Well that`s certainly different.:yikes: Is that a stock frame that has been hardtailed and raked?:umm:
There's a back story, guess it's a wayback story pic is from 11 years ago. Think it was a Triumph hardtail frame with the XS motor dropped in, a bud built then brought it over to have the electrics sorted. I just rode round the yard. He took it to Sturgess and won at a bike show with it.
Here's a better shot. ;^)
1686309519550.png

1686309653196.png

Came across this XS500C semi-locally and couldn't pass it up.
4400 mi., new Dunlop K70's, air filter, petcocks, fuel lines, chain and rebuilt calipers and new pads.
I know these bikes have a bad reputation, but this one runs and sounds healthy.
Any tips to keep it from self-destructing would be appreciated!
Cool bike on the backroads in my area. :bike:

IMAG0060.JPG

From what I have gathered, the head cracking problem was sorted on the later year models. Guys who own the earlier ones swap over late model heads to them. An old member used to have a 76C XS500 and swore by it.

Izzat a 75? No expert but towards the end they beefed up the head so it didn't crack near the zaust valves.
It's a '76 and I've noticed an air scoop (?) above the rocker boxes under the tank.
Neat bike, smooth and it likes to rev. 9k redline. Light steering and excellent brakes for a vintage bike.

If it breaks, it breaks. :shrug:

There's a back story, guess it's a wayback story pic is from 11 years ago. Think it was a Triumph hardtail frame with the XS motor dropped in, a bud built then brought it over to have the electrics sorted. I just rode round the yard. He took it to Sturgess and won at a bike show with it.
Here's a better shot. ;^)
View attachment 244850

View attachment 244852
I think your right it's a Much better shot :whistle:
Sorry man you have a great smile but....

That is a really nice simple build. IMHO it needs wire spoke wheels.:thumbsup:
As is the case with every custom build, there are features that you like and those that you don't. I find that I usually have something or other that I think would be best changed. If I'm neither the builder nor the owner, I'll just have to defer to those who are. When I build for myself, I'll know what to do, what not to do ;) !

Among a few other little things I made the brake stay today. The closer I come to finishing this bike the more I realize that most of the pics on line are pics of unfinished bikes. Everytime I look around for ideas when working on the next thing to finish my bike , I notice more bikes that originally influenced me and see that they aren't finished. I'm starting to wonder how many of them ever got finished.

Back