LED brake indicator light question

BB62

XS650 Member
Reaction score
First, I apologize if this topic has already been covered, but through my searches I cannot seem to find the answer to my issue. I was wondering if anyone could help or point me in the right direction.

I have a 1977 that I have made kick only and I have vastly gutted the stock wiring to eliminate all unnecessary components. The only thing that really remains from the stock setup is the 3 wire light checker unit (green/white, black, and yellow). I have an incandescent headlight and tail light while the flashers are LED.

I recently purchased a new speedometer with LED indicator bulbs and have wired the neutral, blinkers, and high beam indicators without any issue. The brake light indicator is the one LED that is giving me trouble. Currently the LED brake indicator is always lit and glows slightly brighter when the brakes are applied. Is it at all possible to get it to only light when the brakes are applied or if the brake light fails entirely? Might I have to add a resistor to the circuit due to the LED indicator in the speedometer drawing too little power?

The LED brake indicator is currently wired to the brown and green/white wires.

Thank you and again I’m sorry if this has already been covered.

Back