Today was a beautiful almost-fall day. I spent almost a year working on this and have been thrilled to be riding it for the past several months. This winter I think I'm going to take the number plate off the front and go back to more normal headlight, and probably go from the dreaded pleated filters to a Uni pod - live and learn.

Thanks,
Ted
IMG_0095.jpeg

Thank you! I set this one up pretty much like I have my original 81 set up, which has worn its Quicksilver fairing since the spring of 1982. The saddle mods came years later. I modify the seat pan to give a flat seating surface to start - then build up three different densities of foam from there. Attached is a pic of my other 81 - which has been in my garage since January of 1982 - photo taken at the Ozarks rally last spring.
I personally think specials are just an absolutely ugly motorcycle (I know that may not sit well around here haha) but both of yours look good. I consider that a huge accomplishment!!!

I personally think specials are just an absolutely ugly motorcycle (I know that may not sit well around here haha) but both of yours look good. I consider that a huge accomplishment!!

I personally think specials are just an absolutely ugly motorcycle (I know that may not sit well around here haha) but both of yours look good. I consider that a huge accomplishment!!!
Strangely, when I was a kid 19-20, I thought they were cool, to me they were kinda like a Sportster, only waaaaay cheaper. Now I look at them and think, "Boy, have my tastes changed". But that's why ice cream comes in so many flavors.

Our 75b that gets to stay in the family and a Hitchhiker Sidecar project that joined together nicely.Fun outfit.

Attachments

• 143AF3F3-91AD-486F-93C6-03C04BE978CA.jpeg
    143AF3F3-91AD-486F-93C6-03C04BE978CA.jpeg
    370.1 KB · Views: 76
Not a good picture, not an exciting location, just happy to get my bike back on the road for the first time this year!

Turns out toddlers are expensive, so I haven't insured the bike at all this year. Hoping for a few weeks of riding before it goes away for winter.

Attachments

• PXL_20220927_130923827.jpg
    PXL_20220927_130923827.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 75
Good video of XS2 from the cockpit (warning narrator talks too much, keep mute handy) and the bike sounds awesome

I just watched this last night...was a bummer when he lost the side cover while riding around their loop. I have two early XS's that previous owners had done the same thing with. One cover got smashed by car behind him and the cover from the other bike got severely scratched and chipped from bouncing/sliding along the pavement...ugh. Incidentally, you're right...man that guy is a talker!!

bummer when he lost the side cover while riding around their loop. I have two early XS's that previous owners had done the same thing with. One cover got smashed by car behind him and the cover from the other bike got severely scratched and chipped from bouncing/sliding along the pavement...ugh.

I have also heard that tale of woe from other early bike owners. The early bike sidecovers are held on by a special bolt. As a safety precaution, I used to give the threads of those bolts a few wraps of Teflon plumbers tape, so that they fit snug in the threads.
AD415EE6-E4C3-4468-AE2B-B71CCFAE38C0.png

Back