Lifting Stock 83' Seat

tommytwohands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there,

First time motorcyclist, first time owner of a XS650 (83' Special), and first time poster on the forums. I've been loving riding and learning this bike but am currently stumped by the most trivial thing - I have found that for the life of me I cannot figure out how to lift the seat of this bike. It is the original 83' two seater.
Any help would be appreciated on where to look for a latch or key hole or general procedure for lifting!

Thanks!

There is a key-operated combination seat lock/helmet holder at the bottom rear of the right-side seat edge.
The latch can become balky, and sometimes the seats are difficult to lift, even with the key.

Yes, the lock is located just behind the rear shock on the right side .....

Installed.jpg

There is a pin sticking out it's back side that blocks pulling the seat release lever. Opening the lock retracts the pin into it and allows the lever to be pulled back to release the seat .....

Installed2.jpg

The frame brackets for the seat latch are bent down on the end, forming a hook. The spring loaded hook on the seat curves up. Think of it as two curved fingers locked together.
Going just off experience on my '80, lifting up on either side of the seat pulls the hooks tighter against each other, make it harder to release them.
Pushing down on the rear of the seat makes it easier to release the latch.

'80 and up seat latch 1.png

'80 and up seat latch 2.png

\
'80 and up seat latch 3.png

'80 and up seat latch.png

There is a key-operated combination seat lock/helmet holder at the bottom rear of the right-side seat edge.
The latch can become balky, and sometimes the seats are difficult to lift, even with the key.
Thanks!! I didn't realize that the helmet lock was also serving as the seat lock. The seat came off smoothly and clicked back into place easily!

Yes, the lock is located just behind the rear shock on the right side .....

View attachment 207219

There is a pin sticking out it's back side that blocks pulling the seat release lever. Opening the lock retracts the pin into it and allows the lever to be pulled back to release the seat .....

View attachment 207220
Thank you for the pics, very helpful! Managed to get it off

Back