led

ob1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just got some new rubbers (or whatever they are called) for my 2 insturment gauges. Since I have them apart, I was wondering if anyone has had good luck with converting these to led? Or for that matter, converting their headlights and tailights as well? I have a 1980 xs650 special. All electric is stock except for battery which is lithium (if that makes a difference?) Thank you in advance.

I have a 1980 xs650 special.
If you have functioning self cancel feature for the turn signals, you won't any longer. You also need a no load flasher to get the signals to operate with LED lamps. Other than that, yes it's a load off the alternator. The headlight can offer an expense or challenge, but the rest is easy.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try Autozone and Napa Auto tomorrow since they're closed now (unless there are better sources).
Ya, I looked at the headlights a yr or 2 back and they were $$$ $400+. What do you mean it can be a "....challenge" Jetmechmarty? And thanks for the details on the no load flasher.

Challenge. To do it cheap means sourcing a lamp and a reflector and hoping it works. LED headlights are still expensive. Revival Cycle in TX has one that looks like an old headlight for $150 as I recall.
If you put LED lamps in the taillight, use red lamps. Amber lamps for the signals.

find a 7" headlight reflector for an H4 bulb then pick up a QUALITY H4 LED keeps the vintage look, but WOW you can see the road at night.
The XS1100 and a few other Yamahas used an H4 headlight so used is possible, otherwise automotive 7" H4 shells work too.
I've run 3 or 4 XS650's with LEDs
I had a 70 converted to all LED lighting, Madness is all LED also.
Online for gauge and turn signal will save a bunch. Walmart has some of the bulbs but they are a bit spendy too. Some of the cheap bulbs are crappy, caveat emptor.

Last edited:
gggGary, you sure have a wealth of knowledge and experience doing diy/making things work old school. I was just reading your post on swapping out front brake rotors for other modern yamaha discs.(we can't all afford brembo kits). And you share your info. KUDOS! And thanks to you too jetmechmarty! I had no idea leds came in colors. Learn something new everyday (if your lucky :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that jetmechmarty. Ok, you obviously know a lot about led's, how they work and where to get them. dare I ask where I can get the leds for the gauge lights? I tried autozone and napa auto with no luck. Found a place online (...bulbs.com) but they said they couldn't guarantee anything because they specialize in residential, not automotive (even though I'm pretty sure they have some that might work on their website). From what I can gather, the bulbs in the gauges are single contact, bayonet base?
I had checked out the led headlight at revival cycles after you last mentioned it. I'm still on the fence. I do like the retro look. And the price. But I remember seeing an led headlight quite some time ago that had built in turn signals in the headlight. Just depends on the look your going for I suppose. Oh, and budget of course. I do remember it was not cheap as in several hundred $$$.
Thanks for all your help jetmechmarty. I appreciate it!

Thanks for that jetmechmarty. Ok, you obviously know a lot about led's, how they work and where to get them. dare I ask where I can get the leds for the gauge lights? I tried autozone and napa auto with no luck. Found a place online (...bulbs.com) but they said they couldn't guarantee anything because they specialize in residential, not automotive (even though I'm pretty sure they have some that might work on their website). From what I can gather, the bulbs in the gauges are single contact, bayonet base?
I had checked out the led headlight at revival cycles after you last mentioned it. I'm still on the fence. I do like the retro look. And the price. But I remember seeing an led headlight quite some time ago that had built in turn signals in the headlight. Just depends on the look your going for I suppose. Oh, and budget of course. I do remember it was not cheap as in several hundred $$$.
Thanks for all your help jetmechmarty. I appreciate it!
I think this is the lamp you want.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/ba9s-led-bulb-1-led-ba9s-retrofit-cool-white-ba9s-whp
www.superbrightleds.com

Big thanks jetmechmarty!! Tried to place an order but apparently there's been other people reading this thread (lol) Even though they say they have 1 in stock (I was just going to order to see if it would work in the bike.) when I try to order it, it says "quantity not available" . But I will keep trying. Thanks again!

Thanks Jim I was mostly concerned about the correct bulb #. Some have good ratings some questionable.

I suppose if I get off my butt and look at an extra set of gauges it would also tell me how many I needed.

Another question I should have asked is I know you need to get colored LEDbulbs for the stop and turn signals but do you need to put the colored ones in the gauges as well?

Another question I should have asked is I know you need to get colored LEDbulbs for the stop and turn signals but do you need to put the colored ones in the gauges as well?
Probably not, but a green one for neutral and a blue one for the high beam will show better. White for the background lights.

Back