Lathe Toys

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let me start here by sayin' I'm a self taught "amateur" machinist. Those of you that do machinist work for a living have probably always done things like this and figured everyone did it this way. Not me.... I'm still learnin'...

So.... I was reading 2M's excellent thread about making an XS fuel gauge and this caught my eye....

GCFG-NeckAdapter03.jpg

A runout indicator (TIR) mounted on a quick change block. I doubt that most people even noticed it, but I had a holy crap moment.... All this time I've been dragging out my magnetic base TIR indicator and setting it up on the Atlas. It's not that big a deal but every time I need it for lathe work... I find it in the basement where I do my Lycoming engine work. And when I need it to check the crank on a Lycoming... I left the damn thing on the lathe in the garage.... absent minded and all that. So...

I scrounged around in one of the "boxes of stuff I rathole just in case...." and found this...

3.jpg

It's a runout gauge from a JT-8D fan disk fixture that fell into my pocket years ago...:rolleyes:

A bit of angle and 10 gauge sheet and I have a mount...

1.jpg

A little paint and mounted in a quick change block....

2.jpg

Installed the indicator...

4.jpg

And voila... a quick change runout indicator for the Atlas.

5.jpg

6.jpg

It's a simple thing... but then I'm a pretty simple person....
Now all I gotta do is save up for a 4 jaw chuck and I'll be just as "eccentric" as Steve. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, I honestly couldn't tell you what brand my 4 jaw is. It was $35 on ebay. I know some "machinists" get down on the little atlas lathes, but they are pretty darn handy, and can do a whole bunch. There are times I wish I had something bigger than the atlas, but really if I need to do something that big I go in to work and just run it on the mill-turn.

Yeah, I honestly couldn't tell you what brand my 4 jaw is. It was $35 on ebay. I know some "machinists" get down on the little atlas lathes, but they are pretty darn handy, and can do a whole bunch. There are times I wish I had something bigger than the atlas, but really if I need to do something that big I go in to work and just run it on the mill-turn.
Mine was built in the 40's It's 10-15yrs older than me. I got it in 4 or 5 cardboard boxes and really enjoyed puttin' it back together. It does everything I need it to.

Mines the same age, no quick change which can make threading a pain, but I bought it from the original owners daughter with a bunch of extras for a steal of a price. Even if I ever get something larger the little atlas will stay, it is handy not worrying about a VFD or phase converter.

Skilled trades are a good way to go. I went to school for machining when I got out of the military mainly because I wanted my own machines for years, and the fact you can make a decent living at it was a bonus.

What I've learned about various lathe attachments and gizmos is that although their function and purpose is immediately evident, they also open doors to tricks and techniques unimaginable at the moment.

My favourite goto, DTI with a bit.

QCTP_indicator.jpg

Dial it in, flip the tool, and face off...

Yeah, I read that before. Thanks for remindin' me.... I still gotta make your tool height reference tool. :)

Let me start here by sayin' I'm a self taught "amateur" machinist. Those of you that do machinist work for a living have probably always done things like this and figured everyone did it this way. Not me.... I'm still learnin'...

So.... I was reading 2M's excellent thread about making an XS fuel gauge and this caught my eye....

View attachment 114780

A runout indicator (TIR) mounted on a quick change block. I doubt that most people even noticed it, but I had a holy crap moment.... All this time I've been dragging out my magnetic base TIR indicator and setting it up on the Atlas. It's not that big a deal but every time I need it for lathe work... I find it in the basement where I do my Lycoming engine work. And when I need it to check the crank on a Lycoming... I left the damn thing on the lathe in the garage.... absent minded and all that. So...

I scrounged around in one of the "boxes of stuff I rathole just in case...." and found this...

View attachment 114781

It's a runout gauge from a JT-8D fan disk fixture that fell into my pocket years ago...:rolleyes:

A bit of angle and 10 gauge sheet and I have a mount...

View attachment 114782

A little paint and mounted in a quick change block....

View attachment 114783

Installed the indicator...

View attachment 114784

And voila... a quick change runout indicator for the Atlas.

View attachment 114785

View attachment 114786

It's a simple thing... but then I'm a pretty simple person....
Now all I gotta do is save up for a 4 jaw chuck and I'll be just as "eccentric" as Steve. ;)

G'day Jim,

What is with the Lycoming workshop in the basement??

I am sure it is FAA approved lol.

Gary

Back