Knights Quest to the land of Dragons (© VMCC )

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I found this very amusing .
The annual ride of the Somerset section of the UK's VMCC (vintage motor cycle club ) from Somerset to Wales . This mini tour has been an anual event for 35 years now , I'd love to do it one year.
http://www.vmccsomerset.co.uk/2017/05/tales-knights-vmcc/

FURTHER TALES OF THE KNIGHTS VMCC
Posted on 16th May 2017
in Run Reports
0 Comments
Once more In the month of April anno Domini 2017 did the valiant Knights of the order VMCC journey from the Shire of Somerset to the land of Cymru across the great river of Severn, this for several days of quest, discovery and adventure.

These Knights, some accompanied by there Ladies, arrived in fine spirits, after a days travel, at the keep of the Royal Ship at a place known as Dolgellau, and there, did sample the local hospitality, and with enthusiasm, the ales.

On the morrow, these same worthies sallied forth to view the lake named VYRNWY, first passing through the forest of DYFI, the while, keeping a careful watch for the fearsome Dragons of Cymru. Yet no Dragons being sited, instead did the Gremlins of Cymru strike four of the bold knights.

The first struck, was Sir Michael of Neston, when his steed, Be-Emm, did falter and was found to be only able to muster a modest trot, unable to change to a faster gait . This ailment could not be remedied there; for ’twas grievous . Thus the tumbrel for recovery of fallen steeds, driven by Sir Bryan of Pitney with his lady Ruth in attendance, was called for. With this aid Be-Emm was returned to the keep of the Royal Ship.

The next thus struck was Sir Ian of Semley and lady Helen, when their mighty steed, known as Nor-Ton, did of a sudden expire, the vital spark of life appearing to have left it. By good fortune Sir Raymond of Wyke and his Lady Linda, were to hand to assist and give comfort, as were many other Knights.

Now Sir Raymond, be it know, hath great knowledge of mighty steeds and is well versed, when they ail, in the remedies thereof. This same Knight produceth an instrument, the which, containing a lantern, when if applied correctly, would glow and tell if the vital spark could be restored. Thus applied to Sir Ian’s steed, it gloweth not. Yet all was not lost, for at this juncture Sir Philp of Spaxton and Lady Caroline did arrive and declared that they possessed a new wick for the lantern. The wick being fitted the device was again applied to Nor-Ton, but to no avail. To make determination of the device, whether ’twas good or no, it was applied to another steed and immediately did start to glow, indicating much life. Then quoth Sir Raymond “We have the device the wrong way about for Nor-Ton, of this I am positive.”

And thus it was found that the life had not departed from Nor-Ton, but had been tempo rally strangled, when one of Sir Ian’s accoutrements had touched a certain spot on the steed, causing that life spark to vanish to the ground. Thus, the vital spark being restored, they all went forth rejoicing.

The third to be so struck was that resourceful Knight, Sir Daniel of Lym who’s palfrey, called Cub, which doth from time to time require attention, did tear a sinew in twain thus making further motion impossible; despite the attendance with wise advice of several Knights. This stead also was returned with the aid of Sir Bryan’s tumbrel to the self same hostelry.

The following morn the day did dawn bright, and all but Sir Daniel and his companion Knight, Sir Stewart of Regis, rode forth to view the land via villages of wondrous name, the like of, EISTEDDFAGURIG, YSBYTY YSTWTH, PONTRHYDFENDIGAID and SOAR T MYNYDD, to first view the lake of LYN BRAINNE. Then ’twas onwards to the keep of the Plough at the metropolis of Rhosmaen; in the expectation of much carousing.

