250_IMG_5078.jpg

334_IMG_5075.jpg

334_IMG_5077.jpg

600_IMG_5092.jpg

According to the accompanying article, this turbo version was built by Don Vesco in 1968, but never got mounted into the red 'cigar', as it broke the top gear while testing on the dyno.
Hilborn fuel injection. Please forgive the poor picture quality.

That’s a 1981 Special. The engine appears that it may be from a Heritage Special. Black cases are the indicator.
Then again, you being in Canada easily make that an ‘84 Heritage with ‘81 side cover badges.
I’ll shut up now. Nice bike!
They could very well be '81 side covers, but the VIN confirms its an '84.

Thank you for the nice welcome. I am really enjoying this bike so far. I also have a '82 Honda CB650 Nighthawk. They are such different personalities for being about the same age. Indeed it is a new hobby, I do a lot of older cars so its not too different from that. So far I have upholstered the seat and added some missing parts. Also I have been removing and cleaning / de-rusting / painting components that need it. Next I will have to give the engine some attention. It runs and its fast but it surges a bit and the mixture doesn't seem right from the carburetors.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7436[1].JPG
    IMG_7436[1].JPG
    610.8 KB · Views: 71
Thank you for the nice welcome. I am really enjoying this bike so far. I also have a '82 Honda CB650 Nighthawk. They are such different personalities for being about the same age. Indeed it is a new hobby, I do a lot of older cars so its not too different from that. So far I have upholstered the seat and added some missing parts. Also I have been removing and cleaning / de-rusting / painting components that need it. Next I will have to give the engine some attention. It runs and its fast but it surges a bit and the mixture doesn't seem right from the carburetors.
Cheers
1950's-60's technology vs. 1970's. Both cool and good, just different.

Cheers
I don't know if you've futzed with it, but I find the bars comfortable with handles down.
1660937027756.png

1660937114506.png

No top mount either! Perhaps a TrackMaster frame adapted to XS1 from BSA or Triumph. Dude is Jim Doyle, wrench before Shell Thuet and factory ride

Can't remember if I've posted my build here before, I wasn't about to flip through 254 pages to check, so, just in case I haven't, here it is, a 74 TX. I fell of a bike once, so rather than risk falling off again, I fitted some stabiliser wheels, they're great as long as the road is nice and straight, not so much if you want to go around corners.

I bought some VM 34s to replace the BS38s, sourced a cheap, stator, rotor and regulator/rectifier, rebored the barrel, reground the valves, bought a new crankcase, replaced a few other bits and pieces, painted it black and reassembled with stainless Allen's.

Along the way I made and fitted a few other bits and pieces: Tail light, seat, side panels, battery carrier, ally engine mounts, cooler, remote filter, long ally manifolds, single points cam, single points backing plate, PMA mount, cable splitter, fuel distributor, a couple of harnesses., headlight brackets, painted the bike parts gloss black, polished the ally, welded up some mufflers and pipes, polished the hubs and rims and laced them together with stainless spokes, plus heaps of other little bits and pieces: exhaust brackets and clamps, brake anchor, regulator mount and so on.

It was going to be a cafe racer but my hands and elbows couldn't take the strain, so I made up a couple of risers to lift the bars and make it a bit more comfortable.

I decided one engine was enough: I have short arms so I wouldn't be able to reach the bars if I added another.

I painted it in lacquer first off, then started putting the bike together as I made the parts for it, so the paintwork got scratched to buggery. I've since repainted it in 2k. But I'm at it again, modifying and machining parts and already I've made a few new scratches.

Elbows, hands and hip aren't keen on playing anymore so the build is slowly grinding to a halt. Once back together all I have to do is fit tyres and cover the seat, baring any more mods I dream up of course.

I stuffed the seat base paint the other day, so stripped it back to bare metal, just got to hit it with some 2k again.

I would 've like to have built a new frame for it, lets face it, Yamaha's idea of a frame leaves a lot to be desired, but our laws regarding such things are quite difficult and involved here.

The bits and pieces I built are documented in the garage section.

