Looking for a mentor in the Cincinnati area

JeffMc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi - First post, so may get it wrong (given I haven't seen similar posts). I've got an '80 XS650 I bought a couple years ago. Seemed to run fine when I bought it but I didn't drive it much until I replaced both dry rotted tires. Nonetheless, I've spent most of my time just detailing the bike, took apart the carbs, replaced from brake, small stuff. But, even though I've not put 100 miles on the bike, it continues to run worse and worse.
I'm not so cheap that I can't have it all fixed and detailed, but I bought this so I can work on it. But I have just learned, I'm not sure what I'm chasing or where to start.
So, right now I'm not looking for advise, I'd rather start by looking for someone in the Cincinnati area who can serve as my mentor...even in a paid capacity. If I can do the work, I'd rather.

Welcome to the forum!
You have come to the best place there is for all things xs650. There are people hear that know more about these bikes than those that built them. Please feel free to share pics of your bike.
Some of our eagle eyed members can spot issues you are unaware of from photos as alone.
I realize you are seeking a mentor to help guide you in person, but don't dismiss the help that is available in this space. It would help to know more about you and your abilities/experience wrenching. I invite you to check out the Tech Section here.
A more detailed description of the issues you are having will also make it easier to help you diagnose your issues.
Lastly I would encourage you to ask the forum about any parts before you purchase them. Through community experience there are some vendors that are sell better quality and or cheaper parts depending on the part.
Perhaps save you some headaches or money.
We are glad to have you joining the madhouse and looking forward to seeing you enjoying your bike.

Welcome!

I'm 3hrs due East - a little far for in-person assist - but, there's dang few things that cannot be resolved here with enough info., pictures and available tools (sometimes a video).

Post away!.....

Welcome aboard!
You're about an hour and a half away from me to the east.
Like mentioned above, post some pics and ask questions on any issues you may have. I'm curious on the year you have. Mags were stock on the '81 but red is the color for the '79 along with mags-but a rear disc brake, not a drum brake. '81 had the drum brake mags......post some pics, discuss some issues.

Hi - First post, so may get it wrong (given I haven't seen similar posts). I've got an '80 XS650 I bought a couple years ago. Seemed to run fine when I bought it but I didn't drive it much until I replaced both dry rotted tires. Nonetheless, I've spent most of my time just detailing the bike, took apart the carbs, replaced from brake, small stuff. But, even though I've not put 100 miles on the bike, it continues to run worse and worse.
I'm not so cheap that I can't have it all fixed and detailed, but I bought this so I can work on it. But I have just learned, I'm not sure what I'm chasing or where to start.
So, right now I'm not looking for advise, I'd rather start by looking for someone in the Cincinnati area who can serve as my mentor...even in a paid capacity. If I can do the work, I'd rather.

Welcome JeffMc,

A good way to start is to make a dedicated thread for your bike. Stay in the thread with all your problems. Start with one thing and stay on it till the issue has been sorted.

Some time what looks to be electrical issues can be carbs and other times what look to be carb issues can be electrical. So it is best to start on the electrics and eliminate possibilities by diagnostics and working your way to the carbs.

Going through the loom on an old bike is the best thing, and first in my mind) to do. This makes sure that your electrics are 100% getting to where it need s to go. That means going through all connectors, both bullet, multi wire couplings and all switches, (bar left and right and ignition) and all Earth/Grounds and cleaning them from corrosion, fixing loose or broken wires and replacing any connector that is disintegrating.

You may think because the bike was running ok doing a full loom clean up isn't necessacery. it is because full power from the charging system to the battery to the points is krux of the bike running properly.

A couple of links.
Start here XSleo explains this in a laymans terms
https://www.xs650.com/threads/what-happens-when-you-turn-your-key-on.9625/

great electrical guide
http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm

A lot of problems people have chased through carbs have ended up being Ground/earth problems
https://www.xs650.com/threads/grounds-so-important.41775/

Gotta learn how to use
https://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-use-multimeter.27826/

This will eliminate problems and also while doing those you get to learn about your loom/Harness the wires where to and the colours
https://www.xs650.com/threads/continuity-testing-made-easy.49917/

This is a great article on the harnesses and as it states...... Musings
https://www.xs650.com/threads/wiring-harness-musings.18925/

people have come on here with no mechanical knowledge, experience or tools and with the help from members on here they have stripped down their engine and rebuilt it, Especially the top end.

Pics are important to make sure we are all on the same page and as is with these bikes often parts have been swapped between yeas/models as with these bikes it is east to do. Not that it is bad or a problem but as an example from 1974 to 79 the carbs are BS38s but every 2 years the carb internas,l jetting and needles were changed, so there are 3 different set ups with the 74-79 BS38's.

1980-83/4 the carbs were changed to BS34's but if in the past an op had problems, he may have, or could have, changed his carbs from another year to his bike...........Again pics are important so we can help identify the area we are working on.

Bookmark the links i have posted, go and start a dedicated thread with some pics, stating your problems and history of the bike, whats been done to your knowledge, some info on yourself, especially any experience or capabilities mechanically.

Tech menu is good, can also use the search, (top right), as there is often tip bits can be gleamed that may not be in the Tech menu.

Anyways just an idea of what is on offer and some reading to get you started

Thank you for all the replies and the encouragement to use all the great resources right here on XS650.Com! I will gather all the facts and pics about my bike w/7200 miles on it. The VIN traces to 1980 XS650SGR (Cardinal Red) and the only thing I can see not original are BS38 carbs in lieu of 34s (@650Skull must've figured that out already). While it's no guarantee of competency, I am an engineer. I can turn a wrench without saying "lefty loosey, rightee tightee" and I can take pics/videos with better quality than the photographers of sasquatch. To be clear, navigating my way around my multimeter may be my blindspot. So, give me a few days and I'll re-post the details and take the advice from my online mentors! Thanks again!
For clarity, where are you suggesting I post the new thread?

Last edited:
Uh oh, what happened?? The above was my first post looking for some Cincinnati owners...possible mentors. I had a host of replies within 24 hours encouraging me to put the "Garage" forum to the test after posting some pictures of my bike and description of issues. I posted that a week ago and have only had a single reply...looking for a diagnostic starting point based on the video. Any suggestions?
https://www.xs650.com/threads/my-1980-xs650sgr-looking-for-help.62527/#post-758217

Back