Been a while in the making and a non-stop learning experience. Finally ready to hit the streets!

Wow that came out really nice! I’m curious, are those factory Yamaha wheels, just polished? They look very good, and also, what is this canister behind the capacitor?
672ECDD7-2614-40B7-8104-ABAA0D05460F.jpeg

Been a while in the making and a non-stop learning experience. Finally ready to hit the streets!
Wow.
Can't believe I'm just now seeing this.
Really nice build. I am interested in the finish on the engine casing and wheels. Stands out different which is something I like.
I will be devouring your build thread to discover those things and more. Well done!

Wow that came out really nice! I’m curious, are those factory Yamaha wheels, just polished? They look very good, and also, what is this canister behind the capacitor?
View attachment 220332
Thank you. Yes theese are the factory mag wheels. I stripped the original paint off, polished and repainted with a metallic. The canister pieces are actually the ends of the original starter. I tried to reuse as much of the original components in the build (starter, foot pegs, fender etc.). The center canister is a 3" aluminim pipe that I turned down in the lathe and polished. Its now the fuse box and ignition switch. I have posted randon pics of the build in my album over the years. Feel free to explore.

Attachments

• IMG_3385.JPG
    IMG_3385.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3204.JPG
    IMG_3204.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3271.JPG
    IMG_3271.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 77
Wow.
Can't believe I'm just now seeing this.
Really nice build. I am interested in the finish on the engine casing and wheels. Stands out different which is something I like.
I will be devouring your build thread to discover those things and more. Well done!
The rough aluminum casting areas of the wheels were stripped and repainted. The flat surfaces of the spokes and rims are polished. Engines cases and covers were vapor blasted.

My 1980 XS850 Special
32,XXX Miles
SideView.jpg

Mikuni VM34s (& a boatload of jets)
Delkovic exhaust (HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
Clip on handle bars
Cafe seat
LED headlight, taillight, signals
After market front/rear fenders
Electrical junction box for battery tray, leather dog collar to hold it in ;)
==========
Forks are done
Brake pads are new, I need to replace the lines/fluid
Needs a clutch (have the parts)
Still chasing an oil leak (replaced a couple gaskets so far)

Last edited:
Where i can find pics of twin engined xs’s?
I like to find how engines are joined each other. Is there two complete engines or one half cut engine?

I like to find how engines are joined each other. Is there two complete engines or one half cut engine?
I've been poking around trying to find some info. Most of the stuff I found deals with vintage, twin engined dragsters. I'm guessing there's not much on more modern twin engined bikes because, today you can get all the power you need from just one.
Those old Harley and triumph powered dragsters had transmissions that were separate from the engine. Pre-unit unit construction they call it.
For those bikes, 2 complete engines could be joined crankshaft to crankshaft with a chain. Then they were coupled to the transmission with a second chain from the rear motor. Usually just one or maybe 2 gears were left in the trans for drag racing.
Not sure how you would join 2 XS650 motors since the transmissions are integral to the engine cases.
Maybe a single custom made gear in the front trans that would turn the output shaft 1to1 with the crank?

I dunno but it would be interesting to see how Allen Millyard would do it. Working in an ordinary garage with pretty much ordinary tools, he would perhaps half the two XS650 engines, join the crankshafts, weld the cases and build a straight four? Or maybe he would double up the conrods and end up with a Vee-4? Or maybe he would take five XS engines and build a radial ten cylinder powerplant?

I dunno but it would be interesting to see how Allen Millyard would do it. Working in an ordinary garage with pretty much ordinary tools, he would perhaps half the two XS650 engines, join the crankshafts, weld the cases and build a straight four? Or maybe he would double up the conrods and end up with a Vee-4? Or maybe he would take five XS engines and build a radial ten cylinder powerplant?
Millyard is pretty amazing, perhaps someone should send him 2 old xs engines. I've also seen several YouTube videos where this guy cuts up old Honda Cub singles (or clones) and makes Vtwins, opposed twins, vertical twins and who knows what.

Back