kickstart

No, that's the one that replaced the one you've got for the #4 starter gear. You need this one or this one. I'm not sure what the difference is, but the part numbers do differ by one number. However, they both refer to the clip as having the same 256-15687-00 number.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-90468-26045-00.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-90468-26044-00.html

The 26045 clip is the one listed for the '73 and older models but like I said, I don't know for sure if there's any difference between it and the 26044 clip. Both were used on many models. Maybe you could scrounge one?

I replaced the kick starter spring boss with a 1/4 x 20 bolt as seen in picture on this web site and I wonder how the spring boss broke and how well will the 1/4 x 20 bolt will hold up. The kick starter works well and there seems to be little "tension" on the bolt. The kick starter returns briskly to it's return position.

TwoManyXS1Bs . You have responded to a lot of folks on this forum, so I'll ask you about reassembly of my clutch basket on my 1978 xs650S.
Starting to reassemble clutch on my 1978 XS650S and referred to “Clymer” to get the sequence correct for the Needle Bearing and Thrust Washer - Inner Clutch Hub. Clymer drawing shows the bearing followed by the 1mm Thrust plate. I watched a “You Tube” video and the guy installed 1. 1mm thin washer, 2. Bearing, 3. 2mm thick washer. I decided to order your kit and you describe two washers i.e. 1mm, bearing, 2mm. My bike did not have the 2mm washer. If your description is correct, I will need a 2mm washer. How can I obtain one, or do I need one.

Mike’s Description

Needle Bearing with Thrust Washer for rear of inner clutch hub. - Fits: All 650's If your clutch does not seem to release properly or if you have difficulty finding neutral when the engine is hot a worn bearing may be the reason. Our high quality multi-needle bearing assembly is a superior replacement for the original. Note: Bearing Part #39-6505 (OEM Ref.#93341-23504) consists of - 1. the circular bearing race and 2. one thin matching washer. Parts books and manuals show this as 1 part only (not 2 pc.). The Clutch must be assembled in Sequence shown above - Bearing with its matching thin washer and then the thick clutch washer (thrust plate).

Yes, you need that 2nd washer, the 2mm thick one. Some early parts drawings omit it and are incorrect. Yamaha still sells it but it costs nearly $10. Probably better and more cost efficient to scrounge one. Do check behind the main clutch hub, maybe it was placed there by mistake. There should be one washer just like it back there but not two. There will be another small thin washer back there too.

wfEBron.jpg

Once you've been here a while, you'll likely notice many posts from member gggGary. He has quite the parts stash and can probably help out with that washer if you come up empty.

I wrote a thread earlier regarding kickstarts and have just come across this. Is that the sr500 kickstart fitted to the bike. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a suitable kickstart to clear my pipes

Brings back bad memories of trying to fix my lawnmower's pull start mechanism and wrestling with the wound spring..this not as bad. That really is a frail looking aluminum boss/spring stop. But, how much push/ tension does that spring have? I bet that rather than create another frail stop, one could just let the spring hook travel 1/4" more counterclockwise and rest on the beefier bottom case inside edge...ledge. If need be just adjust mechanism per inxs 's instructions or re-clock the kick arm.

Back