge, one barrel, better make it good.

The shot nearly cut both of them in half. He came back over, then realized there was two. He dragged them out to the open field, pair of 8 foot fatted chicken snakes. The rest of the crowd came over, followed by about 20 minutes of south-of-border chattering. Seems that he hadn't been able to gather eggs for the last 2-3 months, figured it was racoons.

The folks started calling me something that I can't pronounce, much less spell, loosly translates to: "One shot, Two snakes".

TwistedSnakes.jpg
Snake-Love-Wallpaper-500x312.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar story, it happened when I was a boy visiting an uncle's ranch near the Big Bend in the Rio Grande. I came across another pair of those same Texas chicken snakes, except they were both males, very evenly-matched, who were fighting over a near-by female. As I watched, they both managed to grab the other's tail in their mouths, and as snakes are wont to do, they both started to swallow each other, tail-first. This proceeded for some time, each snake slowly swallowing more and more of the other. As their stomachs grew bigger, the circle the two snakes made got smaller. It was pretty amazing, and I watched hypnotized, not daring to disturb the scene. As they continued to swallow each other, eventually they reached and began swallowing the fattened part of the other's stomach -- they were now actually swallowing themselves. Transfixed, I wondered just how long this could continue -- they were perfectly matched, and neither showed any signs of relenting. That circle the two snakes made just kept getting smaller and smaller, until "poof," both snakes disappeared right before my eyes.

Last edited:
Ya'll been chewing on the wrong cactus DogBunny, or the right cactus depending.

Last Saturday, my neighbor came over to visit on his poorly running `02 Star 650. He's an interesting fellow, has a 20 acre mini ranch next to mine, came from old Mexico, claims direct decendantcy to Geronimo on his father's side. His claim is quite believable after he's polished off a bottle of Tequila. He knows how to survive in the wilderness, taught me how to prepare/cook cactus, century plants, goats (underground roast), but is very superstitious about certain animals and sounds in the night. His visit was more than cordial, invited me to his place for the day, but I knew he wanted me to fix his bike. Grabbed some tools and carb cleaner, went over to his place. Several of his friends and family were there, usual weekend gathering for mexican bar-b-que and such.

After some visiting and relaxing, we grabbed the tools, and I started walking over to his bike. "No, no, not that one. The other one!" Huh? Another one? We walked down to one of the barns, chased out the livestock, and inside was another very dusty `02 Star 650. Front end was bent/crunched/twisted, he figured I could fix it in a couple of hours. I went through the motions of wiping off dust in various important-looking places, commenting on the severity of the damage, and after sufficient grunts and arm-waving, finally convinced him that this was a lot more than just a simple adjustment.

Stepped out for a smoke, thinking about his 'project', when something caught the corner of my eye. 50 feet off, in a brushpile, saw what looked like a 4-5" diameter twisted tree trunk, emerging from the brushpile and growing straight up to about 3 feet tall. Never seen a tree suddenly grow like that. Then it retracted back into the pile. Walked over a little closer for a better look, and 'oh-crap'!

Called my friend over and pointed out his 'new' problem. His vision is not so good, couldn't quite make it out. Pointed right at the area of the pile and the 'tree' emerged again as I said 'SNAKE'! He jumped back, ran off and retrieved a single-shot 12 guage, before I could tell him that this was TWO snakes doing their twisted-love thing. He tossed me the shotgun and scampered back to the fence yelling 'shoot it, shoot it!' Oh great, got one cartridge, one barrel, better make it good.

The shot nearly cut both of them in half. He came back over, then realized there was two. He dragged them out to the open field, pair of 8 foot fatted chicken snakes. The rest of the crowd came over, followed by about 20 minutes of south-of-border chattering. Seems that he hadn't been able to gather eggs for the last 2-3 months, figured it was racoons.

The folks started calling me something that I can't pronounce, much less spell, loosly translates to: "One shot, Two snakes".

Well, I think you got a new handle: Dos Culebras

TwoMany, sorry for horning in on your story. Mine comes from favorite Texas literary son and tall tale re-teller J. Frank Dobie, who wrote an entire book on Old West rattlesnake stories.

