kickstart

Yes, post the engine number and we can tell you, or up at the top of the page, click the XS650 TECH, scroll down to the bottom. You will find a link to a thread that has the info you seek.
Leo

got the numbers off the motor....2F0-10580. Found a guy with a box of parts for cheap... need to find out if the kicker gears will fit. How can I tell the difference?

Inxs has a thread about kick starts, explains it all very well. You will find it in the XS650TECH section. XS650 Kick start.
Leo

It says to put the kick clip in full kick position. What is this position?
Where in the pic I attached does the kick clip have to be in proportion to the thing on the backside of the shaft that is shaped like a keyhole? :banghead:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 414
The spring with the hook on it is where it will be, it is located by where the other end hooks to the shaft. The kick clip can turn on the gear. The spring with the hook, the hook attaches over a post at the top and a bit to the left. The kick clip hooks into a notch in the case at the bottom. So I guess to answer your question the kick clip, with the shaft facing the other way, the hook of the spring up and a bit left the kick clip should point down.
When you try installing the shaft you will see just where the kick clip goes.
In your pic the end you see goes in first. The spring that has a hook on one end. As you slide the shaft in this end hooks over a post on the case. The kick clip fits in a notch at the bottom.
Now as you slide the shaft in it will stop when the "keyhole" shape will hit the case. Now you need to turn the shaft counterclockwise while pushing it in, about 1/2 to 3/4 turn. This gets the Keyhole shaped part in the recess it fits in. You will know your far enough when the shaft slides in all the way.
To turn the shaft slip the kick lever on the shaft.
Once all the way in you carefully remove the lever, being sure you don't pull the shaft out.
Leo

The kick clip has a notch in the case it fits in. This holds it inplace. The gear set tuurns inside the kick clip. The clips holds it from turning untill it moves all the way engaged.
Leo

So its not suposed to move in the grove it sits in. My problem is the clip can spin by its self when the gear isn't moving if that makes any sense

if that makes any sense

Well not a whole lot of sense :) The purpose of the clip is to apply some friction to the part it's clipped on to keep the part from free wheeling is my understanding. It has something to do with the timing of the gear moving out and its engagement. The protrusion on the clip sitting in its place in the case keeps the spring itself from turning.

With the kick shaft out of the bike the clip can spin around the gear. Not real easy, it should take above 5 lbs of force to spin the clip around the gear.
If you look at the shaft the gear the clips is on slides along a curved sline. Kinda like very coarse threads. Now as you kick the bike the clip holds the gear from spinning along with the shaft. It holds the gear from tuning, this makes the gear slide along the curved spline so the gear moves into engagement with a gear in the tranny.
If the clip is to loose it won't hold the gear.
When installing the kick shaft in the engine there is a notch the clip hooks into. If it doesn't the kick start won't work like it should.
The proper install method is in the repair manual. JUst do it the way the book says and you can't get it wrong. If you get it wrong you didn't follow the book.
Leo

Yes, thats the way the kick clip is supposed to go, in the notch in the case.
Anyother way is wrong.
Leo

Back