Wanted - Left side engine cover

CC1

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have a left side engine case cover they would want to let go off? Just realized mine had an ear broke off it.

Does anyone have a left side engine case cover they would want to let go off? Just realized mine had an ear broke off it.
What year is the engine, not sure if it makes a difference. Also how about a picture showing the broken ear?

Any chance of seeing if there is a casting number on the inside or better yet post a couple pictures of the damaged one?

Any chance of seeing if there is a casting number on the inside or better yet post a couple pictures of the damaged one?
MY APOLOGIES I ASSUMED THAT THE MAJORITY OF THE GROUP MEMBERS WERE FAMILIAR WITH THE XS650 ENGINE ENOUGH TO THE POINT OF NOT NEEDING A PICTURE TO DESCRIBE A ENGINE SIDE CASE COVER.

MY APOLOGIES I ASSUMED THAT THE MAJORITY OF THE GROUP MEMBERS WERE FAMILIAR WITH THE XS650 ENGINE ENOUGH TO THE POINT OF NOT NEEDING A PICTURE TO DESCRIBE A ENGINE SIDE CASE COVER.

yes there are a few that do know..........just recently there is information posted about this in a thread with a link to another thread where there was a deep in-depth study of all covers from 71 to 75...........

Yelling will get you no where........and dissing someone who is trying to help.......well......seems this is par for the course.........

No I don't have a picture of the damaged one. I threw it away
Ouch! then being sure which cover is needed might be a problem. Maybe post the numbers stamped in the front of the engine needing the left cover and someone can determine which cover will work on this engine.

Just thinking that with anything of the age of these motorcycles that assuming that even something as major as the engine is original can be dangerous. Who knows what the PO might have done.

One example is I had a 1981 bike for years and until I was doing some work on it never bothered to check S/N's but when I noticed that the engine had the ignition advancer parts in the camshaft found out the engine was not original.

Then at some point I was having transmission problems and swapped in an engine from a 1982. Latter on I tore into this older engine and fixed the trany problem and put in some new piston rings and installed the points engine out of the 1981 into the 1982 bike that I stole the engine out of to keep the 1981 going. So I have a Heritage Special 1982 with an engine that started life in a bike with points ignition that is now running with electronic ignition. Just out of curiosity I should get the S/N off that engine to figure out what year bike it was in originally!

Ouch! then being sure which cover is needed might be a problem. Maybe post the numbers stamped in the front of the engine needing the left cover and someone can determine which cover will work on this engine.

Just thinking that with anything of the age of these motorcycles that assuming that even something as major as the engine is original can be dangerous. Who knows what the PO might have done.

One example is I had a 1981 bike for years and until I was doing some work on it never bothered to check S/N's but when I noticed that the engine had the ignition advancer parts in the camshaft found out the engine was not original.

Then at some point I was having transmission problems and swapped in an engine from a 1982. Latter on I tore into this older engine and fixed the trany problem and put in some new piston rings and installed the points engine out of the 1981 into the 1982 bike that I stole the engine out of to keep the 1981 going. So I have a Heritage Special 1982 with an engine that started life in a bike with points ignition that is now running with electronic ignition. Just out of curiosity I should get the S/N off that engine to figure out what year bike it was in originally!
Following your advice on posting the engine number so correct part indentication would be possible I noticed that the engine numbers had been filed off. Any hoot. How's about that 1972 alternator cover?

Following your advice on posting the engine number so correct part indentication would be possible I noticed that the engine numbers had been filed off. Any hoot. How's about that 1972 alternator cover?

I'll see about digging into this latter today. About the only way I can try to see if any of the covers I have here will fit a 1972 will be to dig out the crank cases from the `72 and see if the holes line up. That means I need to set the upper and lower halves together then try to install the alternator covers.

Question I might have is with the numbers being filed off are you going to have a problem getting a title? Sounds like that engine has a questionable past!

Okay here's what I have. The stamped in numbers off the crankcase I have that should be a 1972 are: S650-124079 maybe some one could confirm that is a 1972 engine. I know it had the compression release built into the left exhaust adjuster hole in head.

The covers I have seem to fit this crankcase. Casting number inside it is 306-15411-04

I'm attaching three pictures of the cover:
alt cover casting number.JPG
alt cover inside.JPG
Alt cover out side.JPG

Maybe someone can add something to this to say, yes it will work or No! it won't.

Okay here's what I have. The stamped in numbers off the crankcase I have that should be a 1972 are: S650-124079 maybe some one could confirm that is a 1972 engine. I know it had the compression release built into the left exhaust adjuster hole in head.

The covers I have seem to fit this crankcase. Casting number inside it is 306-15411-04

I'm attaching three pictures of the cover:
View attachment 195484 View attachment 195485 View attachment 195486

Maybe someone can add something to this to say, yes it will work or No! it won't.
Except for the missing clutch release mechanism it should work fine. How much are you wanting for it?

Except for the missing clutch release mechanism it should work fine. How much are you wanting for it?
How about $15.00 Plus actual shipping costs via Post Office. If that sounds good click o n my name over to the left and "Start a conversation". Give me a ship to address there. Best way to pay for me is PayPal.

How about $15.00 Plus actual shipping costs via Post Office. If that sounds good click o n my name over to the left and "Start a conversation". Give me a ship to address there. Best way to pay for me is PayPal.
Well 15 dollars is fair but I'm wondering what the USPS actual coat would be...

Did you keep the clutch actuator off the old cover you tossed?

Back