If he had heard your version, I am sure he would have included it -- much embellished -- in his book "Rattlesnakes."

XJWMX - I'm sure those boys could tell enuff stories to start another series...

Dogbunny - You did not hijack this thread, you embellished it, great story. Wow, J. Frank Dobie, one of my favorites. It's an honor to be compared to one of the legends, Thanks!

Burns - "Dos Culebras" - That almost sounds like part of what they were saying! Now that you've spelled it, it'll be easier to remember since that road ran near my boyhood home.

Working on another bike/snake story, guess I'll add to this thread later...

XJWMX - I'm sure those boys could tell enuff stories to start another series...

Dogbunny - You did not hijack this thread, you embellished it, great story. Wow, J. Frank Dobie, one of my favorites. It's an honor to be compared to one of the legends, Thanks!

Burns - "Dos Culebras" - That almost sounds like part of what they were saying! Now that you've spelled it, it'll be easier to remember since that road ran near my boyhood home.

Working on another bike/snake story, guess I'll add to this thread later...

"Culebra" is Spanish for snake and that road you're talking about got its name cause it winds around like a snake.

Well, how 'bout another bike/snake story?

Back in `75, after getting the hotrodded XS broken-in, a friend of mine and I went for a little country ride. To protect the innocent and save thousands of lives, we'll just call him 'Sam'. Sam was riding a stripped-down shovelhead, I on the rip-snortin' XS. For anybody wondering what happens when you take your typical XS650, trim it down, open it up to 750cc, performance cam, tuned Mikuni VM36's, open (but tuned) TT pipes, etc, etc, and a few other tricks, ...well it's night and day, Jeckel and Hyde, David Banner and Hulk, Kent and Superman, wine cooler and Everclear, Abbot and Costel...., well, you get the idea. That thing would explode out of the launch and could boil the rear tire throughout 1st gear up to 60 mph. What a ride.

But, this was a slow, easy cruise, just enjoying the Texas hillcountry, summertime ride. On the return, decided to ride a new road, freshly laid for a new subdivision, smooth as silk. Came around a turn, onto a straightaway, and just before gassing it, saw a moving treebranch emerging onto the road from the thick overbrush. Passed it, realized it looked like a diamondback rattlesnake, and slowed to a stop. Sam pulled up alongside, wondering what's up. "Did you see that snake?" as I pointed back up the road. "What snake?" quizzed Sam. "Cmon, I'll show you". So we rode back, along the opposite edge, about 50 feet past the emerging snake, and turned around. Sam pointed to it: "....That's a rattlesnake!" He was not known for his rapid observation skills, but this got his attention. We sat there for a minute as this 8-footer came all the way out onto this freshly-paved, smooth, straightaway dragstrip looking stretch of road. You can see where this is going. Sam knew I was cooking-up something stupid in my heat-drenched head, leaned over and shouted "What are you going to do?".

This was a residential neighborhood, parents, children, kids, pets, real estate developers. They don't need another loose rattler wandering about. I still remember the great snake round-ups of the 50's, and one of my childhood friend's left leg with the 30-plus X-cuts in it where they sucked out the venom. Can't have this. Besides, the XS was saying: "Okay, we've done enuff of this slow pleasure riding crap, TURN ME LOOSE!"

I yelled back at Sam: "I'm gonna cut it in half!", not giving him time to ponder, discuss, protest, or prepare. With that, did a boiling 9 grand launch right toward the middle of this moving log, just like Don Garlitts doing one of his crowd-thrillng burnouts. Figured I'd be doing at least 20 mph by the time I hit it, plenty of speed to be safe and get the job done. I remember hearing a strange sound as the boiling rear tire buzz-sawed over the snake. Glanced back under the wheel, all was fine, came to a stop. Looked back under again just to be sure, and Sam roars up, skidding to a stop alongside. He had this wild/panicked/gonna-kill-you look in his eyes. He started yelling: "Are you f**king crazy!", plus more than I remember. Apparently, he was under the influence of about 2 quarts of adrenaline.

