Large Spine Frame XS650 / Egli / Rau / Cafe Racer

What Torque spec do you all use on these Cam Chain Guide M6 bolts? I've been using 7 ft-lbs recently on all M6 during this build. But Stopped at 5 ft-lbs on these... Did not feel like they were getting any tighter.
1676776812576.jpeg

Base gasket was installed upside down. The stock material must have been upside down when they (the supplier) cut it. (No Yammabond.)
1676776725863.jpeg

New Cam covers worked out perfectly, centering the cam / bearings, line to line across the assembly. (Without gaskets/O-ring for centering.)
1676776573939.jpeg
1676776613017.jpeg
1676776667376.jpeg

Calling it a day - Got the head assembly together. I am happy with the way the Cam Covers turned out.
1676776476514.jpeg

Last edited:
What Torque spec do you all use on these Cam Chain Guide M6 bolts? I've been using 7 ft-lbs recently on all M6 during this build. But Stopped at 5 ft-lbs on these... Did not feel like they were getting any tighter.
I use about 6 - 7 ft lbs.

Thanks Jim. I'll see if I can't sneak it up to at least 6. Any idea for torque spec on the oil pipe / line ? (With the copper crush washers.) :)

I think I'd be tempted to just let it be at 5 ft lbs. Don't recall on the oil tube... 30 ft lbs rings a bell but you best just look it up... not sure if thats right or not.

I've never got on with base gaskets I was leaving them out and sealing with wellseal but because I had some clearance issues have had gaskets unlimited make me some copper ones just have to ask them for the size you want, I had 85.5 made for 750cc
20230107_111109.jpg
20230107_111119.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the inputs. That copper base gasket looks great. Got a few more things done today. Need to adjust the valves and install the VAP 277° Ignition. Maybe next weekend. It's amazing how few torque specs I can find - the four different manuals I have + Internet...

Click, click... There is a noticeable clicking noise from the head, just after each valve starts to close. Is this normal? I can't imagine what would make this noise?

Engine is buttoned up, valves adjusted to spec (I believe). Assembly lube all over the cam, lifters, etc; otherwise no oil in the engine yet.

It could be from the chain. After the cam lobe passes thru max opening, it's gonna go from loading one side of the chain to loading the other. Have you adjusted the tensioner yet?

Hi Jim, I noticed the noice with everything tightened and adjusted. Then I removed it and still - same clicking noise. It is also consistently, noticeably louder on the right, intake side. But makes noise just as each valve starts to close. Hmmm...

Unfortunately, doesn't look like I can load a video to this site. Here is the message I got:
1677642761914.png

The file was 2.46MB and I was able to capture 3 out of the 4 clicks. Any suggestions on how o share the video? I could change the file extension to TXT for example, upload, then it could be downloaded, renamed and viewed... ??

Unfortunately, doesn't look like I can load a video to this site. Here is the message I got:
View attachment 236584.

The file was 2.46MB and I was able to capture 3 out of the 4 clicks. Any suggestions on how o share the video? I could change the file extension to TXT for example, upload, then it could be downloaded, renamed and viewed... ??
Videos have to be hosted off site. I load videos to my Youtube account then link to them here.

Thanks Jim. I have never put any content in to Youtube, up till now. :)
Here is the video link. Turning engine over via sprocket bolt and a ratchet, transmission in 5th gear. Sparkplugs and chain tensioner removed. Sorry about the quality of the video, hard to spin the engine, while squatting and trying to record a video. I guess I'm not very coordinated. Anyway, I caught 3 clicks of the 4.

Last edited:
Back