TedBell

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Today was a beautiful almost-fall day. I spent almost a year working on this and have been thrilled to be riding it for the past several months. This winter I think I'm going to take the number plate off the front and go back to more normal headlight, and probably go from the dreaded pleated filters to a Uni pod - live and learn.

Thanks,
Ted
IMG_0095.jpeg

WideAWAKE

Single Fins and Twin Cylinders
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you! I set this one up pretty much like I have my original 81 set up, which has worn its Quicksilver fairing since the spring of 1982. The saddle mods came years later. I modify the seat pan to give a flat seating surface to start - then build up three different densities of foam from there. Attached is a pic of my other 81 - which has been in my garage since January of 1982 - photo taken at the Ozarks rally last spring.
I personally think specials are just an absolutely ugly motorcycle (I know that may not sit well around here haha) but both of yours look good. I consider that a huge accomplishment!!!

46th Georgia

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I personally think specials are just an absolutely ugly motorcycle (I know that may not sit well around here haha) but both of yours look good. I consider that a huge accomplishment!!

I personally think specials are just an absolutely ugly motorcycle (I know that may not sit well around here haha) but both of yours look good. I consider that a huge accomplishment!!!
Strangely, when I was a kid 19-20, I thought they were cool, to me they were kinda like a Sportster, only waaaaay cheaper. Now I look at them and think, "Boy, have my tastes changed". But that's why ice cream comes in so many flavors.