What happened, according to a wild-eyed Sam, was that (in slow-motion now) the snake had coiled-up, roll-spun under my rear wheel, then was propel-ejected at Sam, landing right in his lap. Faster than the speed of blink, he grabbed it and tossed it overhead behind him. He was outta there before it hit the ground.

I turned around to go check on the snake, while Sam burned through a pack-and-a-half worth of cigarettes. The rattler was still in the road, only the front half was still moving. I decided to park the front wheel on it, just behind the head. Got off, pulled out my pocketknife, and cut off the head. Rolled the bike off it just as Sam came over. "NOW what are you doing?" (for some reason, I get asked that a lot). "Gonna take it home! Snakeskin, head and rattles" (12 of them, a trophy) Sam, still puffing away, watches as I take my shirt off, lay it down, and put the head and rattles in the middle. Then took the snake body, coiled it up in the middle of the shirt, picked-up four corners, and tied it up like a hobo sack. The sack hooked perfectly over the middle fork of the sissy-bar, and sat on the back seat. Ready to go...

Continued the ride back home, no-shirt bareback, new trophy riding fine. Got back onto main roads, riding with traffic, enjoying the occasional glances from nearby drivers.

Now, admit it, we all get a certain amount of enjoyment from others admiring our rides, no matter how much 'I-don't-care-what-others-think' rebellious nature you have. It's built-in to this hobby/addiction/culture, it's in our nature, it drives us. We look forward to this 'look-at-me-and-my-rad-bike' attention. I was 23 at the time, hair on fire, I earned it, was entitled to this.

Pulled-up to a traffic light, girl in a late model Impala pulled up alongside. I did a slow look toward her, expecting that usual flirtatious look of admiration. Instead, what I got was a look of absolute horror, like she had just got out of "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". At the same time, someone started tapping me on my barebacked shoulder, with his sharp, gnarly fingernail. Well, that's just rude. What's this guy want? What kinda bike is this, or who built it, or where can I get this part? Or worse, a traffic officer, here to 'help' me. So, I turn around, mildly irritated by the constant gnarly-fingernailed tapping.

Nobody was there! Looked a little further back, and found that the snake body had come back to life, was working itself backwards out of my makeshift hobosack, and its rattles were reaching out and poking me in the back! Whoa! I slid forward up onto the tank, almost onto the handlebars! At the same time the light turned green and 'horror' girl sped off. I finished the ride home, atop the gas cap. Don't remember how I was able to work the mid-mounts that way.

At home, got the snake skinned and pinned-up for curing. Fitted toothpicks into the head to hold it open, propping the fangs fully outward, put it on a piece of cardboard. Next, found a sunny spot with an anthill, the ants would pick it clean, sunlight would bleach-harden the remains, perfect for trophy-mounting. Set the rattles there with it to be ant-cleaned. Checked on it the next day, and the head and rattles were gone! Never found it. Did notice some of the neighborhood cats walking kinda funny...

Texas has 10 species of rattlers with the most common being the Western Diamondback which can grow to nearly 8 feet in length and nearly 100 pounds in weight. That is a BIG snake. And its venom is NASTY. Even a little one can kill ya cemetary dead and it is a horribly painful way to go.

I'm thinkin' a motorcycle would not be my first choice of weapon in dealing with one.

I have ranch cats - NO snakes or reptiles, except the occasional tortoise. NO rats or mice.
My neighbor has only 1 cat, household, spoiled. He's thinking about adopting some of mine.

We do get other types of interesting varmints out here, plus some unexplained stuff on the game cameras. At night, you'll hear some kind of hehehehehe owl. Neighbor calls them 'laughing witches', and runs the other way. He rides his horses bareback and barefoot, has a 16 year old black wolf, various livestock, strange medicinal concoctions, including rattlesnake venom for special ailments, yet these 'sounds' terrify him. Now, he's telling me stories of a mysterious black/fast 'devil dog' that occassionally appears/disappears, even his kids have seen it. Time for fresh batteries in the game cameras.

More stories and mystery pics to follow...

Screw the game cameras, decided it's better if I start carring sidearm during my outdoor forays, especially at nighttime. So, last night, I'm in the barn, removed the headlight and ignition switch plate so as to mock-up and mount that new voltage monitor LED that gggGary sent yesterday.

