- yes nuck-sweet, worth keeping that way too, if youre so inclined, there are fewer of these early models every year

I am going to keep it pretty much unmolested. Have my eye on another XS to do street tracker model. Just got to finish a couple of non XS projects first.
Thanks for the comments

I am going to keep it pretty much unmolested. Have my eye on another XS to do street tracker model. Just got to finish a couple of non XS projects first.
Thanks for the comments

Hey Nuck, Good call on keepin that baby stock. I would cry myself to sleep for days if you didnt.

Yeah, Nuck...I would never have the heart to molest one that clean lookin. Great lookin bike...on the other hand , this garage rat I just picked up...is gettin chopped. Have plans for a weld on hardtail. Gotta ebay some stuff and save the money...not waste it on stuff like food and heating oil this winter...LOL.:D

Attachments

• 1981 xs650 yamaha 002.jpg
    1981 xs650 yamaha 002.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 909
Yeah, Nuck...I would never have the heart to molest one that clean lookin. Great lookin bike...on the other hand , this garage rat I just picked up...is gettin chopped. Have plans for a weld on hardtail. Gotta ebay some stuff and save the money...not waste it on stuff like food and heating oil this winter...LOL.:D

I've got bigger rats than that in my garage:laugh: (long term rat 63 Bultaco and a YSR 50 for my daughter) always liked the hardtail look, just don't know if my tail could handle it. Keep us updated on the project. Remember you can always put on more clothes to keep warm:thumbsup:

OK...tell my wife that..Haha...if you look at my albums you will see I am running out of room for my toys...takes time to upkeep them all too. Not saying that I do that good a job of it. Need to ditch that J.O.B. for more time. LOL.

just got mine last night, title and PO says it's an '80 but insurance company says it's a 81 (according to VIN). New (hideous) seat, tires, rebuilt carbs, a haynes manual, an extra oil filter and oil for $900. I'm gonna go street tracker as time and money allow, here's what it looks like right now. I'll be putting blinkers back on, and replacing the handlebars ASAP.

CIMG3937.jpg

CIMG3936.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking bike.. well minus all the ugly stuff! haha. What I mean is, it will be a nice bike to turn into a tracker... How many miles are on it?

At least it got used! and was hopefully well maintained with about 1,500 miles a year since new so none of the seals got dried out. Looks like it's not leaking any oil. :thumbsup:

At least it got used! and was hopefully well maintained with about 1,500 miles a year since new so none of the seals got dried out. Looks like it's not leaking any oil. :thumbsup:

It's actually in REALLY nice shape for it's age and mileage. I just rode it about 50-60 miles and everything works as it should. I went to a few different shops looking for handlebars, but nobody had a 7/8 dirt track style bar. I'm on 650 central now ordering some. It has a tiny oil leak, I noticed around the cover for the oil filter (I think ? right side, little cover with 2 screws set in a bigger cover that says Yamaha). I'll prolly replace the gasket for now, and then get a "SPIN-ON OIL FILTER CONVERSION" cover later. It has decent power, semi-decent handling, and ok brakes. The weight however is outrageous... I think it weighs as much as my ZRX1200R did.

some one did a good job on those scallops. not to thin, not too thick.
What? you dont have a queen to fill the other half of your king/ queen seat?
As long as its still in good shape, should be able to sell it to some one. some one on this site inherited a 650 with a king queen seat. it looked like it needed restoring. he wants to update it, but I say restore it to the way dearolddad had it at all its king/queen, dual headlight, long forked, stock necked glory. who knowes, maybe its just what he needs.

some one did a good job on those scallops. not to thin, not too thick.
What? you dont have a queen to fill the other half of your king/ queen seat?
As long as its still in good shape, should be able to sell it to some one. some one on this site inherited a 650 with a king queen seat. it looked like it needed restoring. he wants to update it, but I say restore it to the way dearolddad had it at all its king/queen, dual headlight, long forked, stock necked glory. who knowes, maybe its just what he needs.

Yeah, I like the paint, but the seat is god awful. I'd prefer my wife not ride with me, I need some alone time so I don't murder her. Plus bikes handle so much better with one person on them. Once she admits she never wants to get on back I'll sell the seat and order my fiberglass SOLO seat !

jmc, cc'mon, you don't like those bar's?LOL.I couldn't wait to get rid of the buckhorns either. Street tracker, nice. The vin, if it's 17 digit's, it's a '81 or newer. Friend of mine got a really nice 81, but no title,& here in Ct., 17 digit's mean's you gotta have a title.There are way's around it, like a title search, but he's really busy with a newborn & new family stuff.
Keep us posted,ok? I like pic's just as much as everyone else here does.
BTW, Twin's is also on another site, & his avatar on that site is HOT.

jmc, cc'mon, you don't like those bar's?LOL.I couldn't wait to get rid of the buckhorns either. Street tracker, nice. The vin, if it's 17 digit's, it's a '81 or newer. Friend of mine got a really nice 81, but no title,& here in Ct., 17 digit's mean's you gotta have a title.There are way's around it, like a title search, but he's really busy with a newborn & new family stuff.
Keep us posted,ok? I like pic's just as much as everyone else here does.
BTW, Twin's is also on another site, & his avatar on that site is HOT.

the frame sticker is still there and it says manufactured in 79, so it's an 80. Not sure wtf the insurance lady is smoking. I'll start a thread when I start modding it.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Back