Sold / Found / Inactive - Looking for misc. parts for my 69 XS1 engine

eazyrider

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I scored a late 69 XS1 engine with HHB CDI/PMA kit for cheap while on the hunt for parts for my other chop. All I'm missing is the coil and the parts to the left cover(bolts, clutch pushrod adjuster & cover, and the alternator cover). Do I have to buy the same HHB coil that it originally came with or can I use any other dual output one?

So I'm looking for:
- Coil that works with the HHB CDI/PMA kit
- Left side crankcase cover (Any year is fine, I'll make it work)
- 1 good BS38 carb
- Left case cover allen-head bolts

- Alternator cover
- clutch pushrod adjuster and its chrome pop-off cover
- 18" rear WM wheel

Last edited:
Do I have to buy the same HHB coil that it originally came with or can I use any other dual output one?
To save future frustration and $; first, it needs determined if you have HHB's CDI system with PMA or just the HHB PMA - he sells both and the "PMA only" will not upgrade to the CDI. There should be two extra electronic boxes with the CDI/PMA.
If you have the CDI/PMA a CDI compatible coil - 1.5 Ohm primary, dual output would work.

It came with the whole kit. PMA, CDI black box (at first glance I thought it was a fuse box), black and silver rec, and capacitor. The guy had removed the points and it was leaking oil through the unblocked holes while he rode it apparently so he didn't want it. Only catch was the missing cover, cracked top mount, and one cracked BS38 with ruined diaphram.

Appreciate the help!

I'll try to confirm my info exactly later today but: The later LH covers retain the boss for the one different early bolt location, it wouldn't be "real" difficult to drill/mill it open to mount on an early motor.
The down side is that bolt is one with the locating dowel which needs to be placed accurately.

Attachments

• xs1 covers.JPG
    xs1 covers.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 56
I'll try to confirm my info exactly later today but: The later LH covers retain the boss for the one different early bolt location, it wouldn't be "real" difficult to drill/mill it open to mount on an early motor.
The down side is that bolt is one with the locating dowel which needs to be placed accurately.
I've got a spare 82 with a good cover I could try. Are the clutch cable attachment points any different?

Hugh's listing for replacement parts - coil is cheaper than most - and list specs and various helpful tests:
https://www.hughshandbuilt.com/product/cdi-replacement-parts/
Nice!

I've got a spare 82 with a good cover I could try. Are the clutch cable attachment points any different?
no just that bolt.
By loosely mounting a later cover with the dowel pin in the crankcase some light tapping on that boss should mark the cover for accurate drilling of the recess to accept it.

no just that bolt.
By loosely mounting a later cover with the dowel pin in the crankcase some light tapping on that boss should mark the cover for accurate drilling of the recess to accept it.
Cool I'm gonna give it a try. I just wish my 82s cover was in as good of shape as the xs1, damn thing looks brand new haha but unfortunately for me, the coil is out of stock... But I'm on the waitlist so time will tell. Would anyone happen to have the CDI/PMA install manual saved that I could use?

My main concern now is the missing points and rod. Has anyone ever heard of running the motor with it removed and just open to air?

So I'm looking for:
- XS1 left side crankcase cover
Between here and eBay, it shouldn't take too long to score a cover. I setup my search for XS1 parts on eBay and scored a LH/LS cover for my 1971 XS1B for $65. I really wasn't looking that long.

Between here and eBay, it shouldn't take too long to score a cover. I setup my search for XS1 parts on eBay and scored a LH/LS cover for my 1971 XS1B for $65. I really wasn't looking that long.
Yup I'm on ebay right now as I type with zero luck other than a busted one in Austrailia; I'm holding out for a deal though.

Yup I'm on ebay right now as I type with zero luck other than a busted one in Austrailia; I'm holding out for a deal though.

To further clarify, I created and saved XS1 in my saved searches and then waited for the daily email notification of new parts listed in that search category. I then scored shortly thereafter.

To further clarify, I created and saved XS1 in my saved searches and then waited for the daily email notification of new parts listed in that search category. I then scored shortly thereafter.
Appreciate the tip, I didn't know you could do that. Just set mine up as well

Appreciate the tip, I didn't know you could do that. Just set mine up as well
You are welcome and good luck. Be sure to also check out a seller's other parts, as of course, not everything for sale will be listed in the email. Now that I am thinking about it, it was an RH timing side cover that was showcased in the email. I searched the seller's other items and found the LS left-side cover for sale

My main concern now is the missing points and rod. Has anyone ever heard of running the motor with it removed and just open to air?
If you're asking about the advance rod through the cam and the points cam, advance, etc; yes it can be run without any of that stuff installed. I do think you want to run the outer covers - even if empty underneath.

You are welcome and good luck. Be sure to also check out a seller's other parts, as of course, not everything for sale will be listed in the email. Now that I am thinking about it, it was an RH timing side cover that was showcased in the email. I searched the seller's other items and found the LS left-side cover for sale
Thanks! That's a great idea, I just messaged the dude I bought the frame from off ebay. Hopefully he has one, he's only got the RH cover up for sale currently. I wonder why so many people remove the LH side though and what happens to them afterwards? Seems like they just disappear

If you're asking about the advance rod through the cam and the points cam, advance, etc; yes it can be run without any of that stuff installed. I do think you want to run the outer covers - even if empty underneath.
Awesome!

I wonder why so many people remove the LH side though and what happens to them afterwards? Seems like they just disappear

That's a good question and a weird phenomenon!! Likewise, my '71 didn't have an LS cover on it when I got it and there are remains of the cover still on it at the front. That leads me to believe that it may have fallen over, destroying the cover in the process. It would seem that the footrest would prevent this from happening but anything is possible.

That's a good question and a weird phenomenon!! Likewise, my '71 didn't have an LS cover on it when I got it and there are remains of the cover still on it at the front. That leads me to believe that it may have fallen over, destroying the cover in the process. It would seem that the footrest would prevent this from happening but anything is possible.
Good point and how these engine are shaped I can see someone removing it, setting it down and it falling over, possibly messing up the cover and they took it off. The possibilities are endless. I'm deadset on finding one though, this engine is just too cool to leave incomplete

Back