Imagine, all you need to know about your battery voltage in ONE individual LED, done with combinations of colors and flashes! Will be posting results soon.

So I've just started tapping a mount hole thread, when a series of clank/bangs occurs outside. Damm cats, probably chasing each other all over tarnation out there. Better check it out. Stepped outside, armed, of course, wearing my modified hat, with a built-in LED headlight. Scanned the area, typical eyeballs reflecting back, but, one blinking rather fast compared to the cats.

Here we go again. Normally I leave these guys be, I don't bother them, they don't bother me. Until one gets smart, learns how to get into stuff, especially the feed stores. I move slowly up, don't like making shots over 25 yards at night. At about 15 yards, he's getting ready to vamoose. Not tonight...

Attachments

• Coon1.jpg
    Coon1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 377
Screw the game cameras, decided it's better if I start carring sidearm during my outdoor forays, especially at nighttime. So, last night, I'm in the barn, removed the headlight and ignition switch plate so as to mock-up and mount that new voltage monitor LED that gggGary sent yesterday.

Imagine, all you need to know about your battery voltage in ONE individual LED, done with combinations of colors and flashes! Will be posting results soon.

So I've just started tapping a mount hole thread, when a series of clank/bangs occurs outside. Damm cats, probably chasing each other all over tarnation out there. Better check it out. Stepped outside, armed, of course, wearing my modified hat, with a built-in LED headlight. Scanned the area, typical eyeballs reflecting back, but, one blinking rather fast compared to the cats.

Here we go again. Normally I leave these guys be, I don't bother them, they don't bother me. Until one gets smart, learns how to get into stuff, especially the feed stores. I move slowly up, don't like making shots over 25 yards at night. At about 15 yards, he's getting ready to vamoose. Not tonight...

I reckon that's a bit more varmit than your cats could handle. No match for that hand-cannon though.

Okay, I promised y'all some interesting game camera pictures:

I wear a special headlamp on my hat during night excursions, and the wildlife eyeballs really show up bright. Seeing a pair of floating eyes looking back at you from a distance adds to the thrill. This buck posed in front of the game camera for a nighttime infrared photo, eyes much brighter than what you'd see with my hatlight. But, what are those two red dots on the far right?

full

Well, inline image not working, lets try insert:

Attachments

• BuckEyes.jpg
    BuckEyes.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 301
Okay, morning pics.
1 - Buck wanders in for a shot.
2 - Couple of does, "moon" shot.
3 - Another "moon" shot, but what is it? Tail, black center, long white fringe?
4 - Rear half of mystery critter, with whitetail doe.

Attachments

• Buck.jpg
    Buck.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 335
  • WhiteTails.jpg
    WhiteTails.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 310
  • BlackTail1.jpg
    BlackTail1.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 323
  • BlackTail2.jpg
    BlackTail2.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 333
OK was that doe stump broke for the angus bull? Or do you have some of those wee little angus bulls from the 50's there?
The ones that topped out at 900 lb.s and 4 feet tall?

One of the things we noted when in your stomping grounds was the high toll the high fences are having on deer. We saw several dead and decomposing on the road side of the fence. One looked to tangled in the fence but I didn't stop to check closely.
The more man meddles. . . . . . . . . . .

Yeah, there's some scary meddling goin' on down here. I recall seeing a report that over 50,000 ranches in Texas are now registered as 'exotic' game hunts. More profitable, and no restricted season on animals not indigenous to the state. Hence the tall 'game' fences. The Fredericksburg area is noted to have the highest population density of whitetail, they're almost like pets, little fear of man. When I sit outside in the evenings, they just come up and wander all around me. I thought maybe that orange/black fluffy blacktail thing might have been an escapee from some exotic ranch. Took those pictures around town, non of the ranchers could identify it. About a year after those pics, a friend of mine and I saw one just like it in a field about 8 miles east of here. Still don't know what it is...

1 - Nighttime, near the main road. A deer walks by. (white squares in backround are road markers)

2 - So, now what is THIS thing?

Attachments

• RibbonDeer.jpg
    RibbonDeer.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 327
  • Ribbon.jpg
    Ribbon.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 319
Back