Last Wheel Painting. (maybe)

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I needed a set of wheels n tires to replace some others. I selected a couple of my nicer mags to start with and gave them a good cleaning and degreasing. Then got out the old motor and belt and put the wheels in the vice and spun them while holding fine sandpaper and then red ScotchBrite to the outside rim and bead mounting surfaces. About 10 min per wheel. Scuffed the spokes with red ScotchBrite and cleaned them all over again then mounted the new tires. Masked off the bearing and sprocket surfaces first then outline mask the outer rim to cast surface using 1/4" tape with a tab at the stopping point always starting and ending at the valve stem. Next I masked the finished face of the spokes using 1/4" tape and trimming the excess with a Xacto knife. Did this to each spoke and leaving a tab on each tape just even with the rim tape so the spoke surface tape can be pulled first while the paint is still wet then pull the 1/4" tape around the rim. Tire and unmask portion of the rim are filled in with regular masking paper. Paint with adhesion promoter and then with the trusty Rusto-Oleum Hammered finish. If you need more than one can make sure you get the same batch # as Sherwin-Williams and Quality Control should never be used in the same sentence. Pull the tabs when the paint is wet and the tape line is very minimal.
DSCN0143.JPG

front wheel 005.JPG DSCN0133.JPG DSCN0132.JPG DSCN0136.JPG DSCN0138.JPG DSCN0142.JPG DSCN0144.JPG

or just spray then after about ten minutes wipe it off the turned surfaces with paper towel dampened with mineral spirits.
pentegram mag.jpg

DSCN3447.JPG

Bonus that's the front halfmile ;^)

I needed a set of wheels n tires to replace some others. I selected a couple of my nicer mags to start with and gave them a good cleaning and degreasing. Then got out the old motor and belt and put the wheels in the vice and spun them while holding fine sandpaper and then red ScotchBrite to the outside rim and bead mounting surfaces. About 10 min per wheel. Scuffed the spokes with red ScotchBrite and cleaned them all over again then mounted the new tires. Masked off the bearing and sprocket surfaces first then outline mask the outer rim to cast surface using 1/4" tape with a tab at the stopping point always starting and ending at the valve stem. Next I masked the finished face of the spokes using 1/4" tape and trimming the excess with a Xacto knife. Did this to each spoke and leaving a tab on each tape just even with the rim tape so the spoke surface tape can be pulled first while the paint is still wet then pull the 1/4" tape around the rim. Tire and unmask portion of the rim are filled in with regular masking paper. Paint with adhesion promoter and then with the trusty Rusto-Oleum Hammered finish. If you need more than one can make sure you get the same batch # as Sherwin-Williams and Quality Control should never be used in the same sentence. Pull the tabs when the paint is wet and the tape line is very minimal.
View attachment 197902
View attachment 197895 View attachment 197896 View attachment 197897 View attachment 197898 View attachment 197899 View attachment 197901 View attachment 197903
Nice work. I like your wheel spinner set up!

Back