@Pmchop

looks stock to me................The only way to be sure of the model is through the vin no..............Has all the hall marks of a 79F. Often find a re-registered/tagged bike goes off the manufacturing date. Because the models manufacturing date span over 2 years this causes a lot of miss-information.

Do you have pics of the Gauges or could you post one?

• 665083134 (1).jpg

• 665083187.jpg
  • Vin no charts the bike as a 79F. Gauges and all tins match a 79F

I've owned this bike for 20+ years. It never ran right and spent a lot of time parked in the garage while I rode a parade of other bikes. The stars finally aligned last summer and I have been able to spend countless hours (and dollars) rebuilding this 1982 Heritage Special into what I wanted ever since I heard of Mule motorcycles. The black stripes outlining the paint are tape. Since the first 2 pics were taken i got a little "real" pinstriping done. Now the tape has been replaced by paint and the last pic shows the tank with a little flourish.
Elsewhere, the eagle eyed may notice something glaringly omitted but it's been added since the pictures. It's pretty well finished now so I'll be taking some more photos soon.
20211202_174747.jpg

Attachments

• 20220129_165024.jpg
    20220129_165024.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 20220212_121157.jpg
    20220212_121157.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 113
I've owned this bike for 20+ years. It never ran right and spent a lot of time parked in the garage while I rode a parade of other bikes. The stars finally aligned last summer and I have been able to spend countless hours (and dollars) rebuilding this 1982 Heritage Special into what I wanted ever since I heard of Mule motorcycles. The black stripes outlining the paint are tape. Since the first 2 pics were taken i got a little "real" pinstriping done. Now the tape has been replaced by paint and the last pic shows the tank with a little flourish.
Elsewhere, the eagle eyed may notice something glaringly omitted but it's been added since the pictures. It's pretty well finished now so I'll be taking some more photos soon. View attachment 207520

In the last few days, for some odd reason my hunger to build a Street Tracker has somehow been renewed? I think it was the fact that Hugh has CDI units back in stock, which compelled me to buy one immediately.

I've been collecting Street Tracker candidate bikes over the years...every time I spotted a derelict 650 Special for sale, I'd buy it and put it in storage. Life always seems to get in the way and theres always other things to work on.

I think its time! Thats why I find your posting so ironically timed...you have the glass I'm looking at on yours, looks good.

Now, I have to pick which bike I need to start stripping down (I have a few to choose from, lol).

Elsewhere, the eagle eyed may notice something glaringly omitted but it's been added since the pictures. It's pretty well finished now so I'll be taking some more photos soon. View attachment 207520

Wow! That is a beautifully done bike with lots of tasty bits on it! Some might even say it’s calendar worthy! ;)

The tank is aluminum and it is bare, polished.
From what I've been told, it's unlikely that clear would stick to the metal for the long haul. Since that was the look I wanted, staying on top of it occasionally is the price I'll have to pay. (It gives me an excuse to putter around anyway, lol)

In the last few days, for some odd reason my hunger to build a Street Tracker has somehow been renewed? I think it was the fact that Hugh has CDI units back in stock, which compelled me to buy one immediately.

I've been collecting Street Tracker candidate bikes over the years...every time I spotted a derelict 650 Special for sale, I'd buy it and put it in storage. Life always seems to get in the way and theres always other things to work on.

I think its time! Thats why I find your posting so ironically timed...you have the glass I'm looking at on yours, looks good.

Now, I have to pick which bike I need to start stripping down (I have a few to choose from, lol).
I might be in the market for another project 650 soon, if you decide you have too many, lmk.

My XS chop. Bought many moons ago and finally got her finished. Well enough to get on the road that is!!
1980 with weld on hardtail, minimal wiring, Pipes & Stuff ignition system with no battery. Still a work in progress but I like her and it makes me smile 😎

Attachments

• D75EF4B7-E46C-4299-8E64-8838DBA1C4BA.jpeg
    D75EF4B7-E46C-4299-8E64-8838DBA1C4BA.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 3DA989F2-561A-412F-80E5-745F8E6BEF55.jpeg
    3DA989F2-561A-412F-80E5-745F8E6BEF55.jpeg
    830.4 KB · Views: 99
  • E583B5ED-8136-43A3-8C60-73E53C8C604C.jpeg
    E583B5ED-8136-43A3-8C60-73E53C8C604C.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 93
  • B55E25B7-A54A-40B5-BED1-5612ED56CE68.jpeg
    B55E25B7-A54A-40B5-BED1-5612ED56CE68.jpeg
    944.7 KB · Views: 89
Very nice, much better with the rear disc tho, lol.

Very nice, much better with the rear disc tho, lol.
Ha ha! I wondered if anyone would notice!
This bike originally had a drum rear brake so it took some engineering to convert. Once it was installed and the pinstriping done its generally complete. Of course, it will never be really finished, lol.
Anyway, if nobody objects I'll post up a couple more pics of it done...

No objections? Good! Ha ha

Attachments

• 20220220_142400.jpg
    20220220_142400.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 20220220_142326.jpg
    20220220_142326.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220220_142059.jpg
    20220220_142059.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 112
This bike originally had a drum rear brake so it took some engineering to convert. Once it was installed and the pinstriping done its generally complete. Of course, it will never be really finished, lol.

She's beautiful. What brand tires are you running and what wheel & tire size.

Everyone like pics! Awesome looking suspension!

The tires are Dunlop K180's running on 18" Sun rims with Cognito Moto hubs and stainless spokes.
Tire sizes are:
Rear = 130/80-18
Front =120/90-18
Although they could be the same I just didn't know when I ordered them. I was concerned the rear might be too wide but it worked out fine.

The forks, triple clamps and brakes are from a 2005 GSXR 1000.

Curious if you've had any issue touching down the header pipe in right hand turns
Yes. Originally the muffler touched first so I did some things to fix that.
Then it was the header pipe below the footpeg that started to touch. I modified it as much a possible but it's nearly touching the bottom of the motor so there's nothing more I can do.
The ground clearance is acceptable now but I wouldn't mind a little more.

The tires are Dunlop K180's running on 18" Sun rims with Cognito Moto hubs and stainless spokes.
Tire sizes are:
Rear = 130/80-18
Front =120/90-18
Although they could be the same I just didn't know when I ordered them. I was concerned the rear might be too wide but it worked out fine.
How are the K-180's as far as wear, grip on pavement, handling etc. What rim width are you running?

Back