Attachments

• WIN_20220412_15_43_49_Pro (1).jpg
    WIN_20220412_15_43_49_Pro (1).jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 93
No top mount either! Perhaps a TrackMaster frame adapted to XS1 from BSA or Triumph. Dude is Jim Doyle, wrench before Shell Thuet and factory ride
Looks like a Track Master frame to me too and it has a Track master tank. My old 750 had a Champion frame with front mounts and a Champion frame had a distinct tail section. :shrug:
IMG_0009 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Can't remember if I've posted my build here before, I wasn't about to flip through 254 pages to check, so, just in case I haven't, here it is, a 74 TX. I fell of a bike once, so rather than risk falling off again, I fitted some stabiliser wheels, they're great as long as the road is nice and straight, not so much if you want to go around corners.

I bought some VM 34s to replace the BS38s, sourced a cheap, stator, rotor and regulator/rectifier, rebored the barrel, reground the valves, bought a new crankcase, replaced a few other bits and pieces, painted it black and reassembled with stainless Allen's.

Along the way I made and fitted a few other bits and pieces: Tail light, seat, side panels, battery carrier, ally engine mounts, cooler, remote filter, long ally manifolds, single points cam, single points backing plate, PMA mount, cable splitter, fuel distributor, a couple of harnesses., headlight brackets, painted the bike parts gloss black, polished the ally, welded up some mufflers and pipes, polished the hubs and rims and laced them together with stainless spokes, plus heaps of other little bits and pieces: exhaust brackets and clamps, brake anchor, regulator mount and so on.

It was going to be a cafe racer but my hands and elbows couldn't take the strain, so I made up a couple of risers to lift the bars and make it a bit more comfortable.

I decided one engine was enough: I have short arms so I wouldn't be able to reach the bars if I added another.

I painted it in lacquer first off, then started putting the bike together as I made the parts for it, so the paintwork got scratched to buggery. I've since repainted it in 2k. But I'm at it again, modifying and machining parts and already I've made a few new scratches.

Elbows, hands and hip aren't keen on playing anymore so the build is slowly grinding to a halt. Once back together all I have to do is fit tyres and cover the seat, baring any more mods I dream up of course.

I stuffed the seat base paint the other day, so stripped it back to bare metal, just got to hit it with some 2k again.

I would 've like to have built a new frame for it, lets face it, Yamaha's idea of a frame leaves a lot to be desired, but our laws regarding such things are quite difficult and involved here.

The bits and pieces I built are documented in the garage section.
Really really nice looking build!
I'm curious about the oil filter adaptor mounted in the right side case. Did you make that or... ?

Really really nice looking build!
I'm curious about the oil filter adaptor mounted in the right side case. Did you make that or... ?
Yep, I thought it looked a bit better than just screwing a right angle adapter into the original cover. Also machined a spin on filter mount and ally engine brackets to mount it on, along with the threaded barb for the filter and stainless fitting for the side cover and top of the filter mount. Hardest part was lining up the oil gallery from the pump and tapping it, not a lot of meat there, so if you're off a little it screws the side over.

Attachments

• oil inlet cover inside comparo.jpg
    oil inlet cover inside comparo.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 86
  • oil inlet cover outer.jpg
    oil inlet cover outer.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 79
  • oil filter housing inner.jpg
    oil filter housing inner.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 78
  • oil filter housing outer.jpg
    oil filter housing outer.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 82
  • engine mounts oil filter housing complete.jpg
    engine mounts oil filter housing complete.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 80
  • remote filter cooler fitted right.jpg
    remote filter cooler fitted right.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 90
  • remote filter cooler fitted right 2.jpg
    remote filter cooler fitted right 2.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 85
  • tapping the side cover.jpg
    tapping the side cover.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 87
Yep, I thought it looked a bit better than just screwing a right angle adapter into the original cover. Also machined a spin on filter mount and ally engine brackets to mount it on, along with the threaded barb for the filter and stainless fitting for the side cover and top of the filter mount. Hardest part was lining up the oil gallery from the pump and tapping it, not a lot of meat there, so if you're off a little it screws the side over.
You could sell every one of those you could make!

Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship. I wish I had your skills.

Back