Hi Guys in the few months I have spent more hours working on this bike than all the bikes I have owned before combined LOL and with numerous other fettling jobs to be done Its a testament to the bikes that I'm still really enjoying it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The increased fork oil and new shocks have certainly brought sanity to the rides, less like a pogo stick LOL the customisation has taken a back seat as I want her sorted before I decide what to do ,what's funny is I wanted to bobber the bike but the bikes traditional look is actually starting to grow on me

Attachments

• DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 247
Hi Guys in the few months I have spent more hours working on this bike than all the bikes I have owned before combined LOL and with numerous other fettling jobs to be done Its a testament to the bikes that I'm still really enjoying it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The increased fork oil and new shocks have certainly brought sanity to the rides, less like a pogo stick LOL the customisation has taken a back seat as I want her sorted before I decide what to do ,what's funny is I wanted to bobber the bike but the bikes traditional look is actually starting to grow on me

I really couldn't bring myself to axe or bob that bike. I think I'd look for a rougher one, go from the ground up and leave that one as is. In that way you'd find more satisfaction and be able to ride while the build is in process.

Wyndmondham Go for it! just make changes that are reversible. Surprising how "custom" it can be and still go back to stock. Besides it's already got a quite a few mods on it.

Wyndmondham , I think it looks great! Of course I am a traditionalist. I like the stockers with some tasteful upgrades and mods of course to make them better bikes. You could find another beater to bob and still have one to ride....:thumbsup:

I have to agree with keeping it close to stock. You can easily find a bike that is in worst shape. This is where I'm at now. I actually stopped working on the bobber and went through my blue bike to give it the cleaning it deserved. The whole reason I got the second bike was to stop myself from cutting up the first one. I'm glad I did now. It's nice to take a day off from working in the shop and go ride!:bike:

Attachments

• JWXS4.jpg
    JWXS4.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 2012-04-08 19.50.42.jpg
    2012-04-08 19.50.42.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 218
With the tophalf painted and mounted, my XS650 road racer looks even better, I think. Ready for the second half of the season.
Jobs for this winter: raising the rear end, high level exhausts, stronger front fork springs, repainting the frame, 18" front wheel.

XS650%25202012-08-07%252020.51.46.jpg

I love that photo, Semiwrecker. It looks like one of those "first moment" photos - capturing the exact moment when a kid's passion for motorcycles was born.

With the tophalf painted and mounted, my XS650 road racer looks even better, I think. Ready for the second half of the season.
Jobs for this winter: raising the rear end, high level exhausts, stronger front fork springs, repainting the frame, 18" front wheel.

XS650%25202012-08-07%252020.51.46.jpg

That's my kind of road racer. Perfect. Sure, I love watching MotoGP, but they sound more like turbines than bikes, and have more computing power than a lunar module. That's why I enjoy my TX650A and '71 R60/5 airhead: you don't have to plug 'em into a diagnostic computer.

Have you added that frame tube running diagonally up from the swinging arm pivot?

Love it, we should compare notes! I finished my racer, took it to one track day, then promptly got transfered to China. Moving back home in a few weeks and getting my bike rolling again is top of my list.

Attachments

• MSR 2010 1.jpg
    MSR 2010 1.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 183
Rock solid is the best kind.

that's what she said!

This is my first bike, a '79, runnin' like a champ, just got it two days ago!

looks nice sn34ky, those pipes look like aftermarket exhaust from Mike's and maybe was running a bit lean...?? the blue color indicates HOT... keep an eye on it :thumbsup:

Well, I have had this bike for 7 years now. Dont have original pics, but started out as a stock 79 Special, black, original seat, sissy bar, windshield. Was in very good shape, bought it for $600, all it needed was a new battery.

Then I left it outside for a couple of Colorado winters and summers, the seat fell apart, at least 6 of my friends dumped the bike and nearly everything on it was broken. Side covers gone, tank very dented. A tow truck driver offered me $150 for it two years ago and I nearly took it, glad that I didnt.

What it looks like today:
full

I have changed a couple of things this year (bars and exhaust), have been really inspired by Tron's build (july xsotm) and poorman9's build. I really like the simple/clean/minimalist look.

I just took off the front fender and went for a ride on Saturday. My girl and I got to a gas station to avoid the rain, but it was very wet ride after! She didn't mind, so I am going to stick fenderless for a while.

I am looking at doing something with the rear fender/tail light.

My biggest issue is I am 6'4 with long legs. The mid pegs are slightly cramped for me, thinking about making some that sit about 3 inches forward. Could get the big foot lever from mikes, but I am not sure how to attack the rear brake lever. Maybe cut the current foot pad off or weld an extension on it.

Suggestions welcome!

Well, I have had this bike for 7 years now. Dont have original pics, but started out as a stock 79 Special, black, original seat, sissy bar, windshield. Was in very good shape, bought it for $600, all it needed was a new battery.

Then I left it outside for a couple of Colorado winters and summers, the seat fell apart, at least 6 of my friends dumped the bike and nearly everything on it was broken. Side covers gone, tank very dented. A tow truck driver offered me $150 for it two years ago and I nearly took it, glad that I didnt.

What it looks like today:
full

I have changed a couple of things this year (bars and exhaust), have been really inspired by Tron's build (july xsotm) and poorman9's build. I really like the simple/clean/minimalist look.

I just took off the front fender and went for a ride on Saturday. My girl and I got to a gas station to avoid the rain, but it was very wet ride after! She didn't mind, so I am going to stick fenderless for a while.

I am looking at doing something with the rear fender/tail light.

My biggest issue is I am 6'4 with long legs. The mid pegs are slightly cramped for me, thinking about making some that sit about 3 inches forward. Could get the big foot lever from mikes, but I am not sure how to attack the rear brake lever. Maybe cut the current foot pad off or weld an extension on it.

Suggestions welcome!

I'm 5-8 but wear heavy boots when riding and found Mike's Big Foot Shifter to be a big help to me especially with upshifts. If you move your foot pegs 3" to the front you'll probably need something longer than Mike's lever. IMHO.

Not quite finished, but the first time outside since we started the build last fall. What do you think?

photo-176.jpg

She is an 1979 Special. Mono shock conversion, donor from a CBR600RR. Lowered 2", sporty tank, clip on bars, 4" stretch in the swing arm, floating seat off the down tube, and all the electronics are in a box under the lower shock mount.

Back