Sold / Found / Inactive - Left side petcock 73

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just noticed I have 2 RH side petcocks on my 73 and am looking for a left hand one
I don't need anything pretty just something I can rebuild
Let me know if you have one Thanks
Mikey

1st picture of the RH side of the tank with RH petcock
2nd picture LH side of the tank with the other RH petcock

Attachments

• RH petcock.jpg
    RH petcock.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 79
  • The other rh petcock.jpg
    The other rh petcock.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 91
I agree, but that's how they made it work.
Think of it as turning both counter-clockwise to turn off the gas.

But like I said on the 75 the levers both face foreward to turn off the gas to the 75 other wise on the 73 one goes foreword and one goes to the rear it would be tough to remember which way they both need to go all the time
It's not impossible to make what I have work but I know I probably be turning them the wrong way on both with out looking at them when I stop to refuel

If it makes you feel any better, 1970-1972 work exactly the same way.
I wonder how I got a right and a left on the 75
If thats the way it is I'll have to put a red dot on the correct position for each so when I stop I can see which position they need to be in
Then more than likely petcocks from like a 75 wouldn't work because of the bolt spacing where the connect to the tank

I said that 70-72 work the same way. I never mentioned 75. They made a change, probably in 74.
Your 75 and your 73 petcocks are all correct as came from the factory. And yes, 75 petcocks are a direct swap to your 73 if you want to"fix" it that way.
Or you can just remember that you turn both petcocks counter-clockwise on the 73 to turn the gas off.

changed with all the other changes 73 to 74?
Mailman and I keep a little tape reminder up on the handlebars.

On the petcock situation; I Have the same deal on WJL, with the ever changing menagerie here it's tough to 'member all the little foibles. Took a magic marker and carefully :rolleyes: drew a petcock diagram

z bolt.jpg

on a handlebar clamp bolt head. So I can see it without bending over.
Later on redid it by knifing a bit of electrical tape.

petcock Z.jpg

;)

changed with all the other changes 73 to 74?
Mailman and I keep a little tape reminder up on the handlebars.

On the petcock situation; I Have the same deal on WJL, with the ever changing menagerie here it's tough to 'member all the little foibles. Took a magic marker and carefully :rolleyes: drew a petcock diagram

z bolt.jpg

on a handlebar clamp bolt head. So I can see it without bending over.
Later on redid it by knifing a bit of electrical tape.

View attachment 205133
;)
Strange but hey if it works
And I just happen to have a magic maker handy
As always thanks guys !!

If you buy aftermarket petcocks both will point forward when off. That's what I have on my XS2 now.
I do plan on putting the correct ones back on some day.
I still catch myself wanting to flip the left side backwards. Must be muscle memory from 40+ years ago.
My BMr has the best of both worlds. Down is on, up is reserve and both forward and backwards are both off. Those sneaky Germans.

Back