Lacing mikes 2.5x18 rims to stock hubs w ss spokes

I am very excited to read this post. I spent a good deal of time Saturday (too cold in Chicago to do much else) researching a 16" to 18" lace up. I don't think I can justify the Buchanan's expense, so I think I'll try Mike's rims and ss spokes. However, I am very uneasy about having to do any spoke hole mods. I am really after the 19" front 18" rear look without the fat tire. I've never laced a rim before, but heck I have all winter. Thanks again for all of the tips.
Now if anyone wants to chime in on the value of the Buchanan's upgrade, please do.
Merry Christmas, All!

NorazDad. I had never laced a wheel either until last fall. there are several tutorials on youtube that were very helpful. The rear wheel for the scrambler project is a Mikes XS 18" and the spokes are Mikes XS stainless with stainless nipples. I had another wheel to look at for reference that also helped. Since there is no offset centering up the rim and hub was easy. I lucked out! The custom made Buchanan`s spokes used to lace up the Bultaco Astro hub to the Mikes XS 19" rim cost more money than the rim, hub, bearings, seals, brake shoes and axle spacers put together and they were just standard round spokes. I guess you get what you pay for because it went right together and is straight as a string. I could probably have spent a month with a dial gauge or indicator truing and tweaking the wheel but if your like me when you think your done you`ll just give it a spin and take a look anyway. Mounting the tire is sometimes more difficult than lacing the rim. Give it a shot, you`ve got all winter.

This will be the 6th season on these rims on Madness now. Zero issue with the rejiggered spoke holes but it's still a way out there mod. The Michelin front tire on the rear worked great "while it lasted" :laugh2: A VERY short experience. Been through 3 rear tires, running a 120/80 on it now.
Front is still the Michelin but it's about due.

Last edited:
Back