Leaking Petcock. Again.

Thanks I will go over the diaphragm closely. Were you able to repair the diaphragm or replace it?

Oh, I had to replace it. It was only a $9.00 item. You really had to look to see the tear and it was a brand new, Kawasaki part. examine the rubber around the steel washer.
Good luck.
Jim

Dump the vaccuum petcock and put a manual one. Remember the shut the bad boy off at the end of the ride. NO LEAKS!!

It's a shame that the manual petcock from Mike's XS seems to have taken a nosedive in quality. That used to be a fine part.

Shade, you don't have to spend all that money on Pingel. There's good stuff out there for a fraction of the price that will do just as good a job.

It's a shame that the manual petcock from Mike's XS seems to have taken a nosedive in quality. That used to be a fine part.

Shade, you don't have to spend all that money on Pingel. There's good stuff out there for a fraction of the price that will do just as good a job.

I've been looking but can't find anything simple enough. It seems there's an adapter plate you can get to run a standard petcock but it needs to be drilled etc. I don't really have the setup for that. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Shade, go to partsnmore.com . They sell a very nice petcock (part no. 20-0100) for $30, and an adapter plate tapped for the petcock and pre-drilled for the 46 mm. mounting hole centers on your tank for $7 (part no. 20-0103). All you have to do is mount the plate, scribe the petcock hole, remove the plate, and do the needful by hand with a round file to open the hole for the petcock filter and stem (avoid using power tools that might throw a spark). I don't know if a gasket is supplied with the mounting plate, but if not, just get a sheet of gasket paper and an Exacto knife and cut one. I like Gasgacinch for the sealant, although the brush-on form of HK Copper Coat also does a good job.

I use a Pingel petcock, but only because a member here offered it for a low price, and it was the dual outlet type that I wanted to try as a way to clean up fuel line routing with a pair of TM36-68 carbs. Pingel's products are insanely overpriced.

Last edited:
Over the past year or two while I have been working on this bike it may have occurred to those of you kind enough to help me out that I may be an idiot. Well I am here today to tell you that I may indeed be an idiot. I recently watched a video of someone rebuilding there petcock and noticed that they put the black diaphragm around the plastic piece where I (like an idiot) had been putting it on just one side. Once I replaced this piece properly it seems to have stopped the leak, though there is only a little gas in the tank until tomorrow when I fill it so it's hard to tell for sure. I'm sorry for wasting anyone's time on this one, and once again thanks for the help.

I know this is an old thread but I just found it so....

1979 F

I got a non vaccum model from Mike's. It leaked around the screws. A lot.

I wrapped the screws in teflon. Cut up an old choke body gasket to make washers. Put the washers between the cap screws and the petcock body. That plus the teflon did the trick. Zero leaks.

Laughable but effective. Like Macgyver.

You guys are the greatest. Janet sends her love.

I know this is an old thread but I just found it so....

1979 F

I got a non vaccum model from Mike's. It leaked around the screws. A lot.

I wrapped the screws in teflon. Cut up an old choke body gasket to make washers. Put the washers between the cap screws and the petcock body. That plus the teflon did the trick. Zero leaks.

Laughable but effective. Like Macgyver.

You guys are the greatest. Janet sends her love.
Are you saying the bolts leaked where mounted to the tank, or the MikesXS part was faulty?

Back