Looking to replace rear shocks.

Sudonate91

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Father in law wants to ride a bunch this summer! Everything is in good riding order but my front and rear shocks are... Shot...

I'm looking to replace my rear shocks and rebuild my forks. Along with a new rear swingarm bushing.

Hoping to get the best bang for my buck for rear shocks. From what ive read hear it's Progressives (from 650 central) > Hagons (from mikexs) > or something nice used?. I have also read bumping up to 13.5" eye to eye makes for a good ride.

Some threads on here call out redwings. There is some for sale on ebay right now that seem decent? https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-NEW-Re...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Wutcha think? Go or no go? If not I might just go with the Hagons from mikexs given they will be the cheapest 'quality' route.

Last edited:
I agree with you that Hagon shock absorbers are start point for proper rear suspension.
No idea about Redwings.
You might like to look at YSS and Gazi both make shocks for XS 650's don't be put off that they are made in Thailand they are good units, not sure of the pricing in the US though.

Also endorse the Hagons - have them on my W800. Along with Hagon progressive forks springs, they have transformed the bike, far better feeling going round bends on bumpy British roads.

I fitted YSS to my XS650 and again it was night & day compared with the knackered old originals. One started to leak after a couple of months but the seller - Brook Suspension - replaced the pair at no charge. Brook said the fault was a one-off, they have supplied hundreds of YSS shocks and have never seen that fault before.

They are made in Thailand but so are Triumph motorcycles and I suspect YSS manufactures the suspension for Triumphs?

I agree with you that Hagon shock absorbers are start point for proper rear suspension.
No idea about Redwings.
You might like to look at YSS and Gazi both make shocks for XS 650's don't be put off that they are made in Thailand they are good units, not sure of the pricing in the US though.

Yeah I'm seeing 600-800$ for YSS and Gazi unless I'm missing a vendor. 😩

I’ve done business with that EBay seller that you posted a link to, no problems at all. As for shocks, on my XS2 the stock shocks rode like a hard tail, I found a set of Ikons on Ebay that have transformed the ride, comfortable, compliant, and good handling. I would not hesitate to install Hagons either.
My Ikons,
0DEC58E1-2F99-49F6-A8C2-05584381AA2E.jpeg

I’ve done business with that EBay seller that you posted a link to, no problems at all. As for shocks, on my XS2 the stock shocks rode like a hard tail, I found a set of Ikons on Ebay that have transformed the ride, comfortable, compliant, and good handling. I would not hesitate to install Hagons either.
My Ikons,
Oh those look great and good to know about that seller! I see some praises for redwings here and here. Seems like a good deal for 120$ shipped. Of course they are older so they wont perform like newer shocks. I just need something better than what I got - about every bridge I hit, it bottoms out or gets damn near bottoming out o_O

I have take offs from a new(er) triumph scrambler. They around about 13-13.5" they ride nice for what I paid, which was 100, and I'm hefty to say the least. If I were you, I'd get Hagons and never look back. While the more expensive options would be better if you're not going to ride to their potential and just want better handling and not bottoming out they're a waste of money. Unlike eBay sellers Hagon will have support after the fact, and for not much money. Suspension makes or breaks a bike in my mind, go Hagons, enjoy the ride

Oh those look great and good to know about that seller! I see some praises for redwings here and here. Seems like a good deal for 120$ shipped. Of course they are older so they wont perform like newer shocks. I just need something better than what I got - about every bridge I hit, it bottoms out or gets damn near bottoming out o_O

I agree, they seem to be a quality shock. In that second reference link you provided, 2M made a comment about shock diameter and chain guard clearance. That is an issue you need to be aware of. It’s hard to see in this photo, but I had to bend my chain guard to provide enough clearance for my Ikons, I’ve even known guys that have cut a notch on their chain guards to accommodate bigger shocks. ,
B756EF7A-2B6C-4C98-967A-1B6403254FA3.jpeg

Jesse, makes a good point about Hagons, they have a slimmer body that for sure wouldn’t have any clearance issues. But I also understand trying to work with a budget. Let us know what you decide, and a follow up on the fit? Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

I rebuilt the forks on both of my 650’s, I just replaced the seals. You can’t believe the sludge that drained out , or in one case, the lack of oil. They need a good cleaning inside, new seals and fresh oil made my forks remarkably better. Also on my XS2 , I was surprised to find that someone before me had them apart and put them back together minus several small pieces. So they really need to be looked over.
Some guys swear by doing the Minton mods ( you can look it up here on the forum)but I never did any mods and I think my forks work very well.

A tip I poached from @gggGary , to remove those really stuck fork seals, I’ve seen a lot of damage done by guys prying with screwdrivers. If you have a small tire iron, clamp it in a vise and pry against it, like so,
2573252E-4914-4538-B3A0-43EDC3548B63.jpeg

And a word of caution, if you clamp your lower fork leg in a vise to work on it, use blocks of wood and don’t clamp it tight, I had to buy a set of replacement forks from a wrecker, for my XS2, because someone had mashed the lower legs in a vise and made them egg shaped, so bad that the upper fork legs were getting stuck internally.

HAGON! The OE takeoff route as posted by @JesseeS is also good and saves $$ especially if you're going to experiment with length.

For the front, take them apart. Check the free length of the springs. If they're in spec, put it back together with new seals and fresh 10W fork oil. I raise the oil level to tune my own, but the factory spec is just fine.

You can clamp firmly on the flats at the bottom end where the axle goes through and the washer and axle spacer sit
The Redwings are probably fine and the price is inviting. I may even buy a pair at that price for another application.

However, if you look at the photos above you may have clearance issues with the chain guard with the Redwing because the springs come down further on the shock body than the Hagon pictured

Last edited:
@Sudonate91 FWIW my triumph takeoffs are 14" eye to eye. I'm getting racetech gs3 rears for mine and these shocks are just sitting off to the side. I ran without a chain guard so can't comment on that. If you're interested in trying sizes/thickness of shock body I'd let them go for $20 plus whatever actual shipping is. More than likely $40 all in. If this interests you let me know.

@Sudonate91 FWIW my triumph takeoffs are 14" eye to eye. I'm getting racetech gs3 rears for mine and these shocks are just sitting off to the side. I ran without a chain guard so can't comment on that. If you're interested in trying sizes/thickness of shock body I'd let them go for $20 plus whatever actual shipping is. More than likely $40 all in. If this interests you let me know.
That's very tempting. 14" seems a little tall compared to what most extend to? The chain guard sitaution does have me leery though. Im really leaning into the Hagons. BUT 40$ vs 240$ :er:

It is slightly taller than most who raise their shocks swap to. If you pass I won't be offended haha. Just thought I'd offer them up. That said when I was riding I didn't feel they effected the riding in any negative way. I rode them pretty aggressively and they kept up for the most part

It is slightly taller than most who raise their shocks swap to. If you pass I won't be offended haha. Just thought I'd offer them up. That said when I was riding I didn't feel they effected the riding in any negative way. I rode them pretty aggressively and they kept up for the most part
Do you have any pics of them?

Back