Last night I scored a storage unit find.

Sonnylynnvick75

XS650 Young Gun
Reaction score
I looked at the craigslist parts and accesories page and I saw an ad for Kawasaki motorcycle (parts). The listing said:
Selling a late 60's early 70's Kawasaki H1 H2? Motorcycle and extra frame for parts, no title. Motor cranks over, that's all I know about the condition.

And by that I knew he had no idea what hed had but I knew exactly what he had. I called the guy and told him the bike was sold and I'd pick it up that afternoon. I went home, grabbed my trailer, and when I go there I uncovered this beauty:
IMG_3724.jpg

That my friends, is a 1970 Kawasaki H1 in complete condition. I plan to clean it up and restore it to it's original beauty.

IMG_3726.jpg

Oh, and here is the 72 frame it came with.
IMG_3728.jpg

Ah, the thrill of the chase! It's nice when that happens, eh? Congratulations on the find.

I used to have a 71
good to see it dont have that crazy ignition in it.
I know one down the road its looks good but that crazy ignition has the guy stumped

Nice find. If you thought XS were expensive just wait until you tackle a Triple!
I speak from experience as I restored a 1974 H1.

I had a bunch of them. Had both H! and H2 and boy was it a ride. Put some exspansion chambers on that sucker and it will fly. You just won't hear for a week or so HAHA

The rolling chassis is probably a '70 but the seat, rear wheel, tail light, and head light came off the '72, maybe the whole motor too.

Google various years for the H1. Lots of pics will come up and you can compare. '72 was the only year with the ribbed flat seat. All earlier models had just a smooth, flat cover. '72 was the first year the engine side covers came polished. On earlier years, they were painted gray. Also the shape of the oil pump cover differed. '72 was the only year with a blacked out rear brake plate. '71 and older models had a different tail light.

I had a charcoal gray '70 back in high school, then a few years later a '75 model. Several of my buddies had H1s as well. I guess you could say we were rather in to them, lol.

'72 was a big change year for the H1 and several versions were produced. Some had a points ignition. If you think two sets of points are a pain to deal with, try three, lol. That was only part of the production year, then the bikes went back to an electronic ignition (thank God).

So, if you are planning a resto, you've got some homework to do. I'm sure there are some triple forums that could help with I.D.ing the parts on yours. Here's a YouTube vid for the '72 .....

..... and one for the '70 .....

Google various years for the H1. Lots of pics will come up and you can compare. '72 was the only year with the ribbed flat seat. All earlier models had just a smooth, flat cover. '72 was the first year the engine side covers came polished. On earlier years, they were painted gray. Also the shape of the oil pump cover differed. '72 was the only year with a blacked out rear brake plate. '71 and older models had a different tail light.

I had a charcoal gray '70 back in high school, then a few years later a '75 model. Several of my buddies had H1s as well. I guess you could say we were rather in to them, lol.

'72 was a big change year for the H1 and several versions were produced. Some had a points ignition. If you think two sets of points are a pain to deal with, try three, lol. That was only part of the production year, then the bikes went back to an electronic ignition (thank God).

So, if you are planning a resto, you've got some homework to do. I'm sure there are some triple forums that could help with I.D.ing the parts on yours. Here's a YouTube vid for the '72 .....

..... and one for the '70 .....

Thanks for the info, I'm a little worried of having a bastard bike now. I'll check into everything. I noticed the seat difference and the tailight, not so much the rear wheel but I see it now. I'll check engine tonight.

It appears I was probably wrong about the headlight. The '69 had a chrome bucket and that's what I was thinking of. Here's some pretty good pics of a mostly original '70. Note the right engine cover, seat, and tail light style. Also lift handle for the centerstand on the left side. For some reason they mounted yours on the right .....

http://www.bike-urious.com/widowmaker-1970-kawasaki-h1-500/

Turn signals were not standard on these so yours have been added.

It appears I was probably wrong about the headlight. The '69 had a chrome bucket and that's what I was thinking of. Here's some pretty good pics of a mostly original '70. Note the right engine cover, seat, and tail light style. Also lift handle for the centerstand on the left side. For some reason they mounted yours on the right .....

http://www.bike-urious.com/widowmaker-1970-kawasaki-h1-500/

Turn signals were not standard on these so yours have been added.

I just looked at the engines between the two, the engine I have is in fact off a 72.......... crappit.

I'm sure it will work as is, it just won't be 100% original and correct. But what resto is? Not many, even though they may claim to be. Years ago I saw pics of the 1st year, supposedly all original white '69 on display at the AMA museum. I laughed because it had a '72 ribbed seat on it.

I'm sure it will work as is, it just won't be 100% original and correct. But what resto is? Not many, even though they may claim to be. Years ago I saw pics of the 1st year, supposedly all original white '69 on display at the AMA museum. I laughed because it had a '72 ribbed seat on it.

Makes me feel a bit better. The oil pump is what gave away the engine difference. I considered taking everything off the 70 and putting on the 72 and trading tanks and fenders to a friend for a set of 72 parts. May see how that works.

Back