Whilst on this foray the fourth Knight to be struck by misfortune was Sir William of Chilton Trinity, when his steed, “Triumph” by name, did burst a part of it’s heart and would thus only be able to return to it’s own stable by use of a local tumbrel. Yet, further to Sir William’s discomfort, on arrival at the keep of the Plough, a saddle bag was found to have fallen from his mount. “I have nothing to wear at this evenings feasting” moaned Sir William. Yet good fortune was now at his side. Intelligence was received that a local worthy had found this same bag, and who, not being many leagues away, then did return it within a short time, to a rejoicing Sir William,. “Now, can I be respectable at the feast” quoth he. It is said there occurs in the tides of man, a first moment for many things.

During the while, Sir Daniel, who having ridden on the back end of Sir Stewart’s steed,” Beesa”, to the town of Aberystwyth, had there, for the price of a few groats, acquired, from a well known artisan skilled in the art of curing ailing steeds, a new sinew for his palfrey,

Thus equipped, did he arrive at the keep of the Plough and with great determination (old English phrase meaning angle grinder) set to work to restore “Cub” to health. This he accomplished with the help of his well known magical kit and much advise, strange words, and the assistance of his fellow Knights.

So, did the adventures of these Knights come to a happy end, when on the day which followed, all departed to their various Shires.

Now be it known that Sir David of Wells has made a great achievement in leading this splendid gathering for five and thirty years, and so is heartily applauded.

So to; congratulations are extended to Sir Ashley, the only other Knight to achieve that self same number.

Given this day under my seal.

Sir Black Shadow of St Cuthbert Without

This he accomplished with the help of his well known magical kit and much advise, strange words, and the assistance of his fellow Knights.

I have been known to utter the odd Majikal Phrase while working on two-wheeled steeds myself.

Note to The Wise: Small children have a remarkable facility for remembering Majikal Phrases and repeating them at the most inopportune moments. The change in one's status with the Mothers of said Small Children is both instantaneous and unfortunate.

Peanut, should you decide to make this quick tour of Wales sometime then let me know and I will intercept you at one of scheduled stops.

Peanut, should you decide to make this quick tour of Wales sometime then let me know and I will intercept you at one of scheduled stops.

her indoors and my good self have made many excursions into the land of dragons in recent years in our campervan Mavis and found everyone we met really friendly and welcoming. Spent 2x weeks based at the Gigrin Red Kite feeding centre 2014 exploring the Wye and Elan valleys and reservoirs . Fantastic.
next trip I'll stick the XS on the back and we'll meet up for a blast

Last edited:
I want to be there.
If it was only possible.

Whats stopping you :)?

Do you by any chance have Family ties to the UK ?

You should come over for a UK meet up and we'll do a tour of the South West where its at least tolerable weather in the Summer.

In the mean time here is one of my favourite youtube rides through the British countryside on an XS650. I generally play one of his vids every day so that I can get my 'XS650 fix' for the day . Enjoy

Whats stopping you :)?

Do you by any chance have Family ties to the UK ?

You should come over for a UK meet up and we'll do a tour of the South West where its at least tolerable weather in the Summer.

In the mean time here is one of my favourite youtube rides through the British countryside on an XS650. I generally play one of his vids every day so that I can get my 'XS650 fix' for the day . Enjoy
What a friendly gesture, Peanut !
I will certainly look into this.
Frankly, I've been studying the possibility for a long time, but not in great detail.
And I haven't known anyone in the UK, although in my maternal lineage were the Bristols (from Bristol, Eng.) and the Hancocks (including John Hancock) who had roots in England.
Ideally, I've love to wheel my '69 Bonneville out of the living room
TRiumph.jpg ....and ship it over the pond to ride. But renting a bike in the UK would make more sense.

I enjoyed the video; I could almost hear the seagulls.

I'll consider your cool invite more, and I'll keep in touch.

Eeeeeeee Lads, that brings back some memories. I remember having a flat front wheel on the XS2 while touring the Elan Valley Reservoirs, must of been in about 74, i left for Africa in 76, got the wheel fixed in a little place called Rhyader. Happy Days. I was born in Llangollen.
When the weather's nice Wales is absolutely beautiful. When the weather's bad most Pub's have a roaring log fire. LOL

Back