Look what followed me home!

crashcourse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Spotted this little gem on my way to church a couple of weeks ago. Finally connected with the owner and bought it off of him - happy birthday to me! The frame is a '79 but the engine and most of the parts are (I believe) off a '78.

Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or flip it. It does run, but needs a new battery and help with the wiring. Also, pod filters are in order and a general clean up. After that, we'll see.

Attachments

• 388.jpg
    388.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 222
  • 389.jpg
    389.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 231
It might be an '80. Those are 1980 BS34 carbs and I don't see a points wire coming out of the points housing.

Rear disk & cast grabrail sez 1980. Steel sidecovers sez earlier.
Has it got stuff under the points cover?
Hmmm, Frankenbike?

Well, I'm gonna goooo.................the Frame is an 80 and the metal side-covers are zip tied to the frame and in the first pic the tab for the plastic side-cover can be seen.

The rear indicators on the 78/79/80G frames are mounted on the grab-rail, there is no provision on the frame for them. On this bike the indicators mount on the frame and the shape of the lug is exactly the same on my 80SG.

Frame 80SG........ May have a late, (August to December 79), manufacturing date as the production models run over 2 years and the later year is the model date.

Motor has BS34's and Speedo and tower on the gauge cluster are 80 and later and there seems to be one warning light in the Taco. If so the cluster is the 80 and later. If the seat is a clip on that's a tell its 80 and on.............

Vin needs to be checked on the motor and frame to verify.

Attachments

• XS650 ID chart  pg 1.jpg
    XS650 ID chart pg 1.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 156
  • XS650 ID chart  pg 2.jpg
    XS650 ID chart pg 2.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 172
I knew I could count on you guys.

By the VIN the frame is an XS-F, and at least some of the parts are from an XS-SE. When did they stop having double petcocks? It has a CDI under the battery box, and if the carbs are from an '80...

Frankenbike is sounding more and more likely. Still, it was in good enough shape to ride home (three blocks - I'm glad it wasn't more). The engine sounds good with just a little bit of tapping from the valves. The exhaust sounds good and I think the tank is pretty clean. Starter still works even. Engine has only 13500 miles. Cosmetically its in rough shape, but not as bad as it could be.

If I decide to do a custom at least I'll know I'm not molesting a pristine stocker.

Double petcocks went away in 1980 with the introduction of the BS34 carbs, so it appears the tank at least is from '78 or '79. Whole motor and carbs could be 1980.

Bet there's gold hidden in that one, gold paint that is, looks like a 71 with a 72 tank and the rest of the tins painted (somewhat) to match. LOL Nice find! If the red is rattle can I'm looking hard for factory gold side covers and will work to uncover it.

Oh my! I can hardly believe what I'm reading. Air boxes are finally starting to get some respect. Beware of the "Pod guys" coming by your house to dissuade you from your evil ways.:D

Being an engineer myself I really respect the original intent of the designers. If I can figure out a system that works better I'll change it later, but for now I'm sticking to the tried and true.

What can I say, Yes, I'm an addict. These followed me home from Ohio this weekend.
883 Sporty that needs new tranny output bearing due to too high drive belt tension. Wife's brother bought it used, drove it a while till it developed the problem, gave it to me with title, said if I fix it can do what I want with it, if I sell it then split it with him. I'll sell it of make a Hooligan tracker out of it.
82 or 83 Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate, was my wife's mothers. She rode till she was 70, dropped it and hasn't been touched since, that's been 14 years ago. Some rash, crack in fairing. Has full gamut of accessories for it, quick detach bags, two different size rear trunks, rear pillion and sissybar. Going to attempt to resurrect it. Front brake is froze up and throttle cable also
IMG_20210906_162044688.jpg
IMG_20210906_170428735_HDR.jpg

What can I say, Yes, I'm an addict. These followed me home from Ohio this weekend.
883 Sporty that needs new tranny output bearing due to too high drive belt tension. Wife's brother bought it used, drove it a while till it developed the problem, gave it to me with title, said if I fix it can do what I want with it, if I sell it then split it with him. I'll sell it of make a Hooligan tracker out of it.
82 or 83 Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate, was my wife's mothers. She rode till she was 70, dropped it and hasn't been touched since, that's been 14 years ago. Some rash, crack in fairing. Has full gamut of accessories for it, quick detach bags, two different size rear trunks, rear pillion and sissybar. Going to attempt to resurrect it. Front brake is froze up and throttle cable alsoView attachment 197770 View attachment 197771
I like both of them. I particularly like the Sportster. Just get rid of the forward controls and I think they're great. They're also plentiful and cheap, for now. They're also as good or better for a custom than the XS